Chapter 4


“So we’re not going to Hawaii after all then?” Gunn said, not even bothering to try and keep the disappointment out of his voice.

“Seems not, this woman, this Anya is coming here”

“When?”

“Today, then the big meeting will be a week on Friday, when the honeymoon ends and they’ll all be here, that Xander bloke, and Buffy and Spike”

Cordelia was at the photocopier and when she came over to put something on
Angel’s desk Gunn said,

“Cordy, as we’re not going to Hawaii now, any ideas as to where we are going?”

She shrugged and said,

“The boss said he hasn’t the time or the inclination to think of, how did he put it…oh yes, ‘the time or the inclination to deal with such trivialities as this, when we have REAL cases to deal with’”

“Real cases – real cases, what does he think we deal in – bloody made up ones any other time?” Gunn was annoyed.

He wasn’t the only one. Trying her best to keep it well hidden, Cordelia was FURIOUS. She was angry with Angel, his head seemingly still full of Buffy.

Well she’d bide her time, hopefully she’d have her moment soon enough!

*****************

Buffy turned to lie on her stomach, her eyes fluttering open briefly, she saw the flash of gold on her left hand and smiled.

Raising her head she looked at her ‘husband’, and her smile got wider – she couldn’t believe it – she, Buffy Anne Summers, the Slayer, the Chosen One, was MARRIED! - And to a vampire and all, no less…gods, did she live a weird life…She reached out and stroked down his cool as marble sculptured back, and Spike turned over

“Hey”

“Hey yourself!”

“Spike”

“Hmm?”

“We’re married!”

“I know…wonderful, isn’t it – although I don’t like these wedding rings…they’re cheap and nasty. When we get home”

“When we get home, what?”

“When we get home, I’ve got a very, VERY special one for you”

“Really?”

“Really!”

“I love you” Buffy grinned and snuggled up

“I love you too!”

“Babe………look what I’ve got, just for you now!”

“OOOOOHHHHHHHHHH – is that all for me?”

“Every last inch is all yours babe!”

“OOHHHHHHHH Ggoooooooodddddddddddddddddd, yyyeesssssssssssssss!”

*****************


“Sit down, Miss…”

“It SHOULD by right be Mrs Harris now, but you can call me Anya”

“Anya, right, oh um, can I get you a coffee – soft drink?”

“Coffee would be great, thanks”

Angel fussed around getting the coffee for her and then placing it on the desk. He sat down opposite her and opened a leather bound notebook.

“Now, Anya, can you tell me exactly what happened on the day in question”

Anya began to talk, and Angel took notes………

“………Gone out for a breath of fresh air, you know, butterflies and all that, when who should be coming outside to meet me, was Spike”

“Spike?”

“Yes, he said he was just going to find me, everyone was getting restless”
she conveniently glossed over the fact that she’d been talking to an old boyfriend outside, or the fact that she asked Spike out-right if he thought she was doing the right thing………

“I see, and this was immediately prior to the ceremony was it – I mean the ceremony that SHOULD have taken place?” Angel asked

“Well, yes”

“Why do you think………hmm, it doesn’t add up – what did he do then?”

“He told me to go to the ceremony room, and he’d go fetch the others”

“He told you, not took you?” Angel asked frowning

Anya nodded, then Angel continued,

“Go on, so what happened next, where were the others?”

Anya shrugged and said,

“I don’t know, Spike walked in the opposite direction to me, I went to the ceremony room and the registrar was waiting to do his stuff”

“Then what?”

“Then Willow comes in with Xander, he’s looking slightly green around the gills, and the registrar said ‘Good, can we start now please, you’re already over ten minutes late!’ So Willow said, hold on, were waiting for the best man and the bridesmaid, you can’t start yet, as they have the rings and the bride’s bouquet”

“Okay, and?”

“And nothing, that’s it. The registrar gets right cross with us, telling us we better hurry up coz he’s wanted for a photo-call – as the, well MY prize has been won”

“So what did you do then?”

