Author's Chapter Notes:
Since tomorrow is Father's Day and I will be busy all day, I'm gonna go ahead and post the latest chapter from my beta. Enjoy! Disclaimer in full effect.
Giles stood outside his son’s door contemplating on how to make amends without divulging Buffy’s whereabouts. Just as he was fixing to knock, the door opened.

“William, I was just coming to talk to you,” he said slightly startled.

Spike stood in the doorway staring at his father. He had calmed down slightly, but was still quite angry with his father. Deciding that his father wasn’t going to let it go, he conceded. “Fine. What is it you want to say,” he said defensively.

Giles let out a sigh of relief that his son was going to give him a chance to reconcile. Giving him a soft smile, he began to apologize. “I want to begin by saying I’m sorry. I never intended on things escalating to this. I hate the fact that we can’t even be in the same room with one another without it turning into a shouting match.”

Spike felt his anger for his father begin to dissolve. He too felt horrible about the way things had been between him and his father. They had always been fairly close in the past, so to be constantly at each other’s throats was hard on him. He was still not quite ready to forgive his father completely.

Letting his shoulders drop he looked his father in the eyes. “Listen Dad, I know you never wanted any of this, I understand that. Up until now, we’ve been pretty close, but now I’m not so sure,” his voice was tight with emotion.

Giles gazed at his son with tear-filled eyes as he reached out to place a hand on his shoulder. “I know it might take some time, but I hope that one day soon you might feel differently. I love you William, more than you’ll ever know. You’re my son, so no matter what; that will never change.”

Spike had to fight the tears that were stinging the backs of his eyes from his father’s loving words. Taking a ragged breath, he let his father know how he felt. “I know Dad, but I think you’re right. It is gonna take some time for us to get back to the way things used to be. I’m not quiet ready to let things be okay between us, so for now I think it might be best to give each other some space.”

Giles was hurt by his son’s feelings, but they were justifiable. Nodding his head, he reluctantly agreed. “If that’s the way you want things for now, then I will respect your wishes. Just understand that if you ever need someone to confide in I’m still here for you.”

Even though he was upset with his father, he felt as if they had come to a truce of sorts. Giving him a solemn look, he replied, “I know.”

Thinking to himself that this was at least a start to moving in the right direction, he gave his son one last sad smile before the door was closed before him.

Buffy lay in her bed unable to fall asleep as her mind tried to sift through all her conflicting emotions. She was totally confused as to what to do about Spike. Her heart was telling her to run and call him, but the logical part of her was telling her to listen to her sister and give it time. She knew if she listened to her heart, that it would only make things worse between her and her mother. Yeah she was rightfully pissed at her right now, but as much as she hated to admit it, she still missed her terribly. If she listened to her logical side, she was afraid Spike really would go off to college and forget all about her and she just couldn’t live with the thought of that.

Becoming irritated with herself, she crawled out of bed and made her way to the kitchen to get some ice cream.

Tiptoeing into the kitchen as to not wake anyone, she opened the freezer and pulled out a pint of mint chocolate chip. As she was plundering through the draw to find the ice cream scoop, she heard someone come in the kitchen.

“Hey kiddo, up for a midnight snack?” Lindsey asked his voice thick with sleep.

Buffy turned and gave him a sheepish smile. “You caught me red handed. Want some?”

Lindsey sat down on one of the stools and nodded. “When Faith was pregnant with Sam, she used to do this same thing. I would catch her at like three in the morning with a huge bowl of ice cream in front of her.” He chuckled at the memory.

Buffy pulled out some bowls and spoons and began to scoop their ice cream. “No, this isn’t a pregnant thing; it’s a Summers’ thing. When we were little our mom…” her voice trailed off as she got a sad look in her eyes.

Lindsey felt his heart break at the sad look on her face at the mention of her mom. He could tell that she really did miss her. He gave her a sympathetic look. “Buffy it’s gonna be okay, you’ll see.”

She looked at him and gave him a weary smile. “I know. It’s just that it still hurts.” Sighing heavily she continued, “I talked to Faith today and she seems to think that if I give it time, my Mom will some how come around to the idea that me being with Spike won’t be the end of the world.”

Lindsey looked at her with a confused expression on his face. “Who’s Spike? I thought this kid’s name was William.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Spike’s his nickname.”

Lindsey couldn’t help the laugh that escaped him. “You were with a guy that calls himself Spike? No wonder Joyce flipped her lid.”

Buffy threw a glare in his direction. “Shut up.” Giving him a cynical look, she added, “Like Lindsey’s such a perfect name. If you ask me, it’s kinda wimpy,” she said indignantly.

“Well at least it doesn’t scream Mohawks and dog collars.” He replied matter of factly, and then added, “And Lindsey is not wimpy, it’s sexy.”

Buffy let out a laugh. “Oh please! It’s a girl’s name for God sakes.”

Just as Lindsey was fixing to hit her with a come back, Faith walked into the kitchen looking none too happy. Hands firmly on her hips she bit out at them, “Do you two think you can shut the hell up? Some people in this house are trying to sleep. I swear you two act like you’re fuckin’ five years old with all that damn bickering back and forth.”

Buffy and Lindsey exchanged a look of amusement. They both turned to Faith and said in unison, “Sorry Faith.”

Faith glared at them and let out an aggravated growl. Figuring since she was up anyways, she would join their little ice cream party. Pulling up a stool next to Lindsey, she asked, “So B, what has you up in the middle of the night with the late night munchies?”

Buffy shoved a spoonful of ice cream in her mouth and replied, “Couldn’t sleep, so I figured a big bowl of mint chocolate chip might help.”

Faith stole the spoon out of Lindsey’s hand and took a bite. “Well I’m sure this is just the beginning of your late night binges. Just make sure you don’t wake up Sam. All I need is for her to get started with the late night ice cream munchies.

Buffy smiled at her sister. “What can I say; it’s a Summers’ tradition.”



TBC


Thanks to shelly, Seraiza, Pam, carri, and stace for the reviews. Kuddos guys!