Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer in full effect



**Image by Spikeshunny. Thank you so much Sweeite!**


Spike stood outside on the Summers’ porch waiting for Buffy to answer the door. He had a bag with their movies in one hand and the other bag had all of Buffy’s favorite ice creams and junk food.

When the door finally opened, Spike looked up to see Buffy standing there in tight black yoga pants and a small white tank top. Her face was clean of all makeup and her light golden blond hair was pulled in a messy knot on her head. Spike stood there for a moment unable to move. He decided at that moment she was the most amazing thing he had ever seen; not realizing he was staring at her until her voice broke through his thoughts.

“Hey, is everything alright, you look as though you might pass out or something.”

Spike just stood there and looked at his feet trying to look anywhere but at her emerald eyes. After what seemed like forever, Spike gained composure and followed Buffy in the house. She took the bags from him and went to put the ice cream in the freezer while Spike went into the living room and sat on the couch.

While Buffy was in the kitchen, she called out to him to see if he wanted something to drink.

“Yeah, I guess a soda would be fine.” Spike called into the kitchen.

Spike sat on the couch thinking about what just happened. When had Buffy had that kind of effect on him? Well the answer was, never. Not one day of their friendship of six years had he ever thought of her that way. Well that wasn’t completely true either. Spike had noticed that she was pretty, hell a blind man could see that, but it never really went past that, but for some reason Spike was beginning to see Elizabeth ‘Buffy’ Anne Summers in a whole new light. Spike thought about how close they were and all the stuff they had been through together. Whether it be bad break ups or parents divorcing they had been through it all. Buffy was the one person he knew he could always depended on no matter how bad it got, that’s why for these feelings to come over him bothered him all the more. He was afraid he would lose his best friend.

Buffy was in the kitchen making drinks lost in deep thought. Spike had been acting weird at school all day, like his mind was somewhere else. Then when she had answered the door he stood there like a deer caught in headlights. She wasn’t quiet sure what to make of all the things going on, but she was definitely going to get to the bottom of it. Spike had been her best friend since the seventh grade and now here they were in their senior year and had their dreams and future waiting just ahead of them. Buffy and Spike had a special relationship that no one quite understood but them, but here lately she was starting to get a little confused as to where the ‘relationship’ was going. Spike in so many words was hot, with his platinum blond hair that was always a tousled mess of spikes and curls to his god-like cheekbones. Then there were his eyes, eyes so blue that if you weren’t careful you would drown in them. She hadn’t noticed quiet how blue they were until tonight when he finally looked up from his feet and met her gaze. All that time and she just now realized that Spike was actually beautiful. ‘Whoa Buffy, where did that train of thought come from? Spike is your best friend he would never look at you like that, would he?’ Buffy silently chastised herself.

Buffy entered the living room with a tray filled with Buffalo wings, onion rings and their drinks. Spike smiled and said, “Ah, a woman after my own heart. When did you have time to make all my favs’ I’ve only been here a few minutes?”

“Well, I know how much you love all this stuff, so I put it in the oven before you got here.”

“Thanks luv, you’re the best. I’m glad we decided to spend tonight together ‘cause I can’t think of anyone I would rather be with right now!” Spike leaned over and kissed her on the cheek in appreciation and Buffy felt a warmth go from her face all the way to between her thighs. They sat in an awkward silence for a moment till it got to be too much and Buffy broke in, “Sooo…. What movies did you get? I hope they aren’t all scary cause you know I won’t be able to sleep especially with mom being out of town tonight.”

Spike looked at her confused for a moment. “Yeah didn’t I tell you? She had to go to L.A for the night. She will be back tomorrow around noon or so.”

“Oh, I didn’t realize we would be home alone that’s all.”

“Come on Spike, you act like we’ve never been home alone before. I think that a17 year old and an 18 year old adult can handle a movie night at home with no parental supervision,” Buffy stated some what confused, but decided to let it go for now.

“You’re right, well let’s get this movie night started!”

Two movies down and two pints of Ben and Jerry’s later, Buffy got up from the couch when Spike stopped her. “Where are you going?” Spike wondered anxiously

“Gotta go to the bathroom if you must know,” Buffy replied dryly.

“Sorry, just thought maybe you were getting tired or something.”

“No, I’m good; why did you want to go home?”

“No!” Spike said just a little too desperately

“Good. ‘Cause I’m not done with you yet, ah I mean, we still have a movie left and more junk food so you should stay, and I’m gonna shut up know!” Buffy didn’t know why but her reply came out a little more anxious than she would have liked. She just hoped Spike didn’t pick up on it.

Spike gave her sly grin and a small throaty chuckle. “You know you’re cute when you babble.”

