~Chapter Four~

A few nights later, Buffy followed Dawn into the house after they returned from the restaurant. She tossed her jacket and purse into the armchair as she passed with a sigh. No sign of Spike. She was getting tired of him avoiding her ever since the other day when he had totally misread her confusion and surprise. He had immediately went into defensive mode and made a run for it. She understood. She totally did after the way she had treated him in the past. But, really, he had been a bit premature and she had been waiting for him to cool down so she could explain.

It didn't look like he would be emerging from his rabbit hole any time soon, judging from the fact that he obviously hadn't been coming out of the basement even when he knew she was at work. He had stopped doing the little bits of housework he normally did for them. She was actually going to have to learn how to be more domestic if this kept up.

She sighed and ran a hand through her hair. She really did need to talk to him and set this straight, though. Not just so she could come home to a clean house and warm cookies again. So she went to go get a shower to get the restaurant smell off her, changing into shorts and a camisole before heading down to the basement.

Her head poked out of the stairwell tentatively. "Spike?"

His head jerked up from the pad he was scribbling on and blinked at her for a moment. He had been so engrossed that he hadn't noticed her approach. He set the pad behind him on the bed and started to stand, spreading his hands wide. "Come on down, slayer. Your house."

"Don't be like that, Spike. Please." She sighed. "We need to talk and you know it. I can't take anymore of this avoid-y crap." She came down out of the stairwell and walked towards him. "I somehow doubt after fighting this long to get me to give in to your advances that you would suddenly give up and hightail it." She arched a brow, "And over nothing."

His jaw clenched. "It wasn' nothin'. You-"

She cut him off. "No. You jumped to conclusions. You cut me off much like I just did to you and didn't even wait for me to get over my surprise and confusion. Yeah, I hadn't given much thought to those things. So sue me. It might not have happened fast for you since you've been hard up for this for years, but for me it was only recently I was willing to let myself admit I might have more than just a soft spot for you." She sighed and shook her head. "Friday night was like... well it was really nice... but was sort of busy with a big over amorous vampire since then and so thinking wasn't something I was able to do much." She chuckled.

"Well, I s'pose you've had plenty of time t' think on it now." He crossed his arms in a purely defensive gesture.

"Spike... I understand why you would think the worst of me... considering the way I've acted in the past, but please... I've been trying to change since we've gotten here even. Back in the hotel room after I found you in the trunk, it started even back then." She hung her head and her shoulders slumped when his face didn't soften. "Well, I guess I said my peace... I'll just go back upstairs and leave you be now."

She turned to go and he hurried past her to stand in her way. "No, please, don' go... Been a right bastard, I have." He couldn't take that hopeless look in her eyes and reached out to pull her to him. "An' yes, you have been trying, an' I see that. Glad you have." His lips brushed the top of her head as his hands rubbed her back comfortingly.

She took a deep breath and inhaled his scent, pure him. A little bolt of electricity went through her body. Her brain took over, though, reminding her they had some unresolved issues before they started up again with the hanky spanky.

"Spike," she lifted her head and put a bit of space between them so she could think more clearly. "Don't get used to me saying this... but for the most part, you're right. Me letting my friends run all over me is partly what led me to this problem in the first place. But, that was barely even a part of what I was... still am a bit... confused about." She pouted. "Like I said before, I'm not sure how long this little life we have here if going to last and what's going to happen after that. If we go back to Sunnydale or move on to another town... And what that would mean for us..."

He cupped her face in his hands. "I'm not goin' anywhere, pet. Wherever you are, I'll be right there by your side, lovin' you with all my unbeatin' heart." He kissed the tip of her upturned nose. "Goin' t' do everthin' I can t' take care of my girls, you an' the bit. I jus' want you t' trust me an' everythin' will work out."

"I do trust you," she said softly and kissed him, wrapping her arms around his neck. "And I hope, eventually, I'll earn your trust too. I don't deserve it, but I want to try to earn it."

