Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry there's no actual Spuffy lovin' in this chapter. There will be next time... I promise!
Chapter Three


It was finally the big day; the biggest day of his life. He felt like he’d waited forever for just this one moment. As he stood there at the altar and waited in the almost suffocating church, he started losing his grip on patience. And then… he saw her. He had to stop to take a deep breath. She was breathtaking, even if her dress was obviously a remnant from her demon days. Her blonde (for the moment) and naturally-straight hair was coming down from her head in beautiful ringlets. He’d never seen her look more gorgeous.

And in a single instant, all of the nervousness he had went away. It was like a huge boulder was lifted off his shoulder and he no longer had to worry about their future. He loved this woman, probably more than any woman or anything he’d ever loved before. Yes, there would be difficult times, but didn’t every couple go through that? She did have many quirks that sometimes bothered him… but he realized he wouldn’t love her as much if she didn’t.

She looked up at him then, and they locked eyes. It felt like she was staring into his soul. Her lips quirked up in a slight smile and her eyes were twinkling with happiness. She took the first step and began her journey down the long aisle. The closer she got to him, the more they both smiled. There didn’t seem to be any aggravated and drunken relatives or out of place demons around them any longer. It seemed to them that they were the only two people in the world.

But the magic ended abruptly. Her dress had suddenly caught on fire, and she was quickly consumed by the flames. His stomach began turning into knots and he became quite nauseous because of the sight.

“Wha… what’s going on? What’s happening?!” he cried out in agony.

“It’s ok honey, it’ll all be over soon,” she replied quite calmly considering her current situation.

“NO! You can’t leave me! I can’t survive without you!”

“You don’t have a choice. We just weren’t meant to be. It’s my destiny to die.”

“You are NOT going to die!” he yelled back. And then he started running towards her. He wasn’t sure what he was going to do, but he would either save her from the fire or die with her.

But he never made it that far. Someone grabbed him and pulled him back just as he was about to reach her. In that same moment, the flames erupted and left her body as nothing more than ashes on the ground.

He collapsed on the ground in front of her remains and screamed in anguish.

“NOOO! I love you! God damn it, I love you so much! Come back to me!”

“Hey, it’s gonna be ok, really.”

He turned around to see who was talking to him. It was the person who had pulled him back from his love’s burning flesh.

“How can you say that Buffy? It’s your fault I didn’t get to her in time! I could have saved her!”

“I think a thank you is in order for me saving your life! There was no way you could have saved her in time, but I saved you from suffering the same fate as her!”

“Can’t you see that I wanted to die? If I don’t have her, I have nothing! She gave my life meaning. I would rather have died with her than be stuck here on earth living the rest of my life without her!”

“And I would have rather stayed in heaven than living here in hell every single day of my life! But you were too selfish for that. Maybe I felt like being the selfish one for once. Now you’ll know what it’s been like for me ever since you resurrected me from inside my own coffin!”

And she began to sob. He tried to say comforting words to her but she turned and ran away before he got the chance.

“Good going wanker. Now all you got is the ashes of your loved one and a distraught Slayer on your hands. Whatever will you screw up next?”

“Shut up Spike!”

He didn’t know where Spike had come from, but he couldn’t take this anymore. What started off as the best dream had quickly become the worst nightmare. He could barely comprehend Anya’s death, let alone stand Spike’s offensive comments.

“Oooo… such big talk for such a bloody git. What will you do next… hit me?”

And that’s precisely what he did.

“Hey! That was a rhetorical question!”

“Yeah? Well I don’t give a shit!”

And he punched him again. And again. On the jaw, in his gut, wherever he could manage to hit him. Spike ended up on the ground below Xander. He didn’t have the energy to fight back anymore. Spike figured that Xander would find some piece of wood to jam in his heart any second now, but Spike didn’t care. He just could not figure out any reason to want to unlive anymore.

Sure enough, Xander produced a stake from the inside of his pants. Spike wondered how he managed to do that. He placed the stake right over his heart, and Spike closed his eyes while he waited for the inevitable staking.

But that didn’t happen either. Again someone pulled Xander back and threw him to the ground. It took him a minute to regain his composure and stand up straight. The force of the tossing was way too strong to have come from an ordinary person. Spike was the first to recover his speaking abilities.

“Buffy?”

But she just ignored both of their inquisitive stares and went to offer Spike a helping hand. He graciously took hold of it and was able to stand up with her help.

“What the hell did you do that for?! Xander yelled from behind them. “I was just about to kill that evil son of a bitch!”

“You bastard! What do you think I was doing? You pull me out of heaven and then you try to kill the only person who has brought me some kind of peace? The only one who has even tried to understand what I’m going through? I was saving the life of the man I love!”

“What?” Xander and Spike asked simultaneously.


**********

Xander woke up with a start. “Something is wrong here…” he said to himself. “Something is very wrong.”