Author's Chapter Notes:
A/N: Thank you for reading, please review.
Oh, and there's some slight, very very slight hints in this chapter!
Luv, Spuf
ALL MANNER OF MONSTERS


Chapter 4: ‘ I’m Still In Love With You’


Spike sat out on the hotel suite’s balcony, a scotch in one hand, cigarette in the other. Between ‘gulps’ of his drink, he took drags on the smoke. Xander had hit the sack, in his room, an hour before, but Spike just could not sleep.

God knows, he had tried, but Buffy’s lovely face kept hovering before him. The vision of Buffy's lovely face appeared before him, haunting him.


‘Flashback Spike’s POV’


“So have you fucked that hot little honey yet, Giles?” Scott asked with a wicked smirk.

“If you’re asking me, if I’ve made love with Buffy yet? Nope,” William responded, almost proudly. “We just met, Scott, for Christ’s sake. I’m not interested in a one night stand with this girl, okay? Want something more here and so does she. At least, I think she does,” William hesitated in thought, a slight scowl on his face.

“Whipped,” Scott Hope groaned with a shake of his dark head, “you are so whipped dude. And after only a few nights of knowing her? You poor slob, I’ve seen this before you know. Guy thinks he’s met ‘the’ girl and at first sight? Falls like a fucking rock from a cliff and…”

“Oh bloody hell,” William muttered, impatiently, “will you just drop it. I don’t want Buffy to think I’m just interested in getting’ in her pants, okay? This girl ‘is’ the one for me, so get over it. I know the right one, when I meet her and this is her. Besides, I’m gonna’ be late, to meet Buffy, if I spend any more time here, gabbin’ with the likes of you.”

William grabbed his car keys and headed out of the hotel room, quickly. Buffy was waiting for him, hopefully, at her own hotel, in the lobby. In fact, even after four days and nights of ‘seeing’ each other?

His Buffy had not even invited him up to see her room, or be alone with her there. He had written that off to the fact that she, Buffy, wanted something more then just a one night stand or anything. That being alone in her hotel room, together, might lead to other things she was not ready for. Even if he was more then ready for Buffy.

He had been totally up front with his best friend, Scott Hope, William had. There was no way that he was going to run Buffy off by pushing, too soon, for a sexual relationship with her.

When William stepped into the Hotel Del Coronado’s lobby, he spied his Buffy, right off. She was, he noted with irritation, surrounded by a bunch of eager blokes. Without hesitation, William strode right over to the little group and elbowed his way into the middle of it.

“There’s a great party, at the Hilton,” one of the non-descript idiots was gushing at Buffy. “I know of a better one, at the Kings Row and…”

“Thanks for watching ‘my’ girl,” William greeted the five young men that had swarmed Buffy. “I’ll take over from here, mates,” he grinned at them and clasped Buffy’s arm, possessively.

“Yes,” Buffy giggled innocently, “thank you, boys.” She allowed Will to escort her away from the group of stunned men and out of the lobby. The blond couple totally ignored the mutters and grumbles of the five young men left behind.

“Nice save, Giles,” Buffy giggled mischievously as she slipped her free arm into William’s. “I thought I’d never get away from those guys,” she added with another short laugh.

“Yeah,” Will muttered through gritted teeth, “I can see how hard you were trying to there, Buff.” He finished with a warm smile, telling Buffy that he knew who she was with. She was with him, Will Giles.

“So, where to, Princess,” William asked Buffy. He hoped she would say something like the beach? A movie, his hotel or back up to her room? Hopefully, the wistful expression on his face, along with his pout, would give her a hint?

“Art galleries,” Buffy exclaimed, a slight smile on her pretty mouth. “I’ve got a whole list of the best, top notch galleries in the entire San Diego area,” she continued, proudly.

“Oh, and don’t worry,” Buffy added when she noted Will’s confused, disappointed look on his handsome mouth. “I got maps and directions, to all of them!” She giggled softly when her date scowled, slightly.

