Author's Chapter Notes:
Minor Bangel fluff... *disgusted face*
Thanks to Jessica & UncagedMuse for the reviews... :D

Words: 3,248
*Halloween*
“I thought we had...” Angel trailed off lamely.

“A date. So did I. But who am I kidding?” Her voice was sad, but not completely surprised. She looked over towards the stage as the band played before focusing on her boyfriend again.

I'm an angel burning out
Oh now


“Dates are things normal girls have. Girls who have time to think about nail polish and facials. You know what I think about? Ambush tactics. Beheading. Not exactly the stuff dreams are made of.” Turning from Angel, Buffy walked out the door, leaving Angel standing there trying to ignore the barbs Cordelia threw at him.

XXX

The three friends walked down the corridor away from principal Snyder, who was still hauling kids over and forcing them to sign forms.

“I can't believe this. We have to get dressed up and the whole deal?” Xander couldn’t believe it.

“Snyder said costumes were mandatory.” Willow sighed.

“Great. I was gonna stay in and veg. The one night a year things are supposed to be quiet for me.” With a long sigh Buffy faced her friends, praying she’d wake up soon and the whole week would be a dream.

“Halloween quiet? Oh, I figured it'd be a big old vamp scare- apalooza.” Xander asked shocked as they walk into the lounge.

“Not according to Giles. He swears that tomorrow night is, like, dead for the undead.” The two girls sat down on the couch. “They stay in.”

Xander says smiling “Those wacky vampires! That's why I love 'em! They just keep you guessing!” And walked over to the vending machine.

XXX

Later that night at Ethane’s Costume Shop. The store is full of mothers with their kids looking for Halloween costumes. Buffy is handling a plastic pumpkin when it suddenly lights up and screams. She quickly puts it back on the counter. Willow comes over to her.

“What'd you get?” Buffy asked, she couldn’t wait to see what her friend got, knowing she’d need all the ideas she could get cause she had no idea.

“A time-honoured classic!” Willow smiled as she held up a ghost costume with ‘boo’ written across it. Nothing more than a white sheet and some words, Buffy couldn’t help but roll her eyes.

“Okay, Will, can I give you a little friendly advice?”

“It's not spooky enough?”

“It's just... you're never gonna get noticed if you keep hiding. You're missing the whole point of Halloween.”

Willow smiles “Free candy?” Light, joking, trying to steer away from Buffy’s point.

“It's come as you aren't night. The perfect chance for a girl to get sexy and wild with no repercussions.” The sentence was accompanied with a little wiggle of Buffy’s hips, as Willow’s eyes widened.

“Oh, I don't get wild. Wild on me equals spaz.” Her voice shook with nerves, no way did she want to get ‘sexy’.

“Don't underestimate yourself. You've got it in you.” Eyes wide still, Willow surveyed the rest of the shop, seeing Xander she called him over. Walking up to them she asked him what he’d purchased. He pulls a toy military rifle out of his bag and holds it up for Willow to see.

“That's not a costume.” Buffy pointed out, her voice trying to be friendly. Still upset with her for saving him earlier Xander gives Buffy a look, then turns to Willow

“I got fatigues from an Army surplus at home. Call me the Two-Dollar Costume King, baby!” He smiled at Willow who smiled back.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Buffy walked over to a frilly, red, billowy 18th-century gown, forgetting about her and Xander touching reunion for a moment.

“It's amazing.”

“Too bulky. I prefer my women in spandex.”

Ethan, the owner of the costume shop, notices her looking at the dress and comes over to them.

“Please, let me.” He carefully takes the dress off of its dressmaker's mannequin.

“Oh, I-it's...”

“Magnificent. Yes, I know. There.” He holds it up to her in a mirror “My. Meet the hidden princess. I think we found a match. Don't you?”

Buffy looks at Ethan embarrassed. “Oh, uh, I-I'm sorry. There's no way I could ever afford this.”

“Oh, nonsense. I feel quite moved to make you a deal you can't refuse.” Smiling at her slyly as she looks back into the mirror, takes the dress from Ethan and smiles dreamily as she holds it up to her chin.

XXX

Later that night in the back room at ‘Ethane’s’. Ethane himself comes through the curtain and kneels before his statue of Janus. He presses his hands together and winces in pain. When he pulls them apart there are wounds in his palms, and blood flows freely from them.

“The world that denies thee, thou inhabit.”

He dabs the blood from his left hand with his right middle finger and smears it over his right eyelid.

“The peace that ignores thee...”

He dabs the blood from his right hand with his left middle finger and smears it over his left eyelid.

“...Thou corrupt.”

He dabs the blood from his left hand with his right middle finger again and smears a cross onto his forehead.

“Chaos. I remain, as ever, thy faithful, degenerate son.”

The statue has a woman's face on one side a man's face on the other.

XXX

Children are arriving at the school in costume to be taken trick-or-treating. Inside the hall by the stairs Buffy is standing there holding a clipboard, waiting for her charges. Snyder brings them to her.