He melted at her earnest look and the feel of her pressed so deliciously close to him. He bent his head to kiss and nibble at her neck. "I know you will, luv. An'... thank you... it means alot t' me that you do."

She smiled. "We'll work things out as we come to them then. I'm sure. You're right, as long as I trust in you, then everything should turn out all right."

"Mmm, glad you see it my way. Love hearin' you tell me how right I am, luv." He purred against her neck and started to press himself more firmly into her. "Make up shag?" He wagged his brows at her.

She rolled her eyes with a laugh. "Anything is an excuse for a shag with you."

"Damn straight." He started moving with her towards his bed as he captured her mouth with his, tongue sweeping insider her mouth to taste every inch within reach. "Anythin' for an excuse t' touch my lovely slayer. Can' get enough of her, ya know."

He laid her back and bent over her, kissing her neck as his fingers worked to unbutton her blouse and she desperately tugged at his shirt. He lifted his head so she could remove his shirt and to purr appreciatively as her breasts were bared to his gaze, dipping his head again to capture one in his mouth. He suckled it into his mouth while his hand kneaded the other breast, pinching and twisting at her nipple. She gasped and writhed beneath him, tangling her fingers in his hair and tugging at the springy curls.

"So delicious," he murmured against her skin as he started to undo her pants while kicking off his own. He nearly tore her jeans off in his haste to get to her. He had only gone a few days without her while he had avoided her, but it had seemed an eternity. "An' I have yet t' get t' my favourite treat." He smirked up at her as he hooked his fingers in her lacy little thong to draw it down her legs then toss it over his shoulder.

"You know, I am so buying a gag for you. You talk constantly!" She laughed and kicked her legs as he went to tackle her.

"If you gag me, how will I do all the things with my mouth that you love?" He demonstrated by kissing, nipping, licking, nibbling, and biting along her neck and shoulder.

She arched up into him. "I'm sure you'll come up with new and exciting things." She chuckled.

"Perhaps..." He agreed and bit at her nipple with blunt teeth as he moved down her body, causing her to toss her head back with a hoarse cry.

He lapped at it for a moment then continued his trail of bites and licks down past her navel. She lifted her hips in anticipation as he nudged her legs wider apart. His hands caressed her thighs and he lapped at her leaking pussy, drinking in every drop of her essence and massaging her clit with his tongue. She gasped and moaned, clutching at the comforter.

He curled his tongue around the little nub and slid two fingers into her, pumping them slowly before adding a third. He purred, letting it rumble against her and causing even more pleasure. He bit down on her clit and a cry of pleasure from her heralded her first orgasm, her hot sheath clenching around his fingers as he drank her like a starving man.

"Spike..." she gasped and reached for him, trying to tug him up to her.

He pushed her hands away gently then returned to pumping his fingers. He turned his face to kiss her thigh, then biting with his blunt teeth. She laid back and her fingers threaded in his hair again. He vamped and his gold eyes locked with hers then his fangs sank into her flesh, enjoying the warm rush of blood into his mouth. His already painfully hard erection tightening more if that was possible and he began to rub it against the bed while he drank. Eyes still linked, he lifted his mouth a fraction of an inch of the wound. "Mine."

He waited expectantly for her confirm his claim then return it, but was greeted with silence as she stared at him shocked. He frowned and he quickly stroked his tongue over the wound then lifted himself on his forearms. "Luv, you're s'posed t' agree by sayin' 'yours' so then you can bite me an' do the same t' return my claim."

She raised up on her elbows. "I know that, don't you think I know that??" She sighed and shook her head. "Especially after all that with Angel. Giles, as soon as he learned about me and Angel, he made it his mission to make sure I was the expert on vampire mating habits for my own protection."

"Then... why aren' you... Say it, pet. Please." Azure eyes looked at her pleading and he inched up her body, his hands clutching at her arms. His lifeline. She had just said she trusted him and that they would be together no matter what. He couldn't understand this rejection.

