Author's Chapter Notes:
A big thanks to my new wonderful beta Vicki. DIsclaimer in ch.1is still unfortunately in full affect.
Once Joyce reached the privacy of her own room, she picked up the phone and dialed Faith and Lindsey’s number. After a few rings the line connected.

“Hello”
“Lindsey, it’s Joyce. Is Faith around?” Joyce said distantly.
Lindsey could sense a bit of sadness to her voice. “No, she we went to pick up Sam from her play date, but she should be back any minute. Do you want me to have her give you a call when she gets in?”
“Actually, I was hoping I could talk to you,” her voice caught in her throat.
“Is everything okay Joyce? You sound a bit off.” His voice was full of concern. Lindsey wasn’t exactly close with his mother-n-law, but they had managed to get past their differences of the past.

With a shaky breath Joyce continued. “No Lindsey, everything is not okay.” Joyce proceeded to tell Lindsey of all the events that had occurred over the last month and a half including that evening’s blow out with Buffy. “Lindsey I want Buffy to come stay with you and Faith till the baby comes. I would ask Hank but he isn’t exactly cut out for this kind of thing. Do you think you can help me out?”

Lindsey was speechless. He couldn’t believe what Joyce was saying. He had always thought of Buffy as this little innocent girl and now here she was, a single mother. He knew how hard it must be for Joyce to come to him and ask such a big favor. Remembering all the shit they had been through not even five years ago, Lindsey knew what he had to do. After a brief silence Lindsey spoke up, “Joyce, we’ll do anything we can to help. I need to run this by Faith before I give you our final answer, but I’m sure she’ll have no problem letting Buffy come stay with us.” Lindsey said in a soft tone, thinking to himself ‘with lots of persuasion on my part.’

Letting out a breath she didn’t realize she was holding she replied, “Lindsey you have no idea how much this means to me.”

Lindsey let out a sigh, “Joyce, if it were totally up to me I would tell you yes in a heartbeat, but I really have to talk to Faith first. I can’t make any promises.”

Joyce reassured Lindsey she understood completely. “I understand you have to talk this over with Faith, but please make sure she really understands why I’m doing this. Faith and I don’t always see eye to eye. She’s going to automatically think this is a bad idea especially since she was in the same situation not too long ago. It was hard enough when Faith left and I had no idea where she went but I can’t stand the idea of loosing my baby and not knowing if she’s alright. Buffy and I aren’t exactly on speaking terms right now so if she’s with you guys I know she’ll be with people who love her as much as I do.” Joyce wiped the tears away that had silently leaked from her eyes.

Lindsey’s heart went out to Joyce. He had caused her a lot of the pain over the last few years and saw this as an opportunity to make it up to her. He would do everything in his power to help his distraught mother-n-law in any way he could; he owed it to her. Reassuring Joyce he would talk to Faith and get back to her later that evening with there final decision, he said goodbye and hung up the phone.

Just as he put the receiver down, he heard keys in the front door. He turned to see his wife and a very excited 4-year-old come bustling through the door. He smiled and let out a chuckle at the site of Faith struggling to carry a couple of Wal-mart bags and Sam’s backpack while trying to balance the wiggly little girl on her hip.

Faith looked at him with the ‘if you don’t get your ass over here and help me out you’re sleeping on the couch tonight buddy’ look. Knowing if he didn’t come help soon he would have hell to pay, he walked over and took Sam out of Faith’s arms. Spinning her in circles as she giggled fitfully, he gave her a big squeeze. “Hey darlin’, how’s my favorite girl?” Lindsey drawled out in his smooth mid western accent.

Sam wrapped her arms around her daddy’s neck and squeezed. “I missed you today! I had the mostest fun over at Hannah’s house. We even got to have ice cream after dinner!” she squeaked out.

Putting his daughter down on her own feet, he squatted in front of her. “I’m glad you had a good time today baby. How ‘bout you go in the livin’ room and go watch a video before bed time so I can talk to your Momma, how’s that sound?” He ruffled her hair as she shrieked in agreement and ran off to watch T.V.

