Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer in full affect. Hugs and kisses to Vicki for betaing me! Kuddos!
The days had melted into one another and now graduation was here for Spike. He stood in front of the mirror in his black dress pants, maroon shirt and black silk tie. Satisfied with his appearance, he walked over to his closet to pull out his cap and gown. He had decided tonight was the night he was going to find Buffy. He and Willow had come up with a few ideas as to where she could be, so he was going to go and look till he found her. He was so caught up in his thoughts; he never heard his father come in the room.

Giles stood outside his son’s doorway just staring at his son. He had really turned out to be quite a handsome young man. The resemblance he had to his mother was uncanny. His son had the same piercing blue eyes and pouty mouth that he himself had fallen in love with. The fact that Lily wasn’t here to see her only son take one of the many important milestones in his life caused his heart to ache. With unshed tears, he held an envelope for his son, from his mother, firmly in his hand as he entered William’s room.

Spike felt someone watching him and turned around. His father stood there with tears in eyes and a proud smile on his face. The site almost brought him to tears. Taking a cleansing breath, he acknowledged his father. “Hey Da’.”

Giles closed the distance between them and reached out to adjust his son’s tie. “I can’t believe how grown up you look. It seems like just yesterday I was changing your nappies,” his voice was thick with emotion.

Spike looked away awkwardly at his father’s admission. “Well I couldn’t stay a little boy forever.”

Giles backed away slightly and replied, “Quite right you are,” he said solemnly.

Spike looked his father in the eyes. “I wish Mum were here. She always did love to see me all decked out in my Sunday best.”

Giles smiled tearfully at the memory. Lily had always made such a fuss over their son when he would get dressed up for special occasions and holidays. Clearing his tear-tight throat, he handed Spike the envelope.

Spike looked at him questioningly, “What is this?”

“It’s from your mother. Before she passed she asked me to give this to you when you graduated.”

Spike looked at the envelope in his hands in awe. Careful not to rip the precious paper that was once in his mother’s frail hands; he opened it and pulled out the document. Scanning over it his eyes nearly bugged out of his head. His mother had left him half a million dollars. Wide-eyed, he looked back up at his father.

Giles smiled warmly at his son. “It’s a trust fund solely in your name. She wanted to make sure you were able to go to any university you wanted.”

Spike, still in awe, sputtered out, “But I –I got a-a- scholarship.”

“Well then I suppose you have a hefty savings to plan YOUR future with.” Giles said hoping his son would get what he was trying to say.

Spike not missing a beat smiled. “I guess I do.”

Unable to resist his urges, Giles wrapped his son in an affectionate hug. To his great surprise, his son returned the hug with equal fervor. When both men began to feel slightly awkward by their blatant display of affection towards one another, they pulled back and looked around the room absently.

Giles removed his glasses and polished them as he spoke. “Well then, you better get going, don’t want to be late for final practice.”

Spike looked at his father awkwardly. “Right, so….I guess I’ll see you at the ceremony.” Giles cleared his throat and replied, “Yes, at the ceremony then.”

Not knowing what else he should do, Spike simply nodded his head and left for graduation practice.


Giles sat with Joyce as he watched his son walk cross the stage to collect his diploma. This had to be one of the proudest moments of his life. There were no words to describe all the emotions running through him at that moment. Unable to withhold any longer, he let a tear fall from his eyes. Turning to Joyce, he noticed she too was letting her emotions get the better of her as well.

As soon as the last name was called, the senior class of Sunnydale high threw their caps in the air and the audience stood in ovation. It was a proud day for all in attendance.


Giles made his way through the crowds of people trying to find his son. He spotted him conversing with his good friends, Willow and Xander. He approached them and nodded in greeting.

Spike looked away from Willow and Xander to see his father with a proud look on his face. Excusing himself from his friends, he pulled his dad to the side and studied him for a moment. Letting his emotions get the better of him, he leaned in and hugged his father firmly. Just when he was fixing to pull away, he saw Joyce standing a short distance away looking at him expectantly.

Spike pulled away from his father and walked over to Joyce. Trying to keep his temper in check, he nodded curtly in greeting.

Joyce had no illusions that he would greet her warmly. Hoping for the best, she removed an envelope from her bag and handed it to him.

Spike took the envelope from her and gave her a confused look. When Joyce said nothing he ripped it open and pulled out the folded piece of paper and read it. For the second time that evening his eyes nearly bugged out of his head. There on the note was the address and telephone number of where Buffy was staying. He looked up to Joyce with awestruck eyes and managed to rasp out, “Is this what I think it is?”

“It’s the address and number to Faith’s. I thought maybe you could stop by and see her some time; I know she would love that.” Joyce’s voice was full of emotion.

Spike was at a complete loss. Here in his hand he held the answer he had been hoping for. He wanted to yell from the rooftops that he was finally gonna see his girl. He was so overwhelmed with joy he scooped Joyce in his arms and hugged her fiercely.

Joyce was stunned by his sudden display of affection. When she started to feel light headed from his tight embrace she gasped out, “William if you don’t let go soon, I think I might pass out from lack of oxygen.”

Realizing she needed air, he pulled back and looked at her with tear-filled eyes. “I don’t know what to say.”

“Well you could start be saying thank you,” she told him playfully

“I don’t think a simple thank you would be enough to express what I feel right now.”

Joyce felt tears run down her cheeks. “Oh William, I am so sorry for everything. I was just so scared for you both that I panicked. I thought I was doing the right thing, but all I did was mess things up. Not just for me and Buffy, but for you and I as well. I always thought of you as the son I never had, so when all this happened I was afraid for you. I love you William so much; I never meant to hurt you.” All the emotion she felt for the young man in front of her flowed through her words.

Spike was in awe from her words. All the anger he had felt towards her was gone and was replaced with true adoration. Wanting to show her he had forgiven her, he pulled her into a warm embrace and kissed her cheek. He whispered in her ear, “I know Joyce and I love you too.”

After relishing in the moment of their mutual forgiveness, they pulled way and wiped at their tears. Joyce was the first to speak, “Well now that that’s out of the way, you better get going.”

Spike looked at her confused.

Joyce simply smiled. “It’s a long drive to LA and if you if you leave now, you might still be able to catch her at the promenade.”

“How do you know she’s at the promenade?” he asked her quizzically.

Joyce let a mischievous grin play over her face. “Let’s just say I made sure to know where she was tonight and leave it at that.”

Unable to hide the grin on his face he turned and walked away. As he was passing his father, Giles reached out and grabbed his arm with a questioning look. “William, where are you going?”

He grinned at his father like an idiot and simply stated, “Gotta go see about a girl.”


TBC


Thanks to Seraiza, baby spikes, brittany, Kimber, BuffyandSpikeForever, shelly, stace, lacey, gypsy_jin, Sevvy_O, and KT for the reviews. I can't tell you guys enough how much you rock! Kuddos!