Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you to everyone who reads this and for reviews.
ALL MANNER OF MONSTERS


Chapter 10: ‘What Rainbow?’


A/N: I’m going with a little Xander POV here, at least in the beginning of this chapter. I always felt that Xander was an intuitive young man, a bit mixed up, yes, but he had a lot of heart when he wanted to.

Please give this fiction a chance??? I really enjoy writing it and I hope a lot of you review it.

Summary: In this chapter, all of our beloved characters might be the tiniest mixed up and confused.

Xander reflects on his loyalty to Spike, while Spike plots and plots out his scheme to take Buffy away with him. Buffy, on the other hand, tries to get out of sex with Riley. Hmmm, things are getting really whacky in Buffyverse.


Chapter 10:


Xander Harris, aka Alec Harrington as he was now going by for the assignment was in a difficult quandary. Actually, the dark-haired, open-faced, usually always honest young FBI agent was in a major ass dilemma.

He was a big man; Xander was, with open dark eyes that were never really secretive, and normally could never be. Secrecy, dishonesty and deception were just not part of Xander Harris’ makeup. This open and honest demeanor had almost kept him out of law enforcement, except for the one thing that saved his career in the FBI. Alexander Harris was an exceptional actor.

Which, was great, for a movie star, a criminal and of course, a member of the FBI, as Xander was. However, it made for a lousy friend, which was another thing that Xander was usually very good at. He had always been a good, trustworthy and loyal friend. Especially to William Giles, aka Spike Sinclair, his current partner in the law enforcement game.

Xander Harris now knew the truth about Buffy Summers and the identity of her precious little sister, Dawn. The young girl, Dawnie, as Buffy had called her, was not her sister at all. Dawn Summers was Buffy’s daughter; Riley Finn himself had accidentally confirmed this by the slip of his tongue.

All Xander had to do was carefully re-examine the photo of the adorable Dawnie and he saw everything clearly. Buffy was Dawn’s mother and Spike was her father, no question in Xander’s intuitive mind. Little Dawn Summers had Spike’s blue eyes.

So, here was how it stood, at the present for Xander. He either told his best friend and partner, William, all of his feelings in the matter regarding Buffy and Dawn Summers. That, or he, Xander, aka Alec, would have to withhold his own suspicions in the situation.

Xander was well aware that William, or Spike as he elected to be called, had every intention of taking Buffy away from Riley Finn, when this was all over that is. That was a given, no question, but if his partner knew the real truth, that Dawn was most probably his own flesh and blood?

Yes, if Spike had any idea that Dawn was his ‘daughter’ and not merely Buffy’s pawn of a little sister? Well, that could not only threaten the assignment that he and Spike were on, but also jeopardize all of them. All of them, including Buffy, Dawn, Spike and himself, Xander, would be in grave danger. All of them would be in the gravest danger, as would the case against Riley Finn.

This is when Xander decided to choose the lesser of two evil options and go with the most practical one. Xander would merely sit back, keep an eye on everything and keep his opinions to himself. That would do, for now anyway. Of course, Xander had every intention of dropping all of the hints he could, in front of Spike that is. Hopefully, his partner would catch on and confront Buffy himself about the true identity of Dawn Summers.

Better yet, Xander hoped that Buffy herself would come clean with Spike and tell him the whole truth. At least when this mess was all cleared up and the assignment was over for them. If she did, things might just work out to all of their advantages. If not? Then Xander would definitely tell his friend and partner, Spike, everything that he’d concluded as to Buffy and Dawn Summers.

“So, oh great bleached blond one,” Xander chided his partner on the hotel balcony, “tell me again. Just how long ago was it that ‘you’ yourself met and wooed the lovely Miss Buffy Summers?”

Spike was not in the best of moods that evening. He was on his third whiskey, on his hotel balcony, after having Sunday supper with Riley Finn and a blatantly missing Buffy. His partner, Xander Harris, aka Alec Harrington, was being a pompous pain in the arse and Spike was not jovial enough to put up with any of it.

‘Why the fuck is Xander scrutinizing me so damn much?’ Spike asked himself for the tenth time that night.

“Buffy? You?” Xander inquired again with a raised brow and a raised Bud bottle. Once the dark-haired man had taken a gulp of his beer, Spike felt more inclined to answer the personal and rather touchy question Xander had imposed.

