It had been a month and a half since Joyce had dis-enrolled Buffy from Sunnydale High and since she had last seen Spike. Buffy was like a living zombie. She hardly ate anything and just stayed in her room and cried. Joyce was beyond concerned for her daughter’s well being, but she could not back down now.

Buffy had an appointment with Dr. Olsen, the family physician, at 2 o’clock that afternoon for a full physical and to be put on some kind of birth control, that’s if Joyce’s worst fears were not confirmed first. Joyce knew that Buffy was due to have her period weeks ago. She had yet to start and Joyce was getting more nervous by the day. She was praying that it was due to all the stress her daughter had been going through, but she had a gut feeling this was going to be a lot more than just stress.

Buffy was in a complete state of depression. She wanted nothing more than to just curl up and die. As far as she was concerned, she had nothing left to live for. She hadn’t seen Spike in over a month and each of those days felt like centuries. She attempted to call him on the phone a few times, but was caught by her mother each and every time. Joyce had gone as far as unplugging all the phones except for the one in her room to make sure that Buffy couldn’t get a hold of him. After her Mom had taken away all the phones and isolated her from everyone, she cut herself off completely from her mother. Buffy would wait for her mother to leave for work before she would come out of her room and return to her room just before she came home to make sure she didn’t have to talk to or look at her. Today she wouldn’t be so lucky. Joyce had made her a doctor’s appointment and she would have to be stuck in the car and be with the one person she absolutely loathed for the better part of the afternoon.

Buffy heard a soft knock at her door. She turned and looked at the clock on her nightstand and groaned. It was 12:45 pm, and she knew that her mother wanted to leave for the doctor’s office. Her appointment wasn’t for another hour or so, but her mom insisted they leave early to be sure they were there on time.

Buffy so did not want to go, but knew that her mother would continue to treat her like a prisoner if she refused to go. Buffy’s stomach had been doing flip-flops all morning at the sheer thought of what was going to happen that afternoon. Buffy had never had a female examination before and she was nervous. She had talked to Faith once about that kind of thing, but that was as far as her knowledge of those things went. Buffy was a fairly modest person. No one had ever seen her naked since she was about 10 years old, except for Spike. The thought of a near stranger seeing her so intimately made her want to cry. Sure she had known Dr. Olsen since she was a baby, but he had never seen her sans clothing since then.

There was another knock on her door before she walked over to open it. When Buffy opened the door, she was greeted with a very solemn faced Joyce. She could tell that her mother hadn’t slept well and she just looked all around exhausted. Buffy tried her best to not show how scared she was, but her mother saw right through her. Joyce gave her a weak smile.

“Buffy, we need to get going if we want to get there on time.” Joyce tried to sound comforting but just came across sounding distant.

“Mom, I don’t think we really need to go. I feel fine.” Buffy said dryly as she tried one last time to convince her Mom not to make her go.

Joyce was finding her patience was beginning to run thin. Her daughter had been trying to talk her out of this appointment since she had first brought it up. “Buffy you’re going to see Dr. Olsen and that’s final. I know you’re probably a little nervous, but I promise you have nothing to worry about. Dr. Olsen is an excellent physician. You’ve been going to him for years. You act as if he’s a total stranger.” Joyce was trying not to get irritated with her youngest daughter, but because of the circumstances, she had no patience for Buffy to act like a baby about this.

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Fine! I’ll go to your stupid appointment and let some old guy get up close and personal with me, it’s not like I have a say so anyways.” Buffy said with a grumble as she stormed past her mother toward the stairs. Joyce let out a huff of exasperation and followed Buffy down the stairs where they both proceeded out the door and made their way to the car.

The ride to Dr. Olsen’s office was made in uncomfortable silence. The tension between the two women was so thick that you could cut through it with a knife. When Joyce finally pulled in the parking lot, Buffy literally bolted out of the car and into the office. Buffy entered the small doctor’s office and took in the room. It hadn’t changed one bit since she was a little girl. She saw Anya looking over charts at the desk. Anya looked up and gave Buffy a million dollar smile. Buffy gave her a small smile, a wave, and continued looking over the room. The walls were painted a soft yellow with white trim at the ceiling and baseboards. There were pictures of all the patients that Dr. Olsen had seen over his years of practice. Buffy looked over the pictures and noticed one of her and Faith sitting next to one another on an exam table with tear streaked cheeks and big smiles that formed around the suckers shoved in their mouths. She smiled at how simple things were back then. As Buffy reached up to touch the photo, she heard the bell on the door. When she turned to see who had walked in the door her smiled faded when she saw her mother walk in and go straight for the receptionist desk.