“Well, naturally I was SO upset…I um, I said to my Xander I said something like um, ‘Oh, I’m um, too er, too disappointed to erm, well even THINK about getting married at this moment my love – can we please postpone it while I get over the er…the vast disgruntled-ness and frustration at having such a wonderful honeymoon snatched from our grasp…or something like that” Anya had looked everywhere other than Angel while she said her piece………

Frowning, Angel doodled on his pad and said,

“At anytime were you told the prize was yours?”

“Um…no” Anya picked at invisible threads on her skirt.

“So at what stage did you learn that Buffy and Spike had got married then?”

“Well, I stormed, um, I –I m-mean I left the ceremony room, and went outside, and I could see a whole bunch of people on the grass outside by the terrace, and two people having their photographs taken – there was champagne and-“

“Yes, yes – I take it this was Buffy and Spike, so then what did you do?”

“Well, I went over to them and um, I said, what’s happening and that, and they both have stupid grins on their faces and said they’d just got married”

“Anything else?”

“Well, I tried to help Buffy get MY wedding ring off her finger…” Anya stared at her shoes when she said this and Angel said,

“Did she give it to you?”

“Did she hell! Security came and, said, well, insisted I go with them and leave the couple alone – that’s the last I saw of them – of anybody in fact”

“How does Xander feel about this, is happy that you are suing?”

“I’ve let him know by phonecall, and text…I haven’t seen him”

“You haven’t seen your fiancé since you left the Aphrodite Wedding Chapel on the evening of the fourth…I see.”

“So, what are my chances?” Anya asked hopefully

Angel knew her chances were zero, but he wanted to get to the bottom of why Buffy suddenly married Spike, so he thought he’d be cagey…

“Well, as things stand – I’d have to get my legal team on it you understand, and I’ll need to speak to Xander and Willow too”

“Must you?”

“Well, as they were there, yes – they might hold vital information, and I also must talk to Buffy and Spike…I really, REALLY MUST”

“Very well…um when will this happen?”

“When their honeymoon’s over, I’ll subpoena them to appear here”

“Good…so, next Friday then. Well, thankyou Mr…?”

“Just call me Angel”

“Thankyou, Angel – Bye”

Outside the office door, Cordelia, Wes and Gunn quickly straightened up from ‘keyholing’ and went off in different directions to look innocent.

They all met by the water cooler

“Well, from what I’ve just heard, she’s got no chance” Wes said, and Gunn nodded in agreement and said,

“Not a snowball in hell’s chance – so why didn’t he just tell her then, instead of wasting everybody’s time?”

“The cost?” Wes asked, raising one brow

“Nope – this is a freebie – as it involves Buffy. Saw it in the diary, it’s marked as NWNF”

“NWNF?” Gunn looked puzzled

“Well, I took it to mean, no win, no fee – all he wants to know is why his precious Buffy has married Spike, that’s all”

“Oh, schtum, here he comes”

“There you are…I was wondering where everybody had got to…is Harmony about?” Angel asked walking towards the trio.

Without looking at him, Cordelia disengaged herself from the group and said,

“Day off, I’ll see you two guys later”

“Yeah, see you Cordy”

“Later ‘Delia”

Angel watched her walk down the corridor, and said,

“She won’t speak, she’s still sore with me”

Both Gunn and Wes gave Angel an incredulous look

“Well, what do you expect, man – jeez! There’s you two supposed to be an item, but your heads too full of Buffy, no wonder she’s sore at you!”

Angel frowned and said,

“It’s not!”

“Oh come on! – You roared like a bear when you saw the front of that Las Vegas newspaper!” Wesley reminded him

Angel looked pained and said,

“It’s Spike! I want to know what he’s done to Buffy – she’d NEVER marry him without some shenanigans going on!”

“You don’t know that!”

“I do! I KNOW Spike!”