Before Buffy could control her mouth she blurted out, “You think I’m cute? Spike just realizing what he had said just stared at her. Blue eyes met with green; staring at one another, unsure of what the other was thinking both too afraid to move for fear of breaking the moment till the phone broke the silence. Buffy jumped for the shrill ring and went to get the phone. Silently cursing whoever was on the other line she answered, “Hello. Oh hey Mom, how’s L.A?” Buffy listened to her Mom go on about the art show and what a great time she was having. Buffy was half listening to her mother because all her thoughts were on a certain blond that was sitting on her couch till her Mother broke into her thoughts.

“Buffy is everything alright?”

“Wha’, Oh yeah, just peachy with a side of keen, why do you ask?”

“Well dear, you just seem kind of off that’s all. Did William come over?”

“Yes Mom, don’t worry we will have the party cleaned before you get home.”

“That’s nice.” Joyce said off handedly. Then coming to the full realization of what her daughter had just said. “WHAT?” Joyce felt her heart stop beating in her chest.

“Kidding Mom.” Buffy let out a bout of laughter. As soon as she was able to compose herself she reassured her mother. “We were just watching movies when you called. That’s all. ” ‘and having stare fest 2002’, she thought to herself.

“Buffy that’s not funny! You almost gave me a heart attack! I want you to promise me you two kids will behave yourselves. I’ll be home tomorrow around noon or so.”

“Will do Mom, I love you. Have a safe trip home.”

“I will honey. I love you too, have fun. Goodbye!”

“Bye Mom.”

Before Buffy went back to the living room, she decided it best to go to the bathroom first so when she got back she and Spike could have a talk about what was going on. When Buffy got back from the bathroom, she found Spike deep in thought. She could tell because he had his face scrunched up in an adorable scowl. She sat next to him on the couch and put her hand on his knee. Spike almost jumped off his seat at her touch.

“Bloody hell woman. Give a bloke a heart attack sneaking up on him like that.”

“Sorry, didn’t mean to scare you. You were just zoned out and I was trying to get your attention is all.”

“Well, you got it all right,” Spike grumbled.

“Are you mad or something, ‘cause you have been acting weird all day and then when you got here you were all stand offish and avoidy?”

“What are you talking about, I’ve been fine?” There was a touch of hesitation in his voice.
Spike knew she would eventually sense something was wrong, he just didn’t think she would bring it up tonight, or at least he hoped she wouldn’t.

“Spike I’m not stupid, I can tell when something is bothering you, and something is definitely bothering you. You know you can talk to me about anything no matter what it is right?” ‘Even when it’s about you?’ he thought.

Spike knew he could never tell her what was going on. She would freak out and he would lose her forever, so Spike did the only thing he could do right then. Lie to her. “I’m just worried about graduation and what I’m gonna do with my life is all.”

Spike kicked himself for lying to her but he couldn’t tell her now, this was supposed to be ‘friend’ night and him telling her that he thought he might be falling in love with her was not exactly the kind of thing you do on ‘friend’ night.

Buffy was not convinced and a little disappointed with his answer, but she let it go. “Well Spike, you shouldn’t worry about it so much, your test scores were through the roof, so you can pretty much get into any college in the US and some out of country. Besides it’s not like you’re stuck going to UC Sunnydale like me.”

“I wouldn’t mind going to UCS with you, then we could do college just like junior high and high school, together.”

Spike scooted closer to her on the couch and put his arm around her shoulder and his hand moved on its own accord to stroke her arm in a small figure eight pattern. Buffy laid her head on his chest and inhaled deeply. He smelled of Cool Water cologne, cigarettes, cinnamon gum, and something she could only recognize as Spike. They sat there for a moment just enjoying the feel of one another when Spike curled his finger under Buffy’s chin to look into her eyes. T he moment their eyes met, all conscious thought went out the window.

Buffy felt her breath catch in her throat when she met Spike’s gaze. She stared in his eyes for a moment till her gaze drifted to his full pouty lips. The only thing she could think of at that moment was how wonderful it would be to have those lips on hers. She unconsciously licked her lips and tried to steady her breathing from the closeness of him.

Spike just stared into her eyes and lost himself in their emerald depths. Not knowing what to do next, he just let his body take over and let it lead the way. When he saw Buffy’s bubble gum pink tongue sneak out and moisten her lips it took everything he had not to come completely unglued. Before he could process his actions, he lowered his mouth to meet hers.

Buffy was so caught up in her own thoughts of Spike’s full lips that she didn’t notice when he lowered his mouth to hers till she felt the jolt of electricity bolt through her whole body the instant his lips touched hers. Spike begged entrance of his tongue by brushing it across her lower lip. Buffy parted her mouth willingly and brushed her tongue against his. The kiss started slow and became more intense by the second. When they both were in need of a breath, they broke away from each other. Neither wanting to really break the kiss, they met for one more chaste kiss before reality set in. Looking into each other’s eyes seeing for the other for the first time, Buffy broke there silence.

“Oh my God, what was that?”


TBC