“Hello Ms. Summers. Dr. Olsen is almost ready to see Buffy. He just has to get the exam room prepped.” Anya, Dr. Olsen’s secretary and assistant said warmly. “Great, we’ll just have a seat till you call us back.” Joyce gave her a weak smile and took a seat in the waiting area. Anya noticed that both Summers’ women seemed a bit off. She knew it was because of the circumstances of today’s visit.

Buffy sat across from her mom with a magazine that was almost as old as she was. She pretended to be reading as to not have to speak to her mother. They sat for about 10 minutes when Buffy heard Anya call her name from the adjoining door to the waiting room. Buffy stood up, smoothed out her skirt, and made her way to the exam room. Joyce went to follow when Buffy turned and stopped her. ”Mom, if you don’t mind I think I would rather you not come in with me,” Buffy said looking away blushing.

“Of course I don’t mind. I’ll be waiting for you out here. Is it okay if we have a talk with Dr. Olsen when he’s done with your exam?” Joyce gave her daughter her best ‘Mom’ look hopping she would understand that she had other things with Dr. Olsen she would like to discuss. Buffy gave her Mom a weak smile and nodded her head in the affirmative. Joyce gave her daughter’s hand a small reassuring squeeze and watched her walk away down the hall. Joyce closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose. Joyce’s’ stomach was twisted in knots. Nothing could prepare her for what was soon to change the rest of their lives.

When Buffy entered the exam room, a chill ran through her body. The smell of alcohol and disinfectant invaded her nose. She wrapped her arms around herself trying to fight off the chill. Anya followed her in the small room and opened a small closet where she removed a small gown and a sheet. “Buffy if you will remove all your clothing and put on this gown, Dr. Olsen will be with you in a moment.” Anya said with a chirp. She went to walk out the room then stopped and turned to Buffy. “Oh, and just put the sheet over you lap once you have a seat on the table.” Anya gave her one last smile, turned, and walked out the room closing the door behind her.

Buffy stood in the room for a moment taking everything in. There was an exam table in the middle of the room pushed back against the wall with the same paper on it that Dr. Olsen had let her draw on when she came to see him as a little girl; only this time there were stirrups at the end of the table. To the right of the exam table was a metal roller shelf with a tray with lots of utensils on it. Buffy looked over all the utensils; there was a small object that looked like a duck bill that had a handle, a glass slide and something that almost looked like a pipe cleaner. There were a few packets of lubricant and a box of latex gloves. Buffy wasn’t sure what all the items on the tray were but she was almost sure of where they were going.

Buffy removed her clothes and put on the gown that Anya had left for her. Just as she was getting situated on the table with her sheet when there was a soft knock at the door. ”Buffy, is it okay if we come in?” Dr. Olsen called through the door. Buffy panicked for a moment thinking her mother was coming in after all.

Dr. Olsen opened the door and entered with Anya in tow. Buffy let out the breath she had been holding. Dr. Olsen walked over to the sink and began scrubbing his hands as he began their conversation. “Good afternoon Buffy. It’s been awhile since I’ve last seen you,” Dr. Olsen said with a soft smile. He had been Buffy’s doctor since she was first born; he had even delivered her. Pulling up a stool to sit next to her, he started her appointment. “Buffy, Anya will be my assistant during your exam. She’ll be here the whole time to make sure you’re comfortable. Now tell me what brings you here today?” Dr. Olsen said putting on a pair of latex gloves.

Buffy blushed slightly. She wasn’t exactly sure what to say. She was sure that ‘Sorry Dr. Olsen, my mom thinks I’m a big ol’ slut and wants me on birth control’ wasn’t it though, so instead she opted for, “Well, my Mom wanted me to get a physical and we both know my Mom, so here I am.” Buffy said with slight sarcasm that didn’t go unnoticed by Dr. Olsen.

“I see,” he said with a slight chuckle. “I spoke to your Mom a few days ago and she tells me that you have become sexually active and she has some concerns.”

Buffy turned an unattractive shade of red. She couldn’t believe she was sitting and talking about her sex life to her childhood doctor. “Oh my God. She actually called just to tell you that!” Buffy shrieked.

Dr. Olsen chuckled softly. “Buffy it’s alright. I have been doing this for a long time; you have no reason to be embarrassed. Now lets get started shall we?” Dr. Olsen pulled his stool to the end of the table and asked Buffy to lie down and place both feet in the stirrups. Buffy looked over at Anya with shiny eyes. Anya gave her hand a comforting squeeze and a sympathetic smile.