Lindsey walked over to Faith, snaked his arms around her from behind, and nuzzled the back of her neck, lightly nipping at the sensitive skin right behind her ear. Faith turned her self in his arms so she was facing him. “What do you think your doing? You told Sam she was your favorite girl. You think you can have your cake and eat it too?” she teased seductively. Lindsey looked at her with lustful eyes. “Well she’s one of them.” He said in a husky tone as he leaned in and started planting wet open mouth kisses on her neck. Faith tilted her neck to give him better access, when she realized something was up, he was being way too affectionate.

Pushing him away and taking a steadying breathe she raised an eyebrow at him. “What’s with all the trying to get pouncey in the hallway, huh? You must have done something you’re trying to make up for.” Faith looked at him skeptically.

“What, I can’t just be glad to see my wife?” Lindsey asked giving her his best innocent look

Faith not believing a word of it, raised an eyebrow at him. “Spill it McDonald.” Faith had known her husband way too long to buy his crap.

Lindsey gave her a cheeky grin. “Well you can’t blame me for tryin’.” He huffed and shrugged his shoulders. When Faith gave him a death glare he knew he better start talking and fast. “Your Mom called while you where gone.” He winced slightly preparing for the blow out.

Faith groaned. “This can’t be good; the only time she calls is for birthdays, holidays, and when something’s wrong. You didn’t come out with it as soon as I walked in the door so I assume no one’s dead, which can only mean that she needs something.” Faith said dryly as she rolled her eyes.

Lindsey was not sure of how to approach the situation, just got straight to the point. “Buffy’s pregnant.” When his wife looked like she might pass out from shock, Lindsey helped her to the kitchen to give her all the details.

Once Lindsey got Faith something to drink, he gave her a minute to come out of her stupor. He replayed his earlier conversation with Joyce; being sure to emphasize on how upset Joyce was. He let Faith have a moment to process everything before he pushed forward.

“Darlin’ I know this must be a shock to you, but I think it might be a good idea to have her come stay with us for a while.” Lindsay said in a soft tone as he reached across the table to stroke her hand.

Faith looked Lindsey in the eyes. “Are you kidding me? If we let my sister stay here that means my mother is gonna want me to spy on her and keep track of everything she does. I’m sorry but I just can’t do that.” Faith crossed her arms across her chest. Faith was nobody’s watchdog.

Not sure how to persuade her; he tried a different approach. “Faith you remember what it was like when we went through this. Well now Buffy’s in the same boat, except she has nowhere else to go. This William kid …” he was cut off by a furious Faith. She bolted up from her seat.

“Did you say WILLIAM? I’m gonna kill him!” Faith was seeing red. She had known him since he was just a kid, and now he had knocked up her sister.

Lindsey pulled her back down onto her chair. “Keep your voice down; Sam’s in the next room. Now listen to me, if we don’t let Buffy stay here she’s just gonna run off somewhere and only God knows what could happen to her or the baby. Faith we need to do this; if not for your mom, then for Buffy.” Lindsey told her sternly. Faith’s resolve crumbled instantly.

The look on Faith’s face told him that he had finally gotten through to her. Leaning across the table, he placed a kiss on her forehead. He winked at her “that’s my girl.” Faith gave him a skeptical look, “I don’t like it, but your right. Buffy needs me right now. You call my Mom and tell her YOU’LL pick her up, I’m so not gonna deal with my Mom.” Faith said as she put her hands in the air as to show she was washing her hands of the situation.

As she got up to leave out of the kitchen to check on Sam, she hollered over her shoulder, “If we leave those two alone for too long after what went down tonight; there’s libel to be some blood shed.”

Lindsey let out a nervous laugh and bellowed to her in the living room. “I guess I’ll be picking her up tomorrow; maybe they won’t kill each other in their sleep.” Faith let out a bout of laughter, “Only if you’re lucky!”
With a shake of his head; he went to the phone and dialed the familiar number to the Summers’ household to give Joyce the news that would hopefully help elevate some of there problems.



TBC




Thanks to stace, jenny, cee, ironic..., beverly, Stacie Bower, Jess, Brittany, Mac, and last but not least Kimber for the thoughtful reviews. Make a girl blush! Kuddos