Xander had dropped Buffy off at the curb when she had refused to let him come in. And with any luck, Giles will have already got the girls over to the mansion on Crawford. She didn’t want any of them around when the next disaster disguised as her birthday rolled around at midnight. I’ll take myself a nice bath and then couch potato it, she thought absently. It would be really nice not to have to share her
bedroom with some strange girl. Aahh, I might even get to have hot water, she thought more excitedly.

“Hello?” She called as she opened the front door. No answer. That was good. She glanced around and did a double take as she saw Spike holding open the drapes in the dining room bathing in the sun, his eyes closed. Without thinking she tackled him from the side and they landed in a heap with Buffy on top.

“What the hell were you thinking?” She asked angrily

“Well pet, I was enjoying the warmth until you decided I needed a tumble. Not that I’m objecting mind you.” Spike cocked on playful brow at Buffy and smirked.

Buffy quickly jumped up and off of him. “You suddenly forget your extreme allergy to sun?” She fumed while helping him to stand.

She was upset. Spike felt his now beating heart almost stop. She had thought he was going to dust himself and she was angry with him.

“Got over it, love”

“What do you mean you got over it? Vampires don’t get over
spontaneous combustion in sunlight.” Maybe he was insane again she silently added. Spike was just standing there smiling at her. Yes, he was probably insane again.

Spike slowly reached out and placed a hand on Buffy’s shoulder, still grinning, and slid it down her arm and a very tender motion that made Buffy’s heart skip a beat. She almost pulled away but decided to see where he was going with this. He took her hand and pulled it to his lips. His kissed her palm lightly and then placed her hand on his chest.

Thump, Thump....Thump, thump.....thump, thump...

Buffy simply stared at her hand as if it belonged to some other body. His heart. It’s beating. His chest was moving in and out, Oh GOD he was breathing. He’s..

“Alive?” she said aloud without even realizing it.

“Yes love. Happy birthday.” He said, his voice catching a bit.

“Spike how? When?” She couldn’t even form complete sentences, she was so shocked.

“It’s just a 24 hour spell, pet. Red thought you might like something normal’ for your birthday.” Spike said, while glancing down at the floor rather sheepishly.

Buffy took his chin in her hand and tilted his face up to hers and looked in his eyes. Those deep blue pools that she loved to look into when no one was looking. He had changed everything about himself for her. He doesn’t understand I don’t want normal.

“Thank you. I love it.” She said and tears started rolling down her cheeks.

Spike flinched. A part of him had hoped she wouldn’t be happy about the spell. That would mean she wanted normal, and part of him hoped she still wanted the monster that he really was. He quickly pushed back the thoughts and lifted a hands to sweep away the tears on her face.

“Hey now, none of that.” Then he quickly dropped his hands and took her hand in his. “Got a surprise for you.” he said as he lead her through the house and out the back door.

Spike had surprised her with a very elegant dinner on the back porch and then they had gone decidedly inelegant on the couch watching several very “girlish” movies, before they had both unwittingly fallen asleep on the couch.

Buffy slowly woke the next morning with the wonderful feeling of something warm underneath her, but holding her. She opened her eyes slowly and realized she was in her living room and the previous night came back to her. She pulled back a little and looked over to see Spike sleeping soundly.

They were cuddled together, and it felt good. Buffy felt her breath catch as she looked in awe at Spike sleeping face. He looked so peaceful, so beautiful. Before she caught herself, Buffy leaned in and place a light kiss on Spike’s soft lips.

A dream. It’s another one of my dreams, Spike thought to himself. She wouldn’t be kissing me if this were real. Oh well, best to go with it he thought and started returning the kiss. Slowly at first, then deeper. Gently pulling on her shoulders he sought entrance to her warm mouth, gently sliding his tongue over he soft warm lips. It felt different than usual. More real. His eyes opened as he pulled back from Buffy and blinked several times. “Buffy?”

Buffy looked at Spike’s questioning eyes and answered with another kiss. Gentle, yet more demanding than the first.

She wants this, god she want this. Spike suddenly felt himself responding. They were now kissing with all the pent up passion of the last few months. Each one feeling they needed to prove to themselves that this was really happening.

Their hands started hungrily roaming over every inch of each other and their bodies ignited in each others flames. Spike was pulling up Buffy’s skirt as she knowingly undid the buckle on his pants and freed him from the confines of his jeans. With one thrust he was in buried completely inside her and they froze.

They stared at each other for long moments before Buffy slowly started moving in small circles him. Spike’s eyes fluttered closed and his jaw tightened as he started to move with her. Their tempo increased to a heated frenzy as both sought release. Suddenly Buffy stopped and her body shuttered as she felt her climax hit her in huge crushing waves. The sensation was more than Spike could handle and she pulled him over the edge with her, his body shuddering it’s release.

They both lay there motionless for what seemed like eternity until Spike finally broke the silence. “I’m sorry...”

“Shhh.” Buffy placed one finger on his lips. “Don’t. I wanted this. Still want it. Spike, I want you. I didn’t want to before, but I get it now. I lo...”

Spike leaned up and kissed her before she could finish the sentence. He didn’t think he could bare it if she said those words now, knowing he would be back to the monster she didn’t love in a few short hours.

Why wouldn’t he let me say it? She wondered. Well, she would just have to show him. She stood up and took his hand, leading him up the stairs and into her bedroom. They had spent the rest of the day there. Making love countless times. In slow languid motions, and fast passion filled ones until both had collapsed into sleep, completely spent.

**********

Neither heard Willow return to the house the next morning despite her calling several times loudly when she came in.

I wonder where they ran off to? Willow thought idly to herself. Probably went to the mansion to give the all clear. I wonder how the day went. Willow hummed happily to herself. Hopefully everything went well and she had managed to set right the world that was Spike and
Buffy. Suddenly she heard a too familiar pain filled scream come from Buffy’s bedroom.

Spike felt like he was being ripped open. His lungs were wildly gasping and he felt his heart skipping and slowing. He felt the heat leaving his body. Cold. He was so cold. “Oh god no, not here.”

He fumbled around, managing to get out of the bed and get his jeans pulled. He took a few panicked steps before falling to his knees. Buffy was saying something, but he couldn’t make it out. He had to get out of there. Couldn’t let her see this, see him dead again.

Spike crawled the rest of the distance to the door before Buffy had reached him looking very terrified.

“Spike? SPIKE? Oh, no, no, no, no, not again. I’m sorry Spike. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry.” Buffy had reached Spike where he had collapsed on the floor and had pulled his lifeless body to her as a flood of tears rained down her face. He had done it all for her. She had been so selfish. How could he love her after everything she had done to him?

Willow burst through the door and found Buffy in a heap on the floor with Spike cradled in her lap. She realized immediately that the spell must have worn off while they were together. She quickly pulled Spikes limp arm up and checked for his pulse. It was gone.

“He’ll be OK Buffy.”

Spikes eyes fluttered open to see Buffy crying over him and Willow staring at the floor. Buffy was wailing for the human he thought quickly to himself. She had wanted him human, and now was mourning for the live man he had been. He weakly managed to push Buffy back and stand up, and somehow stumble down the stairs. He grabbed the
blanket off the couch and ran through the door into the early
morning. He was gone before Willow could catch up to him.

tbc...