Dr. Olsen started with the pelvic exam. He talked her through everything he was doing in a smooth and comforting voice to try and keep her relaxed. “Buffy, I’m going to now place the speculum at the opening of your vagina. I am going to open the speculum slightly so I can have a good look and make sure everything is as it should be.” Buffy nodded for him to continue. “Now I’m going to take a small sample of tissue to send off to the lab for tests. You may feel a slight pinch, but just try to relax.” Buffy held on to Anya’s hand as Dr. Olsen took his sample, it wasn’t too uncomfortable, but he was right, it did feel like a pinch.

Anya smoothed her other hand over Buffy’s and leaned in. “He’s just about done. You’re doing great!” Anya gave her another reassuring smile.

Dr. Olsen finished his exam and removed his gloves. “Well, everything looks great. I need for you to go down to the lab for me so they can do a few blood tests and when you’re done we can sit down and talk with your mother about the results, that is if that’s okay?” Buffy looked up at Dr. Olsen with a look of discomfort.

“I know she wants to talk with you and all, but I’m just a little embarrassed about what she might say or ask.” Buffy knew the first thing out of her mom’s mouth was going to be about birth control. She didn’t want Dr. Olsen to think she was a slut who had sex all the time.

“Buffy, I assure you that you have nothing to embarrassed about. Your mother just wants what’s best for you. You have to understand that no parent likes the idea of their child growing up; yes it’s a fact of life, but it’s still hard on a parent.” Dr. Olsen gave her a small smile and a pat on the knee before he and Anya let themselves out of the room so Buffy could get dressed.

Buffy dressed and headed down the hall to the Lab where she gave blood for the tests that Dr. Olsen had ordered. Once done she went back to the waiting room where her mother was pacing back and forth. Joyce looked up when she heard a door close. Her motherly instincts kicking in, she walked over and wrapped her arms around her daughter. “Mom, I can’t breathe. Oxygen is becoming a major issue.” Buffy managed to rasp out. “Sorry dear, it’s just that I’ve been out here wondering for so long what was going on that I got a little carried away.” Joyce said as she loosened her grip on her daughter. Buffy pulled herself from her mothers’ arms and went to sit down on a chair close-by.

Joyce sat next to her daughter and waited for a moment before starting. “So, did everything go okay with Dr. Olsen?” Joyce asked nervously. Buffy looked over at her mother void of emotion. “He said he would talk to us when my lab results came back.” She was still mad that her mother had called and revealed such personal information with out even talking to her first.

Joyce looked at her daughter panicked. “Is something wrong? What tests did he run? Did he tell you what might be wrong?” Joyce’s voice was starting to get shrill. Before Buffy had a chance to even answer her mother Anya poked her head through the door and motioned for them to follow her. Without even looking over at her mother, Buffy rose from her seat and walked toward Dr. Olsen’s office.

Buffy entered the office with Joyce shortly behind her. Dr. Olsen stood as they entered and then motioned for them to have a seat. They all took their respective seats and sat in awkward silence. Dr. Olsen opened Buffy’s file and shuffled a few papers before beginning. “I have gone over Buffy’s Pap smear results and everything is normal, there are no signs of cancers or any STD’s. Her blood work on the other hand came back with some very interesting results.” Dr. Olsen looked up from the papers in his hands and looked at Joyce and Buffy for a moment before continuing. “I had my suspicions during Buffy’s pelvic exam, and with the results from her blood work, my suspicions were confirmed.” Dr. Olsen said in an almost sad voice.

Joyce looked as if she was going to faint. “Doctor what’s wrong with my baby?” Joyce’s voice was beginning to warble. The tone Dr. Olsen had used gave her the idea that something was most definitely wrong. She was sure she might explode if he didn’t tell them the results, and soon. Joyce sprang from her chair and hovered over the doctor’s desk. “Dr. Olsen please! Tell us what you found! I don’t think I can stand it any longer. I have been waiting for the last hour or so to hear something, so please just say it!” Joyce was practically hysterical.

Buffy hadn’t said one word. She was there in body but not in mind. She had a million things going through her mind, but none of them came close to what she was about to hear.

Dr. Olsen cleared his throat. “Joyce sit down. I need you to be calm about this; you overreacting is not going to help.” Dr. Olsen was trying to keep his voice calm and soothing as to not upset Joyce even more. Once Joyce was sitting back down Dr. Olsen took a deep breath. “There is no real way to say this, so I will just come out and say it. Buffy, you are 5 1/2 weeks pregnant.”




TBC