Gentle hands cupped his face and she pulled him close to cover his face in kisses lovingly, seeking to sooth that forlorn look. "It's nothing like that, Spike. My William. Please believe that. Let me explain before you think the worst of me again."

He kissed her slowly, needing the comfort she was giving that calmed the demon as it raged at being denied it's mate. "Please, yes, please explain t' me, luv."

"I just... I just don't think I'm ready for it... yet. It's just not best time," she shook her head slightly and then looked up into his eyes again. "So, its not saying that I don't want it, at least down the road. But, this is still new and hello, we just got done with a spat... and like I told you, I know what all that claim entails and I think things should be more..." She sighed and looked up to towards the ceiling as she tried to put it in words.

She bit her lip and looked at him again. "Say I returned the claim, and then we hit another bump in our new relationship plan and you won't able to avoid me in the basement for a week then, will you? Or it doesn't work out..." her brows drew together and she bit her bottom lip harder. "I mean, I want it to work, I really do and I'll work very hard to make it work with you, I just... worry."

"I know, I know... I do, too, an' I'll do whatever is in my power t' keep us from splittin'." He brushed a hand over her cheek then his thumb across her brow to smooth the frown lines. "An' worryin' 'bout you is part of what is makin' my demon want t' do some small measure t' protect his mate." He smiled slightly. "An' surely, such an expert as my not-so-golden slayer is, you know the benefits of bein' claimed by me?"

"Yes," she rolled her eyes. "But, its not like we're up to our eyeballs in trouble down here. Not even up to our ankles really." She licked her lips, "But seriously, Spike, I just want things to be a bit more... stable before I'm ready to take such a definitive and... eternal step as a claim. Not just a heat of the moment thing." Her brows drew together, "Are you really disappointed and mad at me?" Her bottom lip quivered. "I just want some time to be sure."

"Of course not," he purred soothingly and kissed her softly. "Well, a little disappointed, but I understand... an' I can give you as much time as you want. I'm used t' fightin' for you by now an' I'm not goin' anywhere either way."

She gave a relieved smile and wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing him hard. "I'll make it up to you, Spike. I promise."

"I'm sure you will, even though there's no need." He buried his face in her throat and inhaled her scent.

She rolled her eyes at him, but figured at this point it was better not to argue. Just to enjoy and be glad he hadn't taken her decision wrong, running off to sulk and avoid her again. She curled a leg around him and smiled, "Well, I'm going to start right now I guess."

She reached down and gripped his cock in her hand then beginning to stroke him with slow strokes. He pressed into her touch with a moan, teeth grazing her shoulder. His hands danced over her body, touching her here and there to elicit moans from her in return. They finally settled on her breasts, thumbs teasing the hardened nubs. She arched up into his hands while increasing her pace with her hand.

Finally, he could wait no longer and brushed her hand aside so he could position himself at her entrance. He caught her gaze and rested his forehead against hers so he could watch her as he entered her, the subtle shifts to her features and the way she continued to look at him with love and lust. And total trust. It was too much and he kissed her with bruising force as he began to rock his hips, long hard strokes that had her making mewlings of pleasure into his mouth.

One hand tangled in her soft chestnut hair and the other went to grasp her around the hip tightly, levering her up so he could bury himself deeper in her tight sheath. Her strong slayer muscles gripped at him with every stroke and brought them closer to the edge. Her nails dug into his back, clinging to him as she felt herself begin to fall to pieces, needing an anchor. The pain only drove him on, even as she drew blood. He growled and bit at her neck, clamping her tender skin between his teeth as he hammered into her.

"Gawd, Spike, please please bite me. Harder. Oh gawd, I'm so close." She pleaded, only half aware of her words as she bucked against him. Sex was always so mind blowing with him, it seemed. Different from the few experiences she had had before him. She really did have something different and special with Spike, and not just in bed.

