Author's Chapter Notes:
DIsclaimer in Ch.1 in full affect. As always, big thanks to Vicki for the wonderful beta job. Enjoy! Kuddos!
Giles turned to see Spike standing in the entryway, fists clenched and jaw set. He had been clearly standing there long enough to overhear the tail end of his conversation with Joyce, hence his out raged demeanor. Unsure of how to handle the situation, he decided it best to wrap up his conversation with Joyce.

“Joyce, I must let you go, something has come up.” Without waiting for her to reply, he hung up the phone. Placing the hand set on the end table, he took a ragged breath and looked at his son. “William, I think you should have a seat. There are some things I believe we should discuss,” his tone expressing the seriousness of the situation. Spike still in full rage glared at his father and hissed out, “I’ll do fine by staying where I’m at.” Giles knowing he was defeated, adjusted his glasses and decided it would just be best to get on with it. “Right then, well I presume you know that it was Joyce on the phone.” With the curt nod of his son’s head, he continued, “and the subject matter was about Buffy.” Taking a slight pause to gauge his son’s reaction, he continued. “I am afraid I have some very disturbing news to relay.”

Spike felt his stomach fall clear to the floor; blind panic hit him as every possible thought ran through his mind at once. His complexion took on an ashen tone and he fought the urge to throw up. Afraid his legs would give way beneath him, he sat down on the closest thing he could find. With petrified eyes, he looked at his father and blurted out, “Oh God is she hurt?”

Taking in his sons ghastly appearance, Giles hurried across the room and stood in front of his son who was now perched on the hutch in the entry way.

“William are you alright?” his voice was full of concern.

When Spike didn’t respond, Giles heaved him off the hutch and started for the living room. “Here,” he grunted as he supported Spike’s boneless form, “let’s get you in the living room where you can have a proper seat.” Setting him down as gracefully as he could on the sofa, he took up the cushion next to him. “William would you like me to get you something to drink?”

Spike finally came out of his catatonic state and snapped out, “I don’t want anything to bloody drink! What I do want is for you to tell what the buggering hell is going on!” Giles seeing that his son was in no mood to beat around the bush, let out an exasperated sigh, “William, Buffy’s fine. Well what I mean is that she’s not hurt, but there is something of concern.”

Spike wanted to reach over and shake his father. He let out a groan of aggravation, “Well get on with it already! What’s wrong with Buffy?”

Giles cleared his throat and removed his glasses to clean them as he gave his son the news that would soon change his life forever. “William, Buffy’s pregnant.”

Before Giles even had time to get in another word edge wise, Spike was out the door. Giles rushed to stop him but by the time he got to the front door all he could see was the taillights of his son’s Desoto. Looking to the sky cursing the powers that be, he muttered, “Buggering fucking hell!”



Spike pulled his car in the vacant lot across from the park. He sat for a moment just watching life happen all around him. He felt as if he was on the outside of a huge bubble just watching things happen and having absolutely no control over anything.

He got out of his vehicle and started across the street to the swing sets. He thought about the times when he and Buffy would come here after school and just talk for hours as he would push her on the swings; times were much simpler then. Taking a seat on a vacant swing, he saw out of the corner of his eye a little girl in the sand box. She couldn’t have been more than 4 yrs old, but for some reason she had his undivided attention.

He stared at the little girl; wondering what had him so enamored. She was a cute little thing with rosy cheeks and golden blond ringlets that fell past her waist. She sat playing alone in the sand with a huge smile plastered on her face as if she hadn’t a care in the world, innocence just radiating off her.

As if the little girl could feel someone staring at her, she turned to Spike and gave him a dazzling smile as she squinted her deep green eyes at the bright sun. Spike returned her smile and noticed the way her nose scrunched in the most adorable little wrinkle he had ever seen in his life. His thoughts suddenly turned to Buffy; she scrunched her nose the same way when she was in deep thought. He wondered if this was what Buffy looked like as a little girl, then without warning, the little girl came over to the swings and tugged on Spike’s shirtsleeve pulling him from his thoughts. Jumping slightly he looked down at the child before him.

“’Ello little bit.” Spike said with a grin on his face.

“Hi,” came the small voice. “You look sad.”

Spike was taken aback by the little girl’s observation. “No worries little bit; I just have a lot on my mind; that’s all.” He didn’t know why, but the little girl made him feel at ease. She giggled at the pet name he used. “My name is Emily, not little bit.” She put her hands on her little hips in mock anger. Spike chuckled and apologized “Pardon me Miss Emily; can you ever forgive me?” he used his best upper class British accent. Emily let out a full-blown laugh as sat on the swing next to him; realizing she was talking to a complete stranger, she shied away slightly. Spike noticing her retreat back into herself slightly he asked in a confused tone “What’s wrong princess?” Looking at him with shy eyes, she whispered, “I’m not supposed to talk to strangers.”

Seeing that she was becoming uneasy Spike gave her a soft smile, “My name is William. It’s a pleasure to meet you Miss Emily.” He said it as he stuck out his hand to her. She gave a cheeky grin and took his hand, “now we’re not strangers anymore.” Spike chuckled softly and replied, “I guess we’re not.” They where swinging in comfortable silence when a woman walked over to the swing set.

Sorry, I hope she wasn’t bothering you. Emily doesn’t know what a stranger is.” The woman said in an apologetic tone. Spike gave her a soft smile, “Not at all, as a matter of fact, she was a welcome distraction.” The woman gave Spike a soft smile as she walked over to collect her daughter from the swing. With a polite nod, she grabbed Emily’s hand and started for their car. Emily stopped her mother, pulled her hand away, and ran back to Spike. “I hope you feel better soon William,” she leaned in and gave him a hug and a soft peck on his cheek. Blushing, she ran back to her mother and continued to their car.

Spike’s eyes glistened with unshed tears as he choked out in a hushed tone, “Me too princess, me too.”



TBC


Huge thanks to gypsy_jin, BuffyandSpikeForever, Seraiza, Kimber, Brittany, rockerbaby, Jennie, stace, shippy, Stacie Bower, Anne, blondiebear, ravenxrobin, jamesluvr , and melissa g for the amazing review. I can't tell you how much it means to me. Thanks! Kuddos!