“A little over seven years ago,” Spike mumbled in response as he took a long sip of his own drink. “Buffy and me, we met in San Diego, back in early ‘98’ and all. You know this for God’s sake, Harris,” Spike growled impatiently. “I’ve never made it a secret to you, or my dad. I met Buffy at spring break in San Diego, California. We clicked, or so I thought, and she disappeared on me. Just when I thought we’d…”

“I’m sorry,” Xander whispered, sincerely. “I really didn’t mean to piss you off, Spike,” he added sympathetically. “Just wondered and all. It’s the little girl, Dawn,” Xander continued carefully. “She worries me. It’s pretty clear to me that this Dawn is the ‘key’ to Finn’s hold on Buffy. I know you still love Buffy Summers, Spike,” Xander sighed. “I just don’t want this to cloud your thinking on this case and…”

“It won’t,” Spike spat back, harshly. “But know this Harris,” he continued with a clenched jaw. “I intend on destroying Riley Finn, completely. When I’m done with him? I’m taking Buffy out of here and away, with me, forever.”

“I know,” Xander replied in a hushed, almost fearful tone.

“Buffy and me belong together,” Spike said with conviction. “When this is over, we are going to be together,” he stated, more determined then ever. “If I have to kill Riley Finn with my bare hands to secure Buffy’s freedom? I'll do it. I'll do it Xander. I swear to God, I will," Spike growled harshly.


Buffy lay in her big bed, well, she and Riley’s massive bed, alone, thankfully. She had slipped out of the so called ‘supper’ and away from William and his partner in crime, Alec Harrington.

‘How dare Will assume that I’ll just hand my life over to him and allow him to save me from Riley?’ Buffy shook her blond head, ruefully, and wiped a traitorous tear from her warm cheek.

‘He’s as bad as Riley now,’ she reasoned about her ex-lover, William, her daughter’s father. ‘How dare he think that I’d trade one ruthless, worthless criminal in for another and…’

“Buffy!” Riley’s deep tenor voice broke her reverie.

‘Oh shit!’ Buffy groaned quietly to the darkness about her. ‘I’ll have to really pretend to be asleep now,’ she told herself.

“Baby, you okay?” Riley whispered as he sat down on the bed next to Buffy. He began to stroke her warm little face with his big, meaty hand. Even though Riley had the hands of a heavy weight boxer, he could be oddly gentle and tender with Buffy when he wanted to be.

“I’m okay,” Buffy murmured softly as she tried not to pull away from her lover’s touch. Not too abruptly or noticeably, though.

“I’m going to take a shower and I’ll join you soon,” Riley informed her in his caring voice. He even gave her a naughty little wink with his right, dark eye.

“Kay,” Buffy replied in a strangled voice. She was going for indifference, but only ended up sounding disgusted.

‘Oh, God,’ Buffy thought to herself in disgust. ‘I suppose I can’t get out of sex with him tonight. And after that scene in the park, with my Will,’ she reminded herself, mournfully. ‘I’m such a slut!’


‘Flashback; Buffy’s POV’


“I’m begging you Daddy,” Buffy Summers was pleading with her father, yet again. “Please don’t force me into this abortion. I know you hate me for doing this to you and mom, but please, please, don’t make me give up my child. Your grandchild,” she reminded Hank Summers once more.

‘He’s all I have left of William,’ Buffy thought sadly. She was so sure this was a little boy child and wondered how her own father could so cruelly abandon the baby like this.

“What the hell am I supposed to do?” Hank roared, yet again, down at his tiny, young only child, Buffy. “You sashay up here and inform your mother and me that you’re pregnant and you have no idea who this little fuck, William, truly is? How could you do this, Buffy? How could you be so stupid and behave like such a total slut?”

Buffy cringed at the harshness in her father’s tone and his ugly words. Hank Summers was beginning to get more ugly and scary by the minute and Buffy hated it, truly.

“I told you Daddy,” Buffy whispered in a barely audible voice, “his name is William. I just don’t know his last name,” she lied so easily now. “Just fell for his line and all. But why does that mean I have to get rid of the baby?” Buffy whimpered and gazed at her father with her green, doe-eyed expression.

“Hank,” the usually silent Joyce Summers, Buffy’s mother, chimed in. “I want to speak with Buffy, privately,” the older woman stated with a firm nod of her own golden head. “Now,” Joyce finished with a determined scowl at her husband.

“Oh, okay Joyce,” Hank Summers sighed as he left the room, slowly.

“Buffy,” Joyce Summers’ voice seemed so soothing at the moment that Buffy was almost lulled into a sense of security.

“Why?” Joyce asked evenly. “Why did you lie to your father and me? Tell us you were going to Faith’s, in Los Angeles, and then skip out to San Diego and meet up with this ‘boy’ that got you into this predicament?”

“I wanted some space,” Buffy replied, stubbornly. “No, I desperately needed some space and since my parents didn’t want to give that to me? I took it!”

“Don’t put this on Daddy and me,” Joyce hissed as she stood and began to pace about in front of her only child. “You chose to run off and behave like a slut. Get pregnant with some…”

“Oh, pulease,” Buffy spat at her mother, “like planning to farm me out to someone like Riley Finn? In my book, that’s the same as pimping Mom!”

“I’m not necessarily in agreement with your father about Finn,” Joyce muttered with a groan. “In fact…” she began, but apparently thought different and changed the subject once more.

“Look,” Joyce sighed as she took her daughter’s tiny hand in hers. “I am going to try and talk some sense into your father, but…”

Buffy cringed at the determined but sorrowful look in her mother’s blue eyes. She knew that something major of the bad was about to happen, but exactly what it was, was lost on her.

“I’ll convince your dad to lighten up about the baby,” Joyce assured Buffy. “However,” she continued sadly, “compromises must be made if this happens, Buffy. Compromises, mostly by you I’m afraid.”

“Compromises?” Buffy asked in confusion. “What kind of compromises mom?”

“Your father has already pretty much promised you off to Riley Finn, Buffy,” Joyce mumbled softly. “I don’t agree with it, but I’m powerless to stop it. With the baby? Things might not be so damn rosy around here for a while, but…”

“Jesus Christ Mom!” Buffy screamed in horror, “it’s the fucking 20th century! No father 'gives' his daughter to anyone anymore, not as some kind of chatel! Much less a fucking moron and criminal like Riley Finn!”

“Do not talk like that!” Joyce ordered her daughter, sternly. “There’s no need for profanity Buffy!”

“Besides, there’s more here at play, dear,” Joyce muttered tearfully as she averted her eyes from her daughter’s beautiful green ones. “I’m afraid that Riley Finn basically owns your father, and me,” she finished on a sour note.

“Owns you? How?” Buffy asked in sick shock. “How can anyone own anyone else in this day and age?”

“I can’t explain it, but with the baby in your belly, Buffy? Finn has more power then ever over all of us. Just how do you think that monster of man is going to react when he finds out about this child? His precious, virginal St. Buffy, pregnant with some random boy’s spawn? Daddy will have to think and talk fast to get us all out of this one, dear.” Joyce continued to look at the floor, instead of her daughter.

“Oh Mom,” Buffy groaned miserably. “What happened to you and Daddy?” She stared intently at her mother, her idol for so many years. “Where did all your dreams go? Why do I have to give up mine?”

“We screwed up, baby,” Joyce whispered as she stared out the living room window of their fine house. “Daddy and me, we screwed everything up and messed up big time.”

“So what happens now?” Buffy murmured in a meek voice. “I mean after the baby is born?”

“I don’t know,” Joyce answered abruptly, “but I fear we will all have a terrible price to pay to Mr. Riley Finn. Maybe you and my grandchild most of all. Riley Finn will hold us for the rest of all of our lives and knowing that monster of a man? The trouble he will always invoke in our lives? He’ll never let any of us go, not willingly anyway.”

“You all lied, huh?” Buffy asked in a sick whisper. “About the rainbow and the happily ever after? It was all lies, huh mommy? Daddy and you made it all up, like some twisted bed time story? It was all bullshit, wasn’t it, Mom?”


‘Somewhere Over The Rainbow’ (by Judy Garland)


‘Someplace where there isn’t any trouble…
…do you suppose there is such a place?
There must be, it’s not a place you can get to by a boat, or
A train.
It’s far, far away…
Behind the moon
Beyond the rain

Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high,
There’s a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.

Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue,
And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.

Someday I’ll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops,
That’s where you’ll find me.

Somewhere over the rainbow, bluebirds fly,
Birds fly over the rainbow,
Why then, oh why can’t I?

If happy little bluebirds fly
Beyond the rainbow,
Why, oh why, can’t I?’


‘Present Day’


Riley flopped down onto the huge, king-sized bed he had picked out himself, especially for his Queen, his Buffy. He scooped his lover up into his massive arms and began to pepper her face and neck with his hot, needful kisses.

“Riley,” Buffy interrupted her keeper’s assault on her body and senses, “about what you said, earlier,” she asked timidly.

“Which thing I said,” Riley asked, a little irked at the interruption in his love-making.

“About my marrying you and you accepting Dawn into the family? Did you really mean that?” Buffy looked, soulfully into Riley’s dark eyes and searched for the whole truth there. If he was even capable of that much truth.

“I meant it,” Riley muttered as he began his assault on Buffy’s lips once more. “If you marry me, soon, I’ll not only move Dawn into this house, but I’ll adopt her as my own child.”

Buffy pulled back and gazed once again into her virtual owner’s deep brown eyes. He was telling the truth, she could see that, finally.

‘It’ll be for the best,’ Buffy assured herself as she allowed her lover to continue his seduction of her. ‘When William leaves, as he surely will, and returns to where ever it is he has to go? He’ll never know that Dawn is our child together and it will be for the best. We’ll all be safer and happier for the continued secret.’


Xander watched his partner, the all mighty William ‘Spike’ Giles, as he slept on the hotel balcony’s chair. Spike, for all purposes was passed out drunker then a skunk and Xander felt guilty because of it.

‘I should just tell him,’ Xander told himself. ‘Just tell him what I think and…’ The dark haired man’s inner conversation was interrupted by the shrill ringing of his cell phone.

“Hey, Harris,” came the familiar voice of the ‘other’ inside man from the FBI. “Where’s Giles?” the voice on the other end asked suspiciously.

“Drunk and passed out,” Xander opted for the truth this time. “He’s all mopey over Buffy Summers and…”

“Hey man,” Xander suddenly switched gears and changed the subject abruptly. “Tell me what you know about Buffy’s so called little sister, Dawn Summers?”

There was a dead silence at the other end of the line. Then…

“You know, don’t you Harris?” Angel O’Connor asked Xander quietly.

“Know what?” Xander asked in response. “That Dawn isn’t Buffy’s sister? Well, yeah, I suspect she’s a whole lot fucking closer then that isn’t she? You knew, huh?”

“Suspected,” Angel replied softly. “Always suspected, since the start of all this, really. The kid showed up, out of the blue, and all the pieces of the puzzle fit after that. I guess I thought that Spike would sort of figure it out and everything. I guessed wrong, huh?”

“Maybe,” Xander sighed deeply. “Maybe not. Spike just might be in a kind of denial stage, but sooner or later, he has to figure out the truth. The kid, as you called her, is the replica of him, without the bleached blond hair. I’m shocked that Finn hasn’t noticed the resemblance, but then again, he doesn’t seem too very close to the poor girl.”

“Does Rupert Giles know that he has a granddaughter?” Xander inquired, almost reluctantly. He hated to think that the ‘Old Man’ Giles even suspected that Dawn Summers was his own son’s child.

“He suspects, like I do,” Angel replied quickly. “Look Harris, don’t be too judgmental on the old man. He doesn’t like this anymore then we do, but then again, Rupes didn’t want his only son to take this assignment anyway.”

“I know,” Xander groaned in frustration. “I just hate all this secret agent shit. It’s ludicrous and none of us our really good at it. Not yet anyway.”

“I still hate the Warren Meers mess,” Angel mumbled from the other end of the line. “I can’t help but blame myself for that. If I had been more careful, helped Meers to cover his tracks and all? The poor schmuck might still be alive today and picking out eternity rings with Andrew, Finn’s right hand guy.”

“Too much info there, O’Connor,” Xander mumbled. “Anyway, I’m going to sign off for the night. In the morning, I’ll try and sober up old Spikey there and bring him around to discuss faus business with one Riley Finn. I only hope that Buffy Summers doesn’t cloud out boy Spike’s head. Either of his heads that is,” Xander finished with a chuckle.

When Buffy woke up in the morning, she had decided two things. One: While William was in LA, she would distance herself, as much as possible from him.

Two: Buffy would once and for all accept Riley’s proposal of marriage. It would work out for the best; Buffy had figured it out overnight. Dawn would come to accept Riley as her father, just as Riley would grow to love Dawnie.


Spike woke up from his drunken stupor. During his restless repose, the FBI agent had decided two things.

One: He, Spike, would spirit Buffy away from this monster that she had become a chatel to. Spike would save his Princess Buffy, just like some noble, saintly knight.

Two: If Buffy wanted Dawn, her little sister to come with them? Then so be it. Spike would save both of the Summers girls and be the hero for his Buffy. Once and for all, William ‘Spike’ Giles would come to the rescue and win the heart of his fair lady, Buffy Summers.





A/N: This chapter was mostly about the musings of Xander Harris and where he fits in the story. Now we know that Angel O’Connor is the ‘mole’ in the organization and we can only hope that all of our guys and our girls make it out alive!

Thanks for reading and please review, luv Spuf