He shifted into game face again and stroked her pulse with his tongue, purring at her deliciously unique taste. His slayer. Claim or no claim, she was his. Forever. He sunk his fangs deep into her flesh and his demon roared in triumph moments before they both began toppling over the edge. She screamed and tore at his back as her muscles rippled around him, nearly tearing his cock from his body. He slid his fangs out and tossed his head back with a throaty cry as he spilled himself in her.

Aftershocks rippled through them both as they laid exhausted and still entangled. He continued to lick at the pinpricks slowly, purring softly in contentment. His fingers stroking circles on her side.

She gasped for breath and then turned her head to look at him. "Spike... William... I..." She bit her lip as the words bubbled up and she suddenly became unsure of herself. She buried her face in his neck, just holding onto him tightly as she tried to get a hold on her frenzied thoughts.

"Mmm, I know, pet," he smiled, not needing the words. He knew. Even if she didn't say it. Even if she didn't even realize it herself. He knew she loved him as much as he loved her. That was enough for him. He cupped her face and kissed her slowly, softer now in the afterglow. Worshipping her mouth with his.

"I promise, Spike, there is no doubt in my mind that I want you to claim me. Just... later." She gave a small smile and brushed back the damp curls clinging to his forehead.

"I know," he chuckled. "I understand, I do. I know I get a bit-"

They were interrupted by feet pounding down the stairs at full tilt. They barely had enough time to tug the covers over them and were reluctantly breaking apart when Dawn burst out of the stairway into the basement. She looked them over and paused.

"Dawn, I..." Buffy began with a deep blush.

"About time," Dawn rolled her eyes.

The slayer's brows went up and she blinked at her kid sister. "You came down there for THAT?"

"No, there's someone at the door," she thumbed over her shoulder. "You were probably too distracted to notice. But, you'll really want to be interrupted to take this."

Buffy and Spiked looked at each other for a moment in confusion. Spike looked a little ashamed that he had been so distracted by her that even he hadn't heard the door with his enhanced senses.

"Who would be here this late?" Buffy's nose wrinkled and she looked back towards Dawn for an answer.

"Oh, I'm so not ruining the surprise. I want to see the look on your face." Dawn nodded and started back up the stairs. "I'll hold them off while you get dressed and less aftersex looking."

Buffy touched her hair and wondered if she really did have sex hair. She also looked back to Spike, still confused about who could be at her doorstep this late. "Guess I'll go answer it. Since I don't know who it is, you should stay down here. I'll call to you if I need you, okay?" She leaned over and kissed him softly, then went searching for her clothes around the room.

As soon as she was dressed, she blew him another kiss and jogged up the stairs. She paused at the hallway mirror to check if she still had the aftersex look, smoothing her hair then continuing towards the front door. It was closed, so she guessed Dawn had led them to the living room. So it must not be a really bad surprise if she was willing to invite the person in. She ran her fingers through her dark hair one last time as she stepped around the corner into the living room.

"Angel?" She gasped and took a step back. Her head was spinning as she watched her ex stand to greet her. "How... did you find us? W-what are you doing here?"

"You left your friends in quite a bind. They asked me to help get word to you." His eyes traveled over her and she was sure he probably smelled Spike on her and what they just did since she didn't have time to get a shower. "Your hair and eyes... it becomes you, though."

"My so-called friends sent you? I can't believe they could be so..." She clenched her fists and looked away. "Look, I'm sorry for them dragging you into this, but I explained to them I needed some time away and to keep Dawn safe. Do they even realized they are endangering Dawn??! No! They probably don't! Because they don't think of anything but themselves!" Her face was flushing with anger. She was also embarrassed her thoughtless friends would resort to sicking her ex-boyfriend on her.

