Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry it took me so long to update. I broke my leg and got in a fight with my beta, so this chapter has not been beta read.
Spike looked, there was a man who appeared to be in his mid to late thirties approach the building they were watching. He matched the picture of the license they had pulled up, so they decided to go question him.

As they got out of the car and approached the man Buffy had her hand on the gun. You never knew what was going to happen. Spike was the first to talk.

“Hello, are you Sean Daniels? We’d like to ask you a few questions if you don’t mind. We’re L.A.P.D.”

The instant Spike said they were cops Sean set off in a run. Buffy and Spike were in quick pursuit. They managed to corner him in a nearby alley.

“Calm down. We just wanted to talk to you about someone who you used to work with. We just have a few questions.” Buffy spoke in a very calming soothing tone.

“Look, just by me being here with you they might kill me. You have no idea what you guys are dealing with. If I was you I would just drop whatever investigation you have before you get to deep.” Sean’s voice was shaky.

“Listen mate, we are big boys and girls here. We are on the right side of the law. We can handle whatever information you give us. We can also arrange protection for you if you are willing to testify about whatever you know. It’s a win, win situation.” Spike offered without consulting his partner.

“I do not think that you understand what I’m saying. Hell, I’ve been here too long already. I have to go. Just let me go home. I know you have nothing on me. You can’t hold me.”

“You are right, but Sean, we just wanted to ask a few questions. That’s all. No one ever has to know. We can say that we got the information from an anonymous source. Pretty please just a few questions.” Spike couldn’t believe how thick Buffy was laying on the charm. But it seemed to work. Sean looked a little less sweaty and shaky.

“Fine, I will just tell you enough so you know where to start looking. Which case are you guys investigating anyways?”

“Um, we are not investigating a case, yet, we are homicide detectives. We are here to ask you about your coworker, John Warner. He was found brutally murdered last night in his home. His wife was also slain. We understand that you worked with Mr. Warner and were wondering if you could shed some light on what he was working on that might have been enough to get him eviscerated.” Buffy inquired.

“Oh God, John’s dead. They will come after me next. We were working together on a big case. It was not going that well. We were working on the defense for Corbin Fries. He has his hands in everything dirty in LA. The prosecution has almost everything they could dream of. John and I were looking for loopholes in the law. John had been acting strange lately though. I don’t know what was going on with him. Listen, that’s more than I should have ever told you. I have to get myself out of town. Good luck on your case. Hope you find whoever killed him.” Sean looked as if he was going to pass out. He walked around Buffy and Spike out of the alley.

They had just enough time to look at one another before the heard a blood curdling scream. Buffy pulled out her gun as she ran. Spike blurred past her to the source of the sound.

Sean had been surrounded. There were at least four guys attacking him. Spike arrived just in time to see him get his neck snapped. He leaped on the closest guy and started fighting. Buffy aimed her gun but with Spike in the fray it would be almost impossible not to shoot him so she did the next logical thing and joined the fight. That’s when she saw the oddest thing. The guy Spike was fighting turned into dust. Then she saw him twist off the next attackers head and he turned to dust.

“Buffy, stay back I can handle it.”

Like hell she was. She was beating her guy when his faced changed. He looked almost like a monster. Buffy screamed. This caused Spike to turn around and come to her aid. He took what looked like a wooden stake and stabbed the guy. He turned into dust just like the others had. Buffy looked up at Spike to thank him but screamed and ran instead.



Buffy could not believe what she saw. Spike’s face looked the same as those monsters. Her mind was racing a mile per minute. Were these the things that had killed Mr. Warner? If Spike was a monster why was he pretending to be a cop? Was this was Sean was so afraid of? Crap, their only cooperative informant was dead and her partner was a hideous monster. This was a great day. She decided to just go home and try to figure this out in the morning.

On her way home she had three missed calls from Spike. She did not feel like talking to a monster at that moment. When she got home there was an unexpected site. Spike was sitting outside her front door.

“Buffy, luv. I can explain. Just give me a minute to explain.” Spike pleaded.

“Explain what Spike? You’re some sort of monster. I do not know what type of sick game you were playing with me and my job but get away. Why don’t you run back to your boss, Corbin Fries? Listen, I appreciate you saving my life and that is the only thing that is keeping me from shooting you where you stand. So please get out of my way.” Buffy pushed passed him and opened her front door; she stepped inside leaving Spike to talk to her pleading to the semi-closed door.

“Buffy you need to listen to me. Yes, I am a vampire, but I was sent here to help you. I’m not a monster like the rest. I’m different. I’m here to help you. Don’t shut your door on me. I can tell you why you’re so strong, why you are drawn to the things that go bump in the night. Wes knows what I am and what I am here to do. We just want to help you Buffy.”

“Ok, you have my attention. Tell me why I am the way I am. Tell me what’s been going on around here and why I should take the word of a monster like you.” Buffy practically spat at him.

“Let’s go inside pet away from prying eyes.” Spike pleaded.

“I’m not standing in your way any more.” Buffy stated.

“You have to invite me inside. That’s one of the rules of being a vampire.”

“Fine but you have to promise not to kill me. I have a gun and I’m not afraid to use it. I invite you in, Spike.” And just like that one of the most important conversations Buffy Summers would ever have during her entire existence had started.