“Oh, okay, Buffy,” William sighed heavily. “I suppose when you’re seeing an art major, you need to expect galleries, huh?” He tried not to sound too disappointed as he didn’t want to make her unhappy.

“Well, I am a freshman, at SBSU,” she responded with a little chuckle. “So, yeah, I’d expect to face a few galleries, Will, if I were you.” Buffy began to laugh, merrily, especially when Will shrugged in defeat and helped her into his black Camaro.

After they finally finished with the art gallery tours, Spike and Buffy noticed it was almost 7:00 PM at night. They had just finished with the Del Coronado Art Gallery, the smallest of the group and William knew Buffy had to be starved for food.

‘She eats like a truck driver,’ Will reason with a silent chuckle. For some reason, it delighted him to see her healthy appetite. “Don’t know how the tiny little thing stays so, well, tiny,’ he wondered to himself in awe.

“What about dinner, Princess?” William blurted out as they, thankfully, left the Coronado Gallery’s parking lot. “Seafood?” he asked Buffy hopeful.

“Pizza,” Buffy replied firmly.

“Oh, okay,” Will responded, trying not to show the disappointment he was feeling in his voice. “Just would like to take you to some swanky place, you know,” he continued, shyly. “Thought maybe you’d like to…”

“I was thinking,” Buffy murmured, softly. “That maybe we could order a pizza? From the Del Coronado Hotel’s room service?” She shot Will a coy little look, from the corner of her green eyes.

“Oh,” William rasped in a near-like whisper. “You mean in your hotel room?” Now, he tried not to let Buffy hear the excitement and hope in his tone.

“I was kind of thinking that way,” Buffy giggled merrily. “My spring break buddy, Willow, is off with her ‘friend’ Tara. At San Diego State University, that is. Tara is an art major there. That’s the real reason that Wills came with me,” Buffy added with a blush. “Tara is twenty-one and Willow is nineteen, like me,” she murmured under her breath.

“Anyway,” Buffy continued, with a little more conviction. “If it’s all okay with you, Will? I’d like to order some pizza, from room service and watch cable? Is that okay Will?” she asked, almost shyly. “I mean, if you’d rather go out, with your friends and party? It’s okay, I understand and all…”

Buffy tried not to sound too eager in all this, but she was, really. The truth was, Buffy found William Giles to be quite irresistible and she knew he felt the same way about her. He did, really, she just knew it.

“I’d rather be eating pizza and watching some chick flick on cable with you, Buffy,” William sighed in relief, “then at any bloody party, anywhere. I really mean that,” he finished, sincerely.

They were at a stop light and William gazed, lovingly, at Buffy. He was delighted to see that ‘his girl’ was gazing back at him. In just the same way.


‘Present Day’


Spike’s cell phone rang, loudly. He did not have some silly ringtone playing on his. His ringtone was a simple ‘ring’ like an old fashioned one, that is. When he checked the caller ID, Spike saw that it was his dad’s number flashing there.

“Hey Dad,” Spike answered the phone, reluctantly.

“Son?” Rupert Giles greeted his only child, carefully. “How are things going?” the older man asked.

‘Business, right to the end, eh Dad?’ Spike thought to himself.

“Okay,” the younger man replied, cautiously. He had always been cautious, with and around his father, that is. Spike had always been in awe of Rupert Giles, no matter how many times he reminded himself that his Dad was like any other man. A simple, mere male mortal being?

“Your mother called, from Maryland, son,” Rupert offered, casually enough. “Said to take care and all,” the father added, quickly.

“How’s Mum,” Spike asked, politely, realizing right off that this was just a ruse for Rupert Giles to check up on his son, himself.

“Fine,” Rupert replied simply. “As always. Jennifer is a fine woman, son. And a wonderful mother,” the older man needlessly reminded his son. Although why his father had to remind William of all this? He had no idea. Who knew?

‘Is this a warning?’ Spike wondered to himself, just a little resentful.