"Buffy." He took another step forward. "Buffy... calm down a bit." He reached out to take her by her upper arms, but paused at a growling from deeper in the hallway that was so low only his vampire ears just barely picked it up. He glanced behind her briefly with a frown then looked back down at her distraught face. "Yes, they did come to me when you first disappeared. But, I didn't have any luck either, but I recently called them back seeking their help after finding out some distressing news. Giles had told them he'd be able to find you if there was an emergency, and there is."

She looked a little dubious, but nodded, "Tell me." She motioned for him to sit back down. "Dawn, you should head on to bed. School tomorrow." She rubbed her sister's back as she passed. "It'll be okay," she assured her with a brief hug then watched her go. "You can come out now, Spike. Don't think I suddenly stopped being able to sense you." She rolled her eyes over her shoulder then head into the living room to sit across from Angel.

Spike grumbled as he followed her into the living room, flopping down beside her on the couch and setting his feet on the coffee table with a loud thud. He put a possessive arm around Buffy and she wasn't blind to the obvious message he was trying to send Angel. She was his. While she agreed with trying to make this clear to Angel, she just hoped it didn't escalate into their usual bickering and even fighting. She leaned into Spike slightly and folded her hands in her lap, sending her own message while waiting for Angel to explain.

His dark eyes passed between them, missing nothing and latching onto Spike's hand as it stroked Buffy's shoulder idly. "Well, it was Cordelia... you know she came and works for me now. She... well, she gets visions now. From the powers."

"Cordelia the Vision Seer?" Buffy's brows went up and she fought not to giggle, not when he was trying to tell her something serious. "Sorry. What did she see then?"

"Trouble, big trouble. It's like when you died and all the demons converged on Sunnydale, thinking it an easy target without the slayer. They're starting to realize you're not there again and Cordelia's vision was of a big group of very nasty ones coming to Sunnydale. She saw your friends hurt and... worse." He lifted his eyes, keeping them schooled at looking sad and worried. Inwardly, he was hopefully and anxious that this would work. That his plans would work, although he had reached his first goal of finding out where she was was. Now, he had other goals he had formed since his idea first formed. "They need your help. I guess... it might not take long, just show up and get rid of these demons when they show up. It'll send the message that the slayer still protects Sunnydale and hopefully prevent any other big attacks."

Buffy licked her lips and nodded. She looked up at Spike, trying to read his expression to see what he thought of his. His face was blank and she should have figured as much with Angel around, so she looked back at the larger vampire. "Let me discuss this with Spike alone for a moment. I agree, this sounds bad and we have to do something about it."

She got up and took Spike by the arm to pull him to his fate, and away from the glaring contest he had going with his Grand-sire. They headed across the house to the kitchen and she hopped up to sit on the counter, pulling him close and laying his cheek against his chest. His arms cradled her gently.

"I won't go if you're absolutely against it." She told him softly. "We can think of some other way, I'm sure." She sighed. "I mean, I can't leave Dawn here alone and I can't take her with me..."

"Shhh, they need you an' like he said, you need t' show the demons who's the boss in Sunnydale," he kissed the top of her head. "I can take care of Nibblet, make sure she gets off t' school, does her homework, an' eats right. Keep her safe like always." His hands ran soothing circled on her back. "You go an' take care of this then hurry back t' me."

She looked up and studied his face. He really had changed. She was sure before now he would have just said 'Screw 'em' if this had happened, but now... standing in there comforting here, he was willing to let her go long enough to go protect those who were important to her. It was things like this that made it easy to see him as more than just some soulless vamp on a chip leash.

"If you're sure..." she chewed on her lip.

"Very. You got the number an' we can call each other constantly," he smirked. "If there's any trouble, I'll be there immediately. I'm sure James'd watch Dawn in an emergency. An' I trust you t' come back t' me." He kissed her softly.

She beamed at that, glad he trusted her for something. "I'll make quick work of these guys and hurry right back." She kissed him back then turned to go tell Angel that they were going.



tbc...