“This is your group, Summers. No need to speak to them. The last thing they need is your influence. Just bring them back in one piece and I won't expel you.” He starts to leave as Buffy bends down to the kids

“Hi.”

“Ah, ah!” Buffy straightens back up and rolls her eyes.

XXX

In the back room at ‘Ethane’s’. He weaves a spell in Latin, while standing over the same statue as before.

“Janus, evoco vestram animam. Exaudi meam causam. Carpe noctem pro consilio vestro. Veni, appare et nobis monstra quod est infinita potestas.”
{Translation: Janus, I invoke your spirit. Hear my plea. Seize the night for your own reason. Come, appear and show to us that which is infinite power.}

He raises his head.

“Showtime!”

XXX

Willow is lying on the porch of the old ladys house, the same old lady the child monsters attacked. She gets up out of her body and looks down at it. She's only wearing her sexy outfit now without the sheet, the sheet is still on the other Willow.

“Ohmigod! I'm a real ghost!” Willow was frantic; she couldn’t understand how this had happened. Hearing automatic rifle fire and turns to look. “Xander?”

She runs out into the street and comes up behind him. “Xander!”

He spins around and points his M-16 at her.

“It's me, Willow!”

“I don't know any Willow.” He tells her suspiciously.

“Xander, quite messing around. This is no time for jokes.”

“What the hell's going on here?”

“You don't know me?” She sounds hurt.

Xander lifts the rifle away from her. “Lady, I suggest you find cover.” He starts walking past her

Willow gets in front of him. “No, wait!”

Xander walks right through her. They're both surprised by the experience.

“Oh!” Willow supplies meekly.

Xander turns around and points his weapon at her again. She turns to face him.

“What are you?” He raises the rifle again, frowning.

“Xander, listen to me. I'm on your side, I swear! Something crazy is happening. I was dressed as a ghost for Halloween, a-and now I am a ghost. And you were supposed to be a soldier, and now I, I-I guess you're a real soldier.”

“You expect me to believe that?”

A monster appears across the street, growling. Xander points his rifle at it an fires, proud when it runs away. Willow jumps in front of him.

“No! No guns! That's still a little kid in there!” She tells him sternly.

Paying her no heed he tells her, “Step out of the way!”

“No guns! That's an order!”

He lowers the rifle.

“We just need to find...” she sees her. “Buffy!”

She runs across the street over to Buffy. Xander follows.

“Buffy! Are you okay?”

The monster is back with a friend and they both roar as they approach. Xander shoulders his M-16 again and takes aim.

“This could be a situation.”

“Buffy, what do we do?” Willow asks as Buffy faints and falls to the ground. Xander fires off a couple dozen rounds at the approaching monsters. Who turn and run, so Xander lowers his rifle. Willow is kneeling beside Buffy, who's lying against a tree.

“Buffy, are you alright?” She asks hesitantly.

“What?” The blonds eyes are wide and dazed.

“Are you hurt?” Xander asks coolly.

“Buffy, are you hurt?” Willow tried again.

Buffy sits up “Buffy?”

Willow turns to Xander as if he should know. “She’s not Buffy.”

“Who's Buffy?”

“Oh, this is fun.” Turning to Buffy. “What year is this?”

Xander takes Buffy's hand and helps her up.

“1775, I believe.” She’s confused and hyperventilating. “I-I don't understand. Who are you?”

“We're friends.”

“F-friends of whom? Y-your dress... Everything is strange! How did I come to be here?”

“Breathe, okay, breathe. You're gonna faint again.” Turning to Xander. “How are we supposed to get through this without the Slayer?”

“What's a Slayer?” He asks just as confused as Buffy.

A monster comes around the tree behind Buffy and roars, saving Willow from having to answer; fangs bared and claws raised to attack. Buffy screams and backs off. Xander jumps in and whacks the monster across the face with the butt of his rifle, knocking it down and out.

“I suggest we get inside before we come across anything...”

Before he could finish, Buffy starts screaming. “A DEMON! A DEMON!” She gets behind Xander. “A DEMON!”
A sport utility vehicle comes driving down the street with its headlights on.

“That's not a demon. It's a car.” He tells her calmly.

“What does it want?”

“Is this woman insane?” He asks the redhead ghost.

“She's never seen a car.”

“She's never seen a car?” He repeated the sentence incredulously.

“She's from the past.”

“And you're a ghost.” He had to fight the urge to laugh, it was so lame.

“Yes! Now let's get inside.”

“I just want you to know that I'm taking a lot on faith here. Where do we go?”

Willow thinks. “Where's the closest... We can go to a friend's.”

In the kitchen of the Summers house, Xander opens the door and scans the room.

“All clear!”

Willow walks in after him. “Hello? Mrs. Summers?” There’s no response. “Good, she's gone.” Xander closes the door.

“Where are we?” Buffy wonders aloud, perplexed.

“Your place. Now we just need to...”

They hear a woman screaming outside. Xander looks out again. “Damn it!” He opens the door and goes out to rescue whomever it is, pulling the door closed behind him. Buffy runs up to Willow.

“Surely he'll not desert us!”

Willow shakes her head. “Whatever.” She rolls her eyes and heads into the living room. Buffy is wide-eyed with fear.

A while later Willow is watching through the window as Xander and Cordelia quickly come in through the door.

“Cordelia!” She exclaims.

“Wait a... What's going on?”

“Okay, your name is Cordelia, you're not a cat, you're in high school, and we're your friends. Well, sort of.” She rambles through the list of important to-knows finding it strange she wasn’t actually a cat.

“That's nice, Willow. And you went mental when?” Snaky as usual, no thanks whatsoever.

“You know us?” Smiling against her better judgement Willow asked to be sure.

“Yeah. Lucky me. What's with the name game?”

“A lot's going on.”

“No kidding.” Xander has taken his shirt off and puts it around her shoulders.

“Here.”

“Thanks.”

“Okay. You guys stay here while I get some help. If something tries to get in, just fight it off.”

“Well, I-it's not our place to fight. Uh, surely some men will protect us.” 18th Century!Buffy stutters.

“What's that riff?” Cordy asks irritated with the slayers irregular whimpyness.

“I-it's like amnesia, okay? They don't know who they are. Just sit tight.” She starts to go as Cordy asks:

“Who died and made her the boss?”

Willow walks through the wall behind Cordelia. Buffy stares in wide-eyed amazement.

’If she only knew.’ Willow thinks to herself as she leaves them inside the house. Feeling safe now as she travelled through Sunnydale alone, nothing could hurt her today.

XXX

Several monsters are chasing people down the street past Spike as he walks alone not far from Buffy’s house.

“Well! This is just... neat!”

XXX

Angel comes in takes Buffy while Xander and Cordy go upstairs. They go into the kitchen. Angel sees that the door is open.

“I didn't leave that open.” He states. Letting go of 18th Century!Buffys arm he quietly moves toward the door as he looks around for an intruder. He closes the door. The basement door behind Buffy opens, and a vampire attacks her. She tries to push the door closed on him. Angel grabs the vampire and wrestles him to the floor. It's the student escort in a vampire costume.

“A stake!” He shouts at her.

“A what?”

“Get me a stake!”

Buffy looks around and grabs a knife she sees on the counter.

“Hurry up!” He growls. Turning to look and see what's keeping her and has his game face on. Buffy screams at the top of her lungs and runs for the door.

“Buffy, no!” He bellows too late. She’s already opened the door and ran out.

XXX

Buffy runs down an alley, between all the trash that's piled up there. As Cordelia, Angel and Xander are looking for her. Xander has his rifle raised and ready as they are walking.

“Are you sure she came this way?” He asks.

“No.” Angel informs him sharply.

“She'll be okay.”

Buffy would be okay. Whoever she is now, she's helpless. C'mon!”

Behind a tree, where Spike is hiding, he overhears their conversation. He turns to the child monsters Willow was chaperoning.

“Do you hear that, my friends?” The monsters nod and growl. “Somewhere out here is the,” flash of Buffy running down the alley, “tenderest meat you've ever tasted, and all we have to do is find her first!”

Buffy has stopped running and leans against a crate. She sniffs and looks around, frightened.

XXX

Giles looks around as he and Willow enter ‘Ethane’s’.

“Hello! Anyone home?” Willow sees the curtain to the back room partially open.

“Giles...” They slowly go in and see the statue of Janus there. Its eyes glow green.

“Janus. Roman mythical god.”

“What does this mean?”

“Primarily the division of self. Male and female, light and dark.”

Ethan appears. “Chunky and creamy. Oh, no, sorry, that's peanut butter.”

Giles stares at Ethan as though he's seen a ghost. “Willow, get out of here, now.”

“But...” She begins to protest.

“Now!” She obeys him and goes, leaving the two men alone.

“Hello, Ethan.”

“Hello, Ripper.”

XXX

Willow comes running down the alley from the other end. “Guys!”

“Willow!”

“Guys, you gotta get inside.” She looks back and they see Spike and his monster gang coming.

“We need a triage!”

Angel points the other way “This way! Find an open warehouse.”

Xander turns and picks up his rifle. “Ladies, we're on the move!”

He quickly heads down the alley. Cordelia and Willow follow him. Angel lifts Buffy and carries her away. Spike and the monsters walk after them at a quick, deliberate pace.

XXX

They all start running again, and Xander follows when he can no longer hold the grating against the monsters. The grates fall to the floor as two monsters come in and push the barrels aside. Spike follows them in and looks around. He leads the monsters off after them.

XXX

Ethan is on the floor, severely beaten up. “And you said the Ripper was long gone.” He laughs, the laugh soon turning into a mild cough of pain as his broken ribs rub together.

“Tell me how to stop the spell.”

“Say 'pretty please'.” He mocks.

Giles kicks him hard in the kidney, and he yells out in pain.

XXