Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer in full affect
Spike drove home in a complete haze. He wasn’t even sure how he got there, all he knew was that he managed to make it there in one piece. When he arrived home, he saw his father’s car already in the drive and his stomach flipped flopped at the idea of having to face him. Spike knew that this wasn’t going to go well and that he was sure his father was going to have a few choice words. At that moment, all he wanted to do was go to his room, be alone with his own thoughts, and not have to deal with the wrath of one Rupert Giles. Taking a deep breath, he got out of his car and headed towards the house preparing himself for the worst.

Giles sat in his favorite chair waiting for his son to come home. He went over the morning’s events over and over in his head, and came to the same conclusion each time; how could have this happened? He sat wondering to himself where he could have gone wrong. Giles had always thought his son to be responsible and levelheaded, yes, he was your typical rebellious teenage boy, but never did anything rash that could potentially get him into serious trouble. He knew that on day William would grow up to be a fine young man who would go to the right college, get the perfect job, have a beautiful family and make his father proud; but now he wasn’t so sure.

Giles’ thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the front door shutting. When he looked up, there stood his son, who looked as if he had been sent to hell and back. With a heavy sigh, Giles motioned for Spike to sit down so the could have there long awaited talk.

“Son, if you could please have a seat. I do believe we should have a chat about what happened this morning.” Giles removed his glasses and wiped at a smudge that wasn’t there waiting for his son to respond.

“I don’t think there is anything left to say Dad. Joyce seems to have covered everything.” Spike practically spit out every word as if it left a bad taste in his mouth. “I soul heartedly ruined Buffy’s life, end of story.” Spike said with enough hate to make his father wince slightly at the tone of his voice.

“Now, William. Don’t you think you’re being a bit dramatic?” Giles said and rolled his eyes at how childish his son was being.

“Dramatic!” Spike didn’t know whether to laugh or scream in exasperation. “You have got to be kidding me! I’m not the one who went off like a wild person! She acted like I was the devil himself and took her daughter’s precious soul!” Spike couldn’t believe that his father couldn’t see that this was all being blown way out of per portion. He knew that Joyce had every right to be upset, especially with what had happened with Faith, but Buffy wasn’t Faith, and he damn sure wasn’t like Lindsey. Spike knew they messed up, but Joyce was just acting crazy in his eyes.

Giles rubbed his temples trying to subside the headache he could feel coming on. “William please try to understand, Joyce is trying to do what is best for Buffy. You and I both know what this poor woman has gone through with Faith; and to find her youngest daughter in the predicament she found you two in this morning was all but reassuring to her. I imagine it was like seeing her worst nightmares come true.” Giles could see by the look on his son’s face that what he just said had gone in one ear and out the other.

“Dad, listen. I know what we did was wrong, but when is Joyce going to stop comparing Buffy to Faith. THEY are nothing alike! She can’t let everything Faith did influence the choices she makes for Buffy, it’s not fair!” Spike said sounding like a defiant child.

“Why does she have to keep Buffy away from me, it’s not like we have no self-control,” he said dryly.

“William, the fact remains that Joyce has made it very clear that you are to go nowhere near Buffy. I think it would be in your best interest to obey her wishes or else you risk even more harm than is already done.” Giles was trying to use reason, but was finding it very hard since his son seemed to be acting as if he was 3 yrs. old instead of 18.

“Well I think it’s all bloody stupid if you ask me.” Spike grumbled as he rolled his eyes. He instantly regretted it when he saw the furry in his father’s eyes.

“You arrogant stupid boy! Now you are going to shut your gob and listen to what I have to say, and I don’t want to hear one word out of you till I’m finished, is that clear!” Giles was irate.

Spike could see the tell tale signs of Ripper, his fathers old self shining through. He knew it was time to just keep his mouth shut, for fear his father would snap completely.

Giles got a slight grip on his temper and continued, “Did you ever once consider that you have caused irreparable damage to the only relationship Joyce has left with her daughters or that you have forced her to make the hardest decision in order to keep Buffy from making one of the biggest mistakes of her life?”

Giles studied his son for a moment and noticed that he had at least the decency to look ashamed. Feeling bad for being so harsh on him, he sat beside his son and placed a hand on his shoulder. “I know you’re hurting right now, as you should be, but there is no excuse for your actions. I know in my heart that they were done out of nothing but love because I’ve seen the way you look at her.” He paused for a moment before continuing knowing that he was finally getting through. “It is the same way I used to look at your Mum.” Giles words where whisper soft and held nothing but love and concern for his only son. He sat for a moment letting his words sink in.

Spike couldn’t help but smile a bit at the memory of how in love his parents were. Spike only hoped of finding a love like that one day. He was sure that Buffy was the one. He knew in his heart he would never find anyone else quite like her. And now she was being ripped away before he ever had the chance to tell her how he truly felt. The thought alone was enough to break his heart in two. Spike was pulled from his thoughts when his father continued.

Giles stared at his son for a moment. A thousand different questions were going through his mind. He didn’t even know where to begin, but the one question that seemed to stick out the most in his mind was if he had been smart enough to think of protection. Not wanting to put off the inevitable, he got straight to the point.

“William. I don’t know how to say this, so I will get straight to the point.” Giles had a slight blush to his face. Having never been able to discuss such topics as birth control with his own father, he made a point of avoiding such things with his own son. “Did you and Buffy use uh, well you know, anything?”

Spike looked at his father with slight confusion on his face. ‘What in the bloody hell is the old man going on about?’ Spike had never been comfortable with the idea of talking about sex with his father and knew for damn sure his Dad would rather put hot pokers in his eyes than have to address the subject. Then it finally dawned on him what his father was trying to ask him.

“You mean did we use a condom?” Spike blushed from his own bluntness and stared down at his feet.

“Err, yes. That’s exactly what I’m trying to ask, and not so eloquently I might add.” Giles didn’t know why, but he was finding it hard to look his son in the eyes from fear his son would see how embarrassed he was for talking about such matters. It was at times like this, Giles wished he could be a little less of the stuffy Brit his son always teased him of being.

Giving his father’s question a final thought Spike came to a very frightening conclusion. He hadn’t used anything. ”BLOODY HELL!” Spike turned pale at the realization of his actions. He never even once thought about any type of birth control. He was too wrapped in the moment of being so close with Buffy that any other thoughts went straight out the window.

Giles looked at his son hoping against all hope that he couldn’t have been serious, but one look at Spikes face was all the reassurance he needed. “William, please tell me that she is at least on something?” Giles was pleading with his eyes for some sign of hope that his son was smart enough to ask such questions. The response he got was not the answer he was looking for.

“I don’t know.” It came out as a whisper. Giles wasn’t even sure he heard him answer, but he knew from the look on his face that he heard him right.

He looked at his only child with a look filled with so much disappointment that Spike had to hang his head in shame. Spike felt as if he was going to be sick. How could have been so stupid. At that very moment he knew Joyce had every right to be disgusted with him. If something happened to Buffy, he would never be able to forgive himself. “Oh Da’, what am I going to do if anything happens to her?” Spike looked up at his father with unshed tears in his eyes, silently begging for some sort of reassurance that everything would be okay.

Giles looked away from his son so he wouldn’t see the tears threatening to spill over. With a shake of his head, he echoed his son’s words. “Bloody hell.”

TBC