“I know what a wonderful mother that Mum is,” Spike sighed in response to his father. “She’s always been the best mum in the world and…”

“About Finn,” Rupert changed the subject, quickly. “How are things going there?” he asked, cagily.

“Good as can be expected, Dad,” Spike countered, equally as cagily. “Xander and me, we got in the Finn mansion, easily. Met up with the fucker himself and had dinner with his fine lady. We…”

“Profanity is not necessary, son,” Rupert reminded William, frostily. “Just because you are dealing with the scum of the earth here? You need not speak like them,” Spike’s father sounded very distant and cold at the moment.

“Right,” Spike mumbled in reply. ‘Dad better not be referring to Buffy as the scum of the earth,’ the younger man clenched his jaw, tightly.

“There’s something holding Buffy to Finn,” Spike blurted out, suddenly. “I talked to her, alone and she seems almost frightened of the ponce. What could that be?” Spike had asked himself that question, even more then his father.

“I don’t know, son,” Rupert stammered in reply. “It might have something to do with her family? Perhaps it's about her parents and her little sister, Dawn? Buffy Summers appears to be quite family oriented and may feel the need to protect her loved ones, in some warped way?”

“After all, son,” Rupert continued, almost matter-of-factly, “Hank and Joyce Summers seem to have almost abandoned the youngest Summers girl, Dawn. Sequestering her in that Catholic private school of hers, near Sunnydale, the way they have? So they can gallivant about the world, touring as it were?”

“Perhaps Buffy feels a sense of duty to the poor child. Taking up the mantel of guardianship and all? Buffy does seem quite compassionate that way.” Rupert sounded quite sympathetic to the Summers’ daughters himself, Spike noted.

“Maybe,” Spike replied softly. “I’m not sure but if I didn’t know better? I’d think that Riley Finn is almost holding my Buffy hostage somehow.” The two men sat, in silence on their own end of the phone lines.

“Son?” Rupert finally broke the silence between them. “It might just be that you still harbor so many feelings for Miss Summers that it’s clouding your judgment?”

“Yes, maybe,” Spike stammered, unconvinced himself.

“You know son,” Rupert began, carefully; “you and Miss Summers were very young. When you met and fell in love with each other. It must have been hard for the girl, to feel like she had to lie, about her age and everything?” Spike could tell his father was trying to be very, very tactful with him.

“I know,” Spike nodded into the phone, “she was young Dad, very young. But Buffy knew what she was doing, just as Mum did, with you. After all, Dad,” he reminded his father, “Mum was only seventeen when you and her met and fell in love with each other. So, where’s the difference?”

Rupert Giles sighed, heavily, “none really, I suppose,” he replied. “However, your mum and I met in England, William. Seventeen is over the age of consent there and…”

“Don’t give a rat’s arse,” Spike growled lowly into the phone. “Buffy knew was she was about, what she wanted. So did I. I still do, Dad,” he assured Rupert.

“I won’t lie to you Dad,” Spike countered, in total honesty, and a sense of loss. “I still love Buffy Summers and I always will.”


‘I’m Still In Love With You’ (by Al Green)


‘Spending my day, thinkin’ about you girl
Being here with you, being near with you
I can’t explain myself,
Why I feel like I do…
Though it hurts me so to let you know that I
Look in your eyes to let me know
How you feel
Let me know that love is really real
And it seems to me
That I’m wrapped up in your love

Don’t you know? That I’m
Still in love, sure enough in love with you

And I look on your eyes
And all the years I see
Me lovin’ you and you lovin’ me
Well it seems to me
That I’m wrapped up in our love

Don’t you know that I’m
Still in love, sure enough in love with you

Hey, ahh, ahh, ah ahhh
Don’t you know that I’m
Still in love, sure enough in love
With you…
Say I’ll try it if you want,
If you still want me to,
Oh ahh, ahh ahh ahh…


A/N: Sigh…it’s hammer time!

Thanks for reading, please review??? Luv, Spuf