Chapter 5


“Suns coming up babe – we must…I’m sorry” Spike felt awful, they’d just had a walk along the beach, paddling in the clear water…

“Shh babe, it’s okay, don’t be sorry – we’ve had another wonderful night”

Spike drew her towards him, cuddled her up and buried his head in the crook of her neck and nuzzled.

“Just once, I’d love to be able to watch the sunrise with you” Spike whispered

Buffy held the back of his head to her and closed her eyes for a few moments, and then she said,

“Oh well, no biggie – seen one, you seen them all…come on – lets go to bed – hope you’ve saved some energy for me and aren’t all limbo’ed out – you got down very low with that bar!”

“Getting out of tricky situations, love!”

Buffy rolled her eyes and smiled as they pulled the black screens across the windows in their room.

“Right, shall we – oh!” Buffy turned to see Spike already naked, heading for the bathroom

“Last one in sits the plughole end! It’s where the spiders watch from the over-flow!”

Buffy suppressed a grin and was soon naked herself

“Oh Spikey…if YOU sit the plughole end, I’ll…………………………

(Well, they have to be allowed SOME secrets, they are on honeymoon! – Needless to say, Spike volunteered to sit the plug end EVERTIME if that was his reward!)

The rest of the honeymoon passed far too quickly – sometimes while Spike slept, Buffy would go out to the beach to sunbathe, but most of the time they spent making love, and talking. All too soon the last day, Wednesday came.

“What time’s the flight again, love?”

“Nine…but the limo will be here just gone four to pick us up, and he knows to drive the underground parking lot”

“Right…it’s a pity we can’t take these, they’d be useful!”

Spike indicated the black pullout screens

“No room, I can only just about fit the bathrobes into this designer carrier sack!”

“Buffy Sum- I mean – wow, I just thought, you’re not a Summers anymore, are you?!”

“Oh – THAT’S what I wanted to ask you! Remember at the airport check in, when I went to change the flight time – the woman behind the desk was all nice and polite, and she said, ‘I’ll just go and change this for you, Mrs – and I realised; I didn’t know my own married surname!”

“Sorry, it’s – “ a voice from outside interrupted him

(KNOCK, KNOCK - House-keeping!)

Buffy went over to the door and opened it two inches and said,

“I told you, not during the day, my husband has-“

“Sorry ma’am, last day, you go by 12.30 lunch, is rules”

“What – but Spike can’t he’ll-“

“I will do other rooms next, but you must go by lunchtime” The Filipino chambermaid said. Buffy closed the door and said,

“Oh hell – did you get that babe?”

“Uh huh, no matter, we’ll just have to wrap these screens around me until the limo arrives”

***************

Thursday lunchtime, Buffy’s house.


It looked ridiculous. Buffy the one end of the sofa, Spike the other, both wearing sunglasses and under strict instructions from Willow NOT to look each other in the eyes. Spike had opened the subpoena form Wolfram and Hart, and it lay on the sofa between them. To say he wasn’t happy would be an understatement………

Willow paced and wrung her hands.

Spike had had enough, and tore off his glasses.

“This is – is SO fucking stupid!”

“I know, I’m sorry, I’m, SO SORRY!” Willow whined

“Well it’s a bit bloody late for sorry – “

“Spike, calm yourself, sit down, you’re not helping!” Buffy said quietly. Spike glared at her and snapped,

“I’M not helping? Me? – And I suppose walking around, wearing a hole in the carpet wringing her hands like she’s doing is helping a whole bloody load is it? Look, babe, look at me – Buffy, please baby” Spike knelt down in front of his wife, and Buffy made a token gesture at resisting looking at him by turning her head to the left.

Spike was having none of it and he gently turned her face to him, plucked the dark glasses off her face, and any doubts Buffy had been having about her marriage melted away as soon as she looked into Spike’s eyes.

“No – NO! What did I tell you – you mustn’t look into oh…goddess…” Willow sighed as Buffy and Spike were petting and cooing at each other again.

“At least it wasn’t a love spell! She said the love had to be already there for it to work…please baby…don’t end what we’ve got, I love you, so much, I really do – this means everything to me, what we have” Spike was earnestly stroking her hair or her arm, looking deeply into her eyes.

