Author's Chapter Notes:
I was going to hold off posting this chapter till tomorrow, but since everyone one left such lovely reviews asking for more; I decided what the heck! This will be it till my beta (isn't she lovley =) !) gets back to me. Enjoy! Disclamier in full effect.
Joyce sat in her living room just feeling the emptiness of the house. She looked around the room and took notice of all the pictures scattered around the room of her once happy life, all the happy memories. That’s all she had left, memories. This was the first time in her life she had ever really been alone. She had gone straight from her parents to Hank. When Hank left she still had her girls, but now she had no one. Joyce thought to herself bitterly, ‘I guess it’s true what they say; you always hurt the ones you love’. Shaking herself from her thoughts, she got up and made a much-needed phone call.

Lindsey and Buffy made the long trip to LA in complete silence. The only time anything was said was when Lindsey asked if she would like for him to stop and get her a bite to eat; which Buffy just simply shook her head ‘no’ and continued to stare out the window. After the ride that seemed like it would never end to both passengers, they finally pulled into the driveway of Buffy’s new home. Realizing the car had stopped; Buffy sat up and looked over at Lindsey. He gave her a soft smile and got out of the car.

Buffy slid out of the passenger side of the vehicle and took in the small house before her. It gave the vibe that a loving family lived there. It wasn’t an extravagant house by any means, but it was homey just the same. There were a few toys scattered here and there and a small toddler training bike lying in the yard. The yard itself was well manicured and she could still smell fresh cut grass. Buffy couldn’t help the small smile that curled at her lips, but it only lasted the briefest of moments when she remembered why she was there in the first place.

It had been almost a year since the one and only time she had been here. She and her mother had come for Sam’s fourth birthday party and only stayed for a few hours. Now she was going to be living here, for how long was anybodies’ guess. The sound of bags hitting the concrete tore her away from her from her musings. She looked back to see Lindsey struggling with her things.

“I can take some of those.” Her words caused Lindsey’s head to snap up. “That’s alright darlin’, I think I can handle it. Besides I don’t think you should be liftin’ anything too heavy.” His voice was soft with his smooth Mid-western accent.

Buffy looked at him with a confused look on her face. “What are you talking about?”

“Well, you know, in your condition.” Lindsey ducked his head as his cheeks tinted slightly with his embarrassment. He was still having a hard time bending his mind around the idea that Buffy was no longer a little girl.

Buffy let out a soft “oh” and her cheeks went scarlet. Both unable to look at each other, Buffy decided to speak up. “Well I guess if you, uh give me the house keys, I can open the door for you if you like?” her voice shy.

Lindsey smiled at her. “That’d be great!” Tension lifting slightly, Lindsey fished his keys out of his pocket and tossed them to her adding, “It’s the pink one.” Noticing the raise of her brow, he gave her a knowing glance. “That’s what I get for letting a 4 yr. old pick out the key,” he said with a deep laugh.

Giving him her first real smile in over a month, she let out a small chuckle and made her way to open the door to her new life.


Joyce sat and waited for the line to pick up. She had almost pulled the hem completely from her blouse by the time she heard the British accent on the other end of the line.

“Hello,” came the voice across the line.

Joyce sat for a moment unable to speak. When the other person sent out another demanding hello, she spoke up “May I speak with Rupert Giles please?” she tried to sound as if it was an official call unsure if William had answered the phone.

“This is he; may I ask who is calling?” Giles thought the voice sounded familiar, but he didn’t want to be presumptuous in assuming it was Joyce.

Joyce let out a relieved sigh. “Rupert, it’s Joyce. You don’t know how relieved I am, I thought you where William.” Not wanting to put this off any longer Joyce got right down to business. “I know you must be shocked to hear from me, but there is something I need to tell you. It is very important though that you don’t breathe a word of this to William.” Sensing his hesitance Joyce waited for him to acknowledge before she continued.

Giles was beyond shocked to hear Joyce’s voice on the other end of the phone. Clearly intrigued by her sudden need to phone him he replied hesitantly. “Well I assure you Joyce, I will do my best, but I can’t make any promises.” Giles could tell that Joyce was none too pleased with his response by her silence. With that, he added, “He is still my son and I think I have put him through quite enough to not add to the strain on our quite fragile relationship, so with that being said; you are confiding in me at your own discretion.”

With a heavy sigh, she pressed forward. “Well Rupert I’m sure once you hear what I have to say, you just might change your mind as to how much you tell William.” With a short pause, she took the final leap. “Rupert, Buffy’s pregnant.”

Giles nearly dropped the telephone at Joyce’s admission. He was with out a doubt gob-smacked. Never in a million years would he have suspected ever having this conversation with Joyce Summers. His mind was a haze of emotions. Finally getting somewhat of a grip on himself, he muttered out, “Oh dear Lord. What are they going to do?”

Joyce spoke up with resolve in her voice, “Nothing.”

Giles was clearly confused. “What do you ever mean?”

“I mean, there is no ‘they’.” Joyce said as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

Giles couldn’t hide the irritation in his voice from all of her cryptic talk. “What are you talking about? This is clearly Williams’s child she’s carrying. So how in the bloody hell can there not be a ‘they’?” Giles wanted answers and he wanted answers now.

Clearly seeing that Giles didn’t understand what she was getting at, she decided it was time to tell him everything. “I sent Buffy to stay with her sister till after the baby is born. If and when she comes home is still up for discussion.” She told him matter of factly.

Giles was astonished. How Joyce could simply turn her back on her daughter when she would now need her most was beyond him. Unable to hold his tongue any longer, he voiced his opinion. “How on earth could you have done such a thing? Buffy needs you now more than ever. No girl should have to go through an experience like this without her mother.” Giles couldn’t help the anger he felt toward Joyce. He had always looked at Buffy as the daughter he never had. Trying unsuccessfully to get a grip on his emotions he continued, “Joyce I understand you’re upset with her, but this has gone way too far. You have to bring Buffy home before you destroy your relationship with her anymore than you already have. Besides this isn’t just Buffy’s life you’re dealing with, it’s Williams too!”

Joyce was seeing red. She could not believe he had the audacity to tell her what she ‘needed’ to do. Before she could stop herself; her words came flying out of her mouth. “How dare you! You have no idea what this is doing to me. Do you think this is how I wanted things to turn out? I did this not only to protect Buffy but so William WOULD have a life! Maybe if you had installed better values in YOUR son, then none of this would have happened!” She knew she had crossed the line, but it was too late to back down now.

Having had quite enough, Giles felt it was his turn to say something. “If you’re quite finished; I’m going to say one last thing and then this conversation is finished.” He spit out at her, “Only you and you alone will have to deal with the repercussions of your actions as far as Buffy is concerned. I on the other hand, will NOT push my son away for the sake of making YOU feel you are doing what is in the best interest of our children.” Joyce went to object, but Giles cut her off. “You have no right to keep this information from William, so I have every intention of telling him of Buffy’s condition and if …..” Giles was cut off by a voice that could freeze over hell. He had been so caught up in his verbal battle with Joyce he never heard Spike enter the room.

In a menacing tone, Spike ground out “What bloody condition?”




TBC


Thanks for the reviews! I just love you guys! Kuddos!