Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer in full affect.
Spike walked away from Buffy’s front porch in a daze. As he approached his Desoto in the driveway, he felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned to see his father with a very solemn face.
“William, I am very sorry things had to come to this but you must realize where Joyce is coming from.”

Spike looked at his father with a glare that could freeze holy water. “No! I don’t understand where she’s coming from. She’s acting as if we just killed a priest!” Spike was now yelling and drawing attention from neighbors.

“William keep your voice down! No amount of yelling is going to change things.” Giles let out an exasperated sigh. “Now I expect to see you at home immediately so we can better discuss a proper punishment.”

Spike went to rebut but was met with his father’s retreating form as he made his way to his own vehicle. Spike took a deep breath and glanced at the Summers’ front door wondering to himself how everything went so wrong. He wanted nothing more then to bust down the door sweep Buffy off her feet and take them both far away for all of this mess. Taking a deep breath and realizing going to Buffy would only make mattes worse; he wiped the lone tear from his cheek, he climbed in driver’s seat and started his way home.

Joyce stood in front of the door blocking her daughter’s way. “Buffy I meant what I said about you not seeing William again. Don’t make this any harder on yourself!” Joyce was trying to stay calm, but her nerves were coming very close to snapping.

“Mom you can’t keep me away from him forever. What are you going to do? Lock me in the house and live in my back pocket?” Buffy said sarcastically.

Buffy knew she sounded like a child, but she didn’t care. She was just hurting so much.
“You can’t control everything I do! When are you going to see I can make my own decisions! I’m not a child anymore, so stop treating me like one!” Buffy was now screaming at her mother. She knew she wasn’t helping at all but she was bound and determined to get her point across.

Joyce looked at her daughter with anger-filled eyes. “Well Buffy, if you are so grown up, tell me, did you use protection? Or for that matter, are you and William in a committed relationship where you love each other and want to spend the rest of your lives together?” Joyce was livid. She couldn’t believe her daughter was being so childish about the whole situation.

Buffy was stunned. Her mother had just asked her every question she had no idea how to answer. Of course, she loved Spike he was her best friend and would always be a part of her life. Were they ready to walk down the aisle and say I do? That was a whole other story. She didn’t even know how Spike felt about her let alone how she really felt. Then the question of protection entered Buffy’s mind. “Oh my God!” She sat there, chin dropped and eyes as wide as saucers. Buffy hadn’t even thought to ask if Spike had a condom let alone if he would use one.

“Mom, we never used any thing!” Buffy chocked out as tears streamed down her face. The harsh reality set in that she could potentially be pregnant. Buffy felt as if her whole world was falling all around her and she was stuck under all the ruble. Buffy just sat there in a daze.

Joyce looked at her daughter franticly. “Buffy please tell me you’re not saying what I think you’re saying!” Joyce grabbed her daughter by the shoulders and shook her slightly to snap her back into reality. “Buffy listen to me, did you or did you not use protection?” Waiting for her daughter’s reply, she closed her eyes and prayed to whoever would listen that she heard her little girl wrong.

Buffy looked up with puffy and swollen eyes at the woman before her and whimpered a soft “No.”

Joyce fell to her knees in front of Buffy who was sitting on the couch and finally let the tears that had been stinging the back of her eyes since she first opened her daughter’s door fall. She couldn’t believe what was happening. Buffy her baby, was now potentially in the same boat that her oldest daughter was not even 5 years ago.

Faith had always been her wild child and was even more so when the divorce happened. When Hank Summers announced that he was leaving Joyce for another woman; no one took it as hard as Faith did. She was Daddy’s little girl. Even as a toddler, Faith would always run to her father rather than to Joyce. She had accepted it and didn’t let it bother her too much, but when Hank left her to deal with both girls on her own, Faith took advantage of it as much as she could.
It started as just staying out past curfew and not calling and saying where she was going to be. Then day by day it got worse. Faith met a guy that Joyce was not to fond of who was much older than her.

Lindsey McDonald was a 19-year-old college student at UC Sunnydale while Faith was a 16-year-old junior at Sunnydale High. Joyce tried to forbid her from seeing Lindsey, but Faith would just sneak off to see him anyway. Several months passed when she noticed her daughter was paler than normal and she was constantly throwing up. Concerned for her daughter’s health, she took her to the doctor only to find that she was 8 weeks pregnant. Joyce was crushed. She never would have thought her daughter would be a single mother at the age of sixteen. Joyce threatened her with making her give the baby up for adoption and never letting her see Lindsey again; Faith, of course, had other ideas.

The next morning she found Faith’s room empty of all her personal belongings and a short note saying she couldn’t live with her mother’s rules and that she and Lindsey were going to go get married with or without her permission. She would not hear from Faith again till after her granddaughter was born and almost a year old.

Faith finally broke down and called her mother to let her know she and Lindsey were in L.A and had a small house near Hank and that she was very happy. Just being glad her daughter was okay, she accepted her daughter’s decision and made an effort to keep in touch.

Now here Joyce sat in her living room with Buffy before her, almost living out her worst nightmare to a ‘T’.

Joyce finally composed herself and as calmly as she could spoke to her daughter. “Buffy from here on out you will not leave this house. I am going to call first thing Monday morning and tell Principal Snyder that you will not be in school. You will stay in this house until I can get you to the doctors to find out if indeed you’re pregnant. I will have someone bring your work home for you. You will not be able to go out or use the phone. Is that understood?” Joyce stood her ground and had no intentions of backing down no matter how much her daughter protested. Buffy did nothing but silently nod her head in the affirmative.

Logically she knew why her mother was freaking out like she was, but Buffy didn’t want to see logic. Right now, the only thing she saw was how irrational her mom was being and that she had to find some way to get a hold of Spike. Without saying a word, Buffy got up from her spot on the couch and made her way upstairs to her room.

When Buffy got to her door, she pushed it open and stared at the bed. There exactly the way they had left it this morning were the sheets and quilt thrown across the bed and pillows in every which direction. Buffy fell on the bed face down in the sheets and inhaled deeply. She could still smell Spike on her sheets and something that must have been a combined smell of them and their passion. Not ever wanting to lose that, she stripped the sheets off the bed and shoved them in the back of her closet. As she closed the closet, door all her emotions took over and she fell to the floor sobbing. It was in this moment she realized that she was in fact in love with Spike. Not the kind of love you have for a best friend, but in fact, the kind of love you have for someone you can’t live without. Letting out one last strangled cry, she promised herself that she would some how find a way to tell Spike how much he really meant to her and how much she loved him.
Right before exhaustion took over her body, she whispered to herself, “I love you Spike, I just hope you love me too.”



TBC