Buffy gave him a watery smile and nodded

“I know, it does to me too, I love you too” Spike relaxed his tense shoulders and gently pulled her towards him

“Well then, this isn’t so bad, is it – we’ll get through this!”

The front door opened and Xander breezed in.

“Oh, so you’re back!” he said, seeing Spike on his knees and the back of Buffy sitting on the sofa.

“They got back at six o’clock this morning” Willow said. Xander frowned as neither Buffy nor Spike so much as acknowledged his presence, they were too busy kissing and rubbing noses and whispering to each other.

“Would you tell them the honeymoon’s over now, they can go back to fighting!”

“Um…Xander…I have something to tell you.” Xander dragged his eyes off Buffy and Spike, and looked at Willow and his frown lines deepened as Willow was almost hopping from foot to foot, she was wringing her hands and biting her bottom lip.

“Hmm? – What’s that then Will? – You look kinda angsty”

“Um, come – come in here, and sit down………now promise me you won’t shout”

Xander plonked himself down on one of the dining room chairs. He hadn’t a clue what she was going to say, but he’d got a feeling he wasn’t going to like it………


“…………I can’t believe……… a SPELL! You used a magic spell! ………All this time, you knew! I’ve been wracking my brains, trying to figure things out, and you knew all the time it was you and a spell? Oh Willow, how could you?”

Willow was near to tears, and she squeaked,

“I know! And I’m really sorry, but I did it for you and Anya! I wanted you to be happy – you were having doubts, and, and well I thought-!”

“You thought? – That’s just it Will, you DIDN’T think! Oh god – you’ve screwed up big this time round…the cookies - THAT’S what all the baking was about! So…what do they say about it?” Xander jerked his thumb over his shoulder.

“Well, erm-“ Xander turned to look where he’d just indicated, but the couple weren’t there…

“Oh, where did, what’s oh, OH GOD!” he listened for a few seconds, and from upstairs could be heard the sound of the bed creaking rhythmically, and erotic groaning, cries of ecstasy and pleasured gasps from upstairs.

“I’m SO sorry Xander” Willow said, finding her voice at last

Xander glanced at Willow, then at the tablecloth on the dining room table.

“So, go on, what do those two think…or are they just involved in one long uber-bonk-fest and you haven’t had time to tell them yet?” Xander asked, without looking at Willow

“They know, I told them first thing…Buffy seemed sad at first, and Spike, he was angry, he doesn’t like magic – and they’ve had a subpoena to be at Wolfram and Hart tomorrow too.

“Buffy was sad – I don’t follow?”

“She thought that the whole feelings thing was manufactured at first, and it isn’t, wasn’t that sort of spell, all I did was a sort of enhancing spell…to help you live in peace and harmony, it wasn’t a love spell, the love had to be there already…I-I was scared for you Xander”

“Scared, why?”

“Something Spike said”

“Oh HIM – he’s an idiot, you don’t want to listen to anything Captain peroxide-

“Hear me out, please?” Willow interrupted Xander sighed and nodded, began to trace the pattern on the tablecloth with his finger………

“Go on”

“He just said, that one day, she’d revert to type, and might want to get vengeance on you – that’s why I did a peace and harmony spell…Xander please forgive me, I couldn’t bear it if Anya hurt you and if we fell out, well, I couldn’t bear that either!” Willow crouched by Xander’s knee, looking into his face, she had the ‘deer-caught-in-the-headlights’ look and he knew he couldn’t
be angry with her.

He put his hand on her shoulder and drew her in for a hug.

Willow let the tears fall.

“Shush, don’t cry Will, I can’t bear it when you cry”

“Do you forgive me?” Xander held her out at arms length and smiled, he brushed away a few of her tears and said,

“How can I not forgive my best friend who was only looking after my best interests at heart, hmm? Come on, silly…although you must promise me-“

“I know…(she sniffed loudly) not to do it again!”

“Yeah”

“I promise”

“Good…so what happens now with…oh god, can’t they keep it down up there!”

Xander looked up to the ceiling and frowned as another climactic roar rent the air!