Chapter 6



“Can we travel down tonight in your car babe, there’s no way I’m going in the boot of the whelp’s car”

“Course………Spike”

“Hmm?”

“This thing tomorrow…what are we going to say?”

“How do you mean, Kitten?”

“Well…why DID we get married – I mean don’t get me wrong – I like being married to you, it’s just one second we were heading towards the ceremony room for Anya and Xander wedding, next thing I know, we’re standing in front of a guy saying stuff and bang - we’re married!”

“Well, that’s how it happened, that’s how we’ll tell it! I was – how can I describe it…when he asked us our names, and for the rings, I kept expecting to see Anya and the whelp standing there, I thought it was something to do with our best man/bridesmaid duties at first”

“Me too! _ And when it DID kick in that it was us he thought that was getting married – I just thought, oh well, why not!”

“And me! That registrar said, ‘you’ve written your own vows,’ and I said no, but I knew what I wanted to say…” Spike smiled at his wife and noticed the gold ring on her finger.

“Oh, before they ask, lets take these off – cheap things!” Spike took his wedding ring off, and examined his finger.

“What’s up, what are you looking for?” Buffy asked frowning

“Just checking my finger hasn’t gone green – could be just brass for all I know!” Buffy still frowning quickly slipped hers off too and said, (while she too had a quick look at her finger),

“I don’t feel married now! You said you’d got a special – what are you doing?”

Spike had bought in a small book from the glove compartment of his car, and studied the pages along the edge, then parted the book dead centre. Buffy was surprised to see a small square cut deep into the pages. Spike tipped the book and a gold ring fell into his palm.

“Here baby, would you wear this? – It was my mother’s”

Buffy took the ring and looked at it.

“Oh Spike, it’s BEAUTIFUL!”

“Like you then!”

She smiled and looked at him, then at the book where he’d kept it hidden for what must have been well over a century.

“And you’ve kept it all this time – how come you never gave it to- “ Buffy stopped short

“To Dru? I never felt she was…worthy of it. I knew she wouldn’t have looked after it, she never looked after anything given to her – except that wretched doll…anyway, enough about her – would you? – Wear it I mean?”

“Oh yes! Would you put it on for me?” Spike took the slim gold band from her and slipped it onto her third finger, then he kissed her like there was no tomorrow, they were just about to sink to the bed when they were interrupted by a knock on the door. Breaking the kiss and frowning, Spike cussed as he opened the door.

“Bleedin’ ‘ell, WHAT?”

“S-sorry!”

“What is it Red?”

“Um, what are the arrangements for tomorrow?”

“Spike and I are going tonight, okay?”

Willow smiled and said,

“Oh that’s good, coz Xander said – “

“Not interested – oh, if you see him, give him these, will you, pet - thanks?”

“Oh - oh s-sure, um yes” Spike deposited the two wedding rings that they had been wearing into Willow’s hand.

“Spike’s given me a better one, look!” Buffy held out her hand, and Willow went big-eyed

“S-so you’re um, you’re still keeping with the marriage thing then?”

“What do you mean – of course we are! We got married, that’s how it’s going to stay, isn’t it, Spike?”

“Sure is, now if you don’t mind Red, Buffy and I were busy”

“Oh, r-right, um, yeah. Oh, just one more thing”

Spike had a hard time keeping the testiness out of his tone of voice as he gripped the door

“What now?”

“The um, the s-spell I did”

“What about it?”

“It’s…well, it’s permanent – I can’t-“

“That’s fine Red, now anything else, coz-“

“No, um, no – I’ll leave you to it”

“Good, bye” Spike closed the door before Willow had time to answer.

“Spike! That was a little…rude!”

“Well…never mind that, where were we?”

“Oh, um…I think you were just about to ravish me!”

“So I was, c’mere you sex-bomb!”

Buffy giggled and succumbed!



****************


Willow went downstairs, just as Xander came into the house.

“Hi…so have you told them I don’t want them in the car with us tomorrow?”

“Xander!”

“What – it’s true, I don’t”

“Well it doesn’t make any difference, they’re going tonight – oh and here, Spike told me to give you these” She gave him the wedding rings.

“So, they’ve come to their senses and are giving up the charade of-“ Willow shook her head

“Oh no – they’re still very much married – Spike’s given her the most beautiful ring!”

“He has – wow…I wonder where he got it from?”

“Don’t know, it looked antique, it was really beautiful”

From upstairs, erotic groans and gasps could be heard…



Frowning Xander moved out of the hall and into the lounge.

“Do they EVER give it a rest?”

“Xander, they’re newly-weds!”

Xander flung himself onto one of the armchairs moodily.

“Have you heard anything more from Anya?”

“No – it’s over Will. And I’m glad, I’ve decided if she wants us to get back together, well, tough” Willow bit her bottom lip and perched on the arm of the chair.

“Really?”

“Really – you know, when she said what she said, that the wedding was off – I felt relief…it was like a ton weight had been lifted off my shoulders and I was free at last”

Willow reached for Xander’s hand and said,

“So why did you let things go that far then?”

“I was scared I guess”

“Of what she might do?”

“Suppose”

“And what if I’d have told you about the spell?”

“Well, we’ll never know now, will we?”


************



9.30am, Friday morning, Wolfram and Hart, Gunn was on the telephone to the Aphrodite Wedding Chapel…

“I understand, and at no time was the Harris’ wedding ever promised that the honeymoon prize was theirs…………………………I see, yes………………late? – The bride was late for the ceremony……………Hmm, and how long was she absent exactly………well approximately then……………a good fifteen minutes, uh huh, and that would have made them couple number what, as regards the prize if the ceremony had gone off on time?………Yes, I’ll hold while you check…………”

Angel came into the office, and mouthed,

“Everything okay?”

Gunn just nodded, then said into the telephone,

“Hello, yes, I’m here………uh huh, so let me get that straight, for the millionth couple, you were looking for the 28th couple to be married that day, and the Harris’ wedding would have been the 23rd – on time or not, okay, thankyou, I’ve got that, well, thankyou for your help Mr Robinson, goodbye”

Gunn put the phone down and said to Angel

“Well, did you get that? I’ve just spoken to the chief registrar”

“Yeah, I gathered – so there’s absolutely zero chance of her suing for the cost then?”

“Nope…she could probably get the wedding ring back, but that’s about it. What time’s everybody coming?”

“The meeting is set for 11 o’clock. Look, do me a favour, I want to find out why and how Buffy got married before we say anything to this Anya woman, so don’t say anything before I’ve found out, okay?”

“Oh, hey – not me boss, you’re on your own, I’m outta here, me and Wes have a conference to sort”

“What – but I’ll need some back up…oh well, I’ll ask Cordy to-“

“Um, no, not Cordy Angel – that’s asking too much, besides she’s busy too”

*************