Author's Chapter Notes:
Well here you go! Let me know what you think. Enjoy! Disclaimer in full effect.
Buffy woke up to find herself still in her rocking chair from the night before. Opening her eyes groggily, she stretched as best she could and sat up. She noticed she felt somewhat off. Her head felt like it was underwater. Chalking it up to having skipped dinner the night before, she got up to go to the bathroom and find something to eat. She didn’t make it two steps when dizziness took over and everything went black.



Spike and Giles arrived home feeling completely exhausted. Between the flight from London and the ride back to Sunnydale, they had been traveling for nearly 17 hours. It was only 6 o’clock and all either men wanted to do was collapse in bed and sleep for the two days. Trudging in the door, Spike went straight to the living room and plopped on the couch. He was about to drift off to sleep when he heard a hysterical voice come from the answering machine.

“Giles, it’s Joyce. Buffy collapsed this morning and has been rushed to Los Angeles Memorial. As soon as you get this message you need to get here right away. We haven’t….” and then the machine was cut off.

Spike leaped off the couch and ran into the hallway. Spike looked at his father with fear-laden eyes. Completely paralyzed with fear, he just stood there looking from his father to the answering machine.

Giles was on his son in two long strides. Grabbing him by the shoulder, he said to him as calmly as possible, “William we have to leave NOW!” When his son didn’t respond, he shook him to try to snap him out of his catatonic state. “William please! You have to listen to me. We don’t have any time to waste.”

Spike snapped his eyes to his father and nodded numbly. He felt like everything was going in slow motion. This couldn’t be happening. He was going to go to her and tell her how sorry he was for being such an idiot. Tell her that he couldn’t live another day without her. Tell her he wanted to spend the rest of eternity with her if she’d have him. But now, the girl he loved, the mother of his child, was in a hospital and he had no idea what was wrong with her.

Giles grabbed his keys and pushed his son out the door to get in the car so they could make the long drive back to LA.

Joyce paced back and forth in the waiting room franticly wondering where the hell Giles was. As soon as she got word from Faith that Buffy was in the hospital she jumped in her car and left. She had called Ethan at the bookshop from her cell phone to get the number of where Giles and William were staying.

Ethan informed her that they were returning home that day and would be arriving around four. Asking if he could take a message, Joyce quickly told him ‘no’ and disconnected the call so she could call and leave a message for Rupert at home.

Spike ran through the hospital doors and went straight to the information desk. Breathing in huge gulps of air, he spoke to the receptionist. “I need to find Buffy Summers; she was brought in this morning.”

The receptionist began to type into her computer. “Let’s see…..” she looked up at him apologetically. “Sir, there isn’t a ‘Buffy Summers’ listed as a patient here.”

Spike let out a growl of frustration. “Well then bloody look under Elizabeth Summers.”

The receptionist glared at him over her glasses and began to type again. “Ah yes, Elizabeth Summers, third floor. They must have just brought her up because there isn’t a room number, but if you go to the nurse’s station, they can tell you what room she’s in.”

Spike nodded in thanks and darted for the elevator with his father right behind him. When the doors opened he was about to run to the nurse’s station but stopped short when he saw Joyce, Faith, and Lindsey standing in the waiting room.

Joyce heard the door’s to the elevator open she stopped in her tracks and looked over. When she saw William blow out the elevator, she ran and threw her arms around him. Nearly knocking him over, she told him gratefully, “Oh William, thank God you’re here!”

Spike balanced himself just barely as Joyce flew in his arms. Embracing her for a moment, he pulled away. “Tell me? Is she alright?”

Joyce gave him a weary look. “They are doing some tests right now. The doctor I spoke with earlier thinks she collapsed due to stress, but he couldn’t tell us anything definite.”

Spike began to pace franticly. “Well, when will they bloody know something? I can’t just stand around here and not know if she’s alright.” He stopped his pacing and looked at Joyce with fearful eyes. “What about the baby?”

Just as Joyce was about to say something, the doctor walked up to them. “Hello, I’m Dr. Colbert. I’ve been seeing over Buffy today. I just want to let you all know that Buffy’s gonna be fine. She took a nasty bump to the head, so I want to keep her overnight for observation, but you should be able to take her home in the morning.”

