Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer in full effect. Thanks to Vicki for the betaing. She's the reason I post so often. Enjoy!
Joyce made sure she left the bookshop by 11 o’clock to give her plenty of time to get to LA. Getting in her car, she started her long drive to her eldest daughter’s home. She couldn’t help but feel apprehensive about her visit. She was afraid of how her youngest daughter was going to react. She had no delusions that this would be a pleasant visit, she just hoped that it wouldn’t put more of a strain on the already broken relationship she had with her youngest daughter. Seeing the exit signs for Los Angeles, Joyce began to prepare herself for the visit that would hopefully change things for the better.

Faith arrived home from work to the sound of laughter. Wondering if she had walked into the wrong house, she walked into the living room. There sprawled on the couch was Buffy and Lindsey watching some ridiculous talk show. With a questioning look on her face, she broke into their little couch party. “So is there a reason that a) Buffy is still in her pajamas at 2:30 in the afternoon and b) you’re home from work?”

Lindsey looked up from the TV and gave her a big smile. “Hey Sweetie! I decided to take the rest of the day off after I came home from lunch and Buffy’s still in her pajamas because she’s lazy.”

Buffy smacked him in the arm and let out an indignant, “Hey, sitting right here.”

Lindsey raised an eyebrow at her, “Well, how else would you explain it?”

Faith broke into their banter. “Okay. Do I need to separate you two? I swear it’s like I have three children not one,” Faith threw her hands in the air in annoyance, “and the worst part of it is that Sam acts more grown up than both of you.”

Lindsey and Buffy both broke out in laughter at how aggravated she was. Egging Faith on even more, they said in unison, “Yes Mom.”

Faith glared at them. “You two suck,” she grumbled as she made her way into the kitchen.

Lindsey looked at Buffy out of the corner of his eye. “I better go in there and do some damage control or other wise we might find ourselves sleeping on the porch.”

Buffy chuckled. “You are so whipped.”

Lindsey got up from the couch and gave her a smirk. ” Yes I am.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Joyce pulled in the drive way and shut off the car. She sat there unable to will herself to get out of the car. ‘Joyce, just get out of the car and go to the door. You’ll be fine. You can do this’ she thought to herself trying to build up her confidence. After repeating her mantra to herself several times, she worked up the courage to go to the door. Hesitating for a moment, she knocked on the door and waited for the inevitable fall out.

Just as Lindsey was out the living room, there was a knock at the door. Looking at his watch, he knew exactly who it was. Taking a deep breath, he reached for the doorknob and opened the door. “Hey Joyce, come on in.”

When Buffy heard her mother’s name, she froze. She remembered that Faith had mentioned their mother was going to come by with some papers, but she still wasn’t prepared for her to actually be there. Unable to move from her spot, she waited for her mother to walk in the room.

Joyce nodded her head in greeting and walked in the house. As if she could feel her youngest daughter’s presence, she went straight to the living room. Stopping just short of the entrance she looked at her daughter, frozen in shock on the couch. “Hello Buffy.”

The sound of her mother’s voice was all it took to break the spell she was under. All the anger and rage she had towards her came bubbling to the surface. With cold eyes, she glared at her. “I think I’m going to go lay down,” she bit out standing from her seat, never taking her eyes off her mother.

Joyce’s eyes welled with tears at the cold look her daughter held her with. She knew she deserved it, but it still hurt all the same. Seeing that Buffy was getting up to leave, she gave a desperate attempt to stop her. “Buffy please don’t go.”

Not even giving her mother’s plea a second thought, she stormed out of the room, went to her room and slammed the door.

Joyce flinched at the sound of the slamming door. She looked over to Lindsey and gave him a weak smile. “So I guess that didn’t go well.”


Faith stood in the kitchen avoiding the situation in the living room. She told herself she wasn’t going to get in the middle of the feud between her Mom and little sister. She was truly torn between them. She wanted to stand up for her sister because it hadn’t been too long since she was in the same boat as her. Faith knew what it was like to love someone so much you would do any thing to be with them. That’s exactly what she had done with Lindsey. Yeah, she and Lindsey made it work, but Faith knew it didn’t always work out that way. As much as she hated to admit it, she could see where her mother was coming from too. Her mom just wanted what every good parent wants for their child, a future with no regret.

Faith knew first hand how hard it was to be so young and have a baby. When she and Lindsey first got out on their own, they had to struggle just to keep food in the house and that was even with Lindsey having most of his college done and a decent job. She couldn’t imagine what Buffy and William would have to go through with just high school diplomas.

At the sound of Buffy’s bedroom door slamming, she knew that it didn’t go well. It was time to go and face her mother. With a heavy sigh, she made her way to the living room.

Faith walked into the living room to see her mom and Lindsey sitting on the couch attempting to have light conversation. When neither of them looked up at her entrance, she spoke up.

“Hey Mom,” Faith said awkwardly.

Joyce gave her eldest daughter a genuine smile. “Faith, it’s so good to see you.”

Faith gave her a sheepish smile. “So… I take it B didn’t take too kindly to you showing up?”

“Well, that’s one way to put it.” Joyce said with a heavy sigh. “I really appreciate you letting Buffy stay with you; I brought you a check to help out with the extra expenses and I plan on sending one once a month for as long as she stays here.” Joyce said gratefully. She didn’t want Faith to think she was just dumping Buffy on her.

Lindsey patted Joyce on the hand. “You don’t have to that Joyce. Honest we don’t mind having her. But if it will make you feel better, it will be much appreciated,” he said with a smile.

Faith looked at her mom. “Listen I have to pick up Sam from preschool, so if you want to ride with me, we can talk more in the car on the way.”

Joyce gave her daughter an appreciative smile. “That would be nice. I’ll have to leave as soon as we get back though so I can get back to Sunnydale before it gets too late.”

“That’s fine. It won’t take that long.” Faith reassured her mother.

Joyce stood up and looked down at Lindsey. “It was good seeing you Lindsey, maybe one of these days it will be under better circumstances.” Her voice was edged in sadness.

Lindsey stood up and gave Joyce a reassuring hug. “Don’t worry, she’ll eventually come around. It’s just gonna take some time.”

Joyce pulled away, gave him a knowing nod of her head. Just as she was fixing to walk out the door, she looked back at Lindsey, “Make sure you tell her I’m sorry.” And then she followed Faith out the door to go and pick up her granddaughter.

When Buffy heard the front door shut, she wandered into the living room.

Lindsey plopped on the couch and let out a sigh. He looked up when he heard Buffy walk in the room. Her eyes were all puffy from where she had been crying. Lindsey gave her a concerned look. “You alright?”

Buffy shook her head ‘no’ and sat next to him on the couch. Buffy looked over at him with tear-filled eyes and muttered, “Is she gone?”

Lindsey gave her a weary look and replied, “Yeah, she’s gone.”


TBC


Thanks to Seraiza, Aisling, Sevvy_O, jamesluvr, Becky, Amanda, rockerbaby, and blondiebear for the review. You guys rock! Kuddos!