Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer in full effect. Enjoy!
Buffy slept in late the next morning, yet she didn’t feel rested at all. She kept having dreams of Spike coming to her in the middle of the night to rescue her from the hell that had now become her life. In her dreams, Spike would crawl through her window and wake her with a chaste kiss on the lips. He would look at her with love in his eyes and smile, but when she would reach out to him, he would simply disappear.

Buffy opened her tear-swollen eyes and squinted at the light that filtered through her curtains. She glanced over at the alarm clock on her nightstand and noticed it was already 10:30 am. Stretching her aching limbs and throwing her feet over the edge her bed, she decided to go get showered and dressed for the day.

Joyce could hear the shower running upstairs from the kitchen and knew her daughter had finally decided to get out of bed. Knowing Buffy wasn’t going to come to her; she decided to wait for her in Buffy’s room.

Buffy took her time in the shower, letting the warm spray ease her tense muscles. When the water started to run cold, she climbed out of the shower, toweled dry, put on her bathrobe and made her way back to her room. She opened the door to find Joyce sitting on the edge of her bed. “Get. Out.” Buffy grounded out through clenched teeth.

Joyce sighed. “Buffy I know you’re not happy with me right now, but….” Joyce was cut off by an enraged Buffy.

“Not happy with you? That is an understatement,” she snorted sarcastically, “I told you yesterday, I don’t want you to have anything to do with me and I meant it!” She screamed at her mother. Turning her back on her, she went to her closet to find something to put on.

Joyce stood from her sitting position and walked to the door. “That’s fine Buffy. If that’s the way you really want things.” Taking a steadying breath; getting her emotions in check, she said over her shoulder in a flat emotionless voice, “You need to have your things packed and ready to go by the time Lindsey gets here to take you back with him to LA to stay with your sister. He should be here in a few hours, so you don’t have much time.” Not sparing her daughter a second glance she walked out the door and shut it behind her. Leaning back against the shut door, Joyce closed her eyes and let her tears fall like rain.

Buffy stood in front of her closet feeling empty. She was actually going to be leaving her home in Sunnydale to start a new life in her sisters’ home, a life without Spike. Thinking she had no more tears left to cry, Buffy pulled out her suitcases from the back of her closet. When she pulled them out, the sheets she had saved from her night with Spike tumbled out. She stared at them as fresh tears filled her eyes. She gathered them in her arms bringing them to her nose; inhaling their scent. Resolve washing over her, she vowed to herself she would do everything in her power to get him back. She refolded the sheets, placed them carefully in her suitcase, and began packing her things.

Lindsey arrived at the Summers’ house a little after 2 o’clock. It had taken him a little longer than he had expected due to lunch hour traffic, but he was still early enough to make it back before Faith got home with Sam. He wanted to let Buffy have time to get settled in before Faith inevitably laid into her with the tons of questions she would most likely have. Getting out of his car, he made his way to the front door Before he even had the chance to knock, the door flew open and Buffy shrugged past him and made her way to his car without a word being said. Looking over his shoulder confused, he saw Buffy get in the car and slam the door, arms crossed over her chest. Looking back at the front door, he saw a weary looking Joyce.

“Hey Joyce,” he said in a soft tone. They stood in acquired silence for a moment. When Lindsey realized Joyce wasn’t going to say anything, he cleared his throat and spoke up. “Sorry I can’t be here under better circumstances, but does Buffy have her things ready. I would really like to get back in time to let her get settled in before the house becomes a complete zoo.” Joyce just simply nodded her head and pointed to the suitcases sitting at the bottom of the stairs.

With a few trips, Lindsey loaded her bags in the car. Slamming the trunk shut, he saw Joyce come to the end of the porch steps. Lindsey walked around the car and approached Joyce and gave her a warm hug. “Don’t worry. Things will get better, you’ll see.” He whispered in a comforting voice. Joyce pulled away and gave him a weak watery smile. “I hope so.”

As Lindsey started for the car, Joyce called out to him, “Promise me you’ll take care of my baby?” Lindsey gave her a sad smile and replied, “I’ll watch over her with my life.” With a nod of her head, Joyce turned and walked into her now empty house.

Lindsey got in the car and looked over at Buffy. “Hey kiddo, you gonna be alright?” Buffy turned to face her brother-n-law and with a stone face as she answered him “No.” Lindsey gave her knee a squeeze and a soft smile before starting the car. Buffy took one last look at the house on Revello Drive. A place that once held her child hood, now, was no longer her home.


TBC


Thanks to Kimber, jamesluvr, melissa g, BuffyandSpikeForever, and stace for the toughtful reviews. Also a big thanks to my beta Vicki. You Rock! Kuddos!