Spike was the first to speak up. “What about the baby?” his voice was raw with emotion.

Dr. Colbert gave him a warm smile. “Baby’s doing just fine.” Spike let out the breath he had been holding and nodded his head at the doctor.

“Buffy is resting right now, but you are more than welcome to go back and see her.”

Joyce shook the doctor’s hand and thanked him. Once the doctor left, Joyce headed over to the nurse’s station. “What room is Elizabeth Summers in?” The nurse looked up at her and replied, “Room 306, but only two may go back at a time, so if you all want to take turns going in to see her that would be fine.” She thanked the nurse and headed back over to the group.

“Buffy’s in room 306, but only two of us can go back at a time.” Turning to Spike, she gave him a warm smile. “William I think you should go in first. We’ll wait out here till you’re done.”

Spike looked at Joyce completely shocked. Without a second thought, he made his way to Buffy’s room.

Spike stood out side of her room nervously. He wondered how she was going to react to him being here. Hesitating for a moment, he opened the door. The site before him brought tears to his eyes. Careful not to wake her, he pulled up a chair next to her bed and sat down. He watched as her chest rose and fell in an even rhythm. She looked so small and helpless lying in that big bed. With a tentative hand, he reached out and took her hand in his. He had never noticed until now how small her hands were, almost child-like. Leaning his head on the edge of the bed, he began to talk to her.

“Hey luv, you gave us quite a scare.” His voice began to crack as he rubbed the back of her hand affectionately. “God Buffy, I’m so sorry. You have no idea how much I’ve missed you. I thought about you every day while I was gone, even wrote you letters. I never sent them, but I did save them to give to you one day. I know your probably thinking I’m an absolute git for not sending them, but I was afraid you hated me for what I’d done to you. I was so afraid that you would send them back or even write to tell me never to speak to you again, and I don’t think I would have been able to handle that.” Spike heard someone enter the room and snapped his eyes towards the door.

“I’m sorry sir, but visiting hours are over. You can come back tomorrow at 8 am after the doctors make their rounds,” the nurse told him in a soft voice.

Spike was about to ask for just a little more time when he felt something or better yet someone squeeze his hand. Snapping his eyes from the nurse, he looked down to see Buffy staring up at him with tear-filled eyes. He felt his heart leap into his throat. Swallowing several times to try and ease the tightness in his throat, he choked out “Buffy.”

Buffy laid there trying to bring herself to consciousness. She could hear someone talking to her. At first, it sounded muffled as if she had cotton in her ears, but the harder she concentrated the clearer it got. Using everything she had she forced herself to open her eyes. When she saw Spike sitting at her bedside, her heart began to swell. He had come for her. Unsure of her voice, she squeezed his hand to get his attention.

They sat there with their eyes locked on one another; both afraid that if they looked away the other would disappear. Staying that way for what seemed like seconds; the nurse broke through their moment.

“I’m sorry sir, but you’re going to have to leave. You can…” when she was cut off by a small voice.

“I want him to stay,” Buffy’s voice was barely a whisper from lack of use.

The nurse looked at her apologetically. “Ma’am I’m sorry, but the only time we can make exceptions is for immediate family members.”

Buffy took a deep breath and gave her a resolved look. “He’s the father, so I think that qualifies him as immediate family.” Turning to Spike she saw huge tears roll down his already tear-stained cheeks.

The nurse studied the couple before her and gave a heavy sigh. “Well I suppose I can make an exception to the rule.” Looking over to Spike, she continued, “I’ll bring a cot in for you so you don’t have to sleep in the chair.” Spike gave her a grateful smile. Seeing they wanted some privacy, she turned to leave the room. Just as she was almost out the door, she was stopped. “Ma’am would you mind letting our family know I’ll be staying here tonight?” Spike asked.

“Sure, no problem. I’ll be back with your cot shortly.” She said and then was out the door.

Spike turned to Buffy. “Are you sure you want me to stay? You wouldn’t rather have Faith or your Mum stay with you.”

Buffy gave him a hurt look and felt fresh tears begin to surface. “You don’t want to stay?”

Spike looked at her like she was crazy. “Of course I wan to stay with you.” His face softened as he looked at her with love-filled eyes. “I don’t ever want to be away from you again. I love you Buffy.”

Buffy looked at him with wide eyes. He had just told her that he loved her. Tears falling down her cheeks asked in a soft whisper, “What did you just say?”

Spike gave her a teary smile and replied, “I love you.”

Buffy sat up straight in her bed. There was no mistaking it he loved her. Saying the only thing her brain could process, she said in a soft voice, “I love you too.”

Spike felt like his heart was going to explode. He had told her he loved her and to his great surprise she had returned it with out a drop of hesitation. Unable to resist the urge any longer, he swooped in and smashed his lips to hers.

At the contact of his lips, Buffy felt a jolt of electricity run through her body. Pulling back, she rested her forehead against his. “Oh Spike I missed you so much. I was afraid you’d never come back.”

“I could never stay away from you. I tried to see you, but you were already gone. I felt like part of me was dying everyday that I was away from you.” He told her mournfully as he leaned back in to capture her lips.

This time when Spike kissed her she instinctively grazed her tongue against his bottom lip begging for entrance to the warm cavern of his mouth.

When Spike felt her tongue brush his lip he let out a deep groan. He instantly parted his lips and let her tongue mingle with his. It felt like heaven. When oxygen became an issue, he pulled away, looked deep in her beautiful green eyes and cupped her cheeks in his hands. “You don’t know how many times I’ve dreamed of kissing you,” he rasped out.

Buffy smiled at him. “Just kissing me?” she asked coyly.

Spike let out a growl. “Oh, there was more than just kissing.” He relied with lust thick in his voice. There was his little sex kitten.

Buffy couldn’t help but blush at his admission. Letting out a sigh she scooted over in her bed and patted the seat next to her. Spike climbed in the bed and spooned her in his arms. Reaching around to wrap his arms around her, he noticed for the first time the slight swell of her belly. He stared at her with awe-filled eyes.

She felt his arms wrap around her and waited for his reaction to her swollen mid section. When he just stared at her, she rested her head on his chest and pulled up her gown to expose the swell of her stomach and in a teary voice she introduced Spike to their baby. “Spike, I’d like you to meet our baby.”

Spike felt hot tears run down his cheek. Swallowing down the knot in his throat, he sat up and leaned over to place a kiss on her belly. “Hey bit, I’m your dad,” he said with pride. Making himself comfortable, he sidled up beside her belly and propped his head up on his elbow. “I can’t wait to see you.” Buffy ran her fingers lazily through his soft un-gelled curls as he spoke. “Since the moment I found out about you I wanted nothing more than to be with you and your mum. I know I haven’t been around, but I bollixed it up real good with her by acting like a complete prat, but I promise you, if she’ll have me I’ll spend the rest of my life making it up to you both. What do you say, sound good to you?”

Buffy pulled him up to lie next to her to look deep in his piercing blue eyes. “The baby says that sounds great,” she whispered as she leaned in to kiss him.

Spike felt like he was flying. He had been on such a roller coaster of emotions for the last six months, but nothing compared to what he was feeling right now. Pulling back, he cupped her cheeks in his hand. “I swear Buffy, I’m gonna make you so happy and do everything within my power to make sure you stay that way forever.” He said sincerely as he peppered kisses on her face.

Buffy smiled at him with loving eyes. “I know you will.” Snuggling into his arms, she let out a sigh of content. “Spike, I love you.” Spike kissed the top of her head. “I love you too kitten. Why don’t you try and get some rest and we can finish talking in the morning.” Buffy nodded her head against his chest and let out a yawn. Closing her eyes, she wrapped her arms around him protectively as if he might disappear and drifted off to sleep. When her breathing became rhythmic, Spike closed his eyes and let sleep take him over as well.

The nurse walked in the room with Spike’s cot to find the gorgeous blond couple fast asleep in the bed together. A smile curled at her lips from the adorable site. Careful not to wake them; she backed out of the room, turned out the lights and shut the door.



TBC



Thanks to Lacey, rockerbaby, beverly, KT, stace, opal, Becky, spuffette, Brittany, Sevvy_O, Mischa, and Kimber for the reviews. There great! Also thanks to everyone out there wh has read it, the amount of hits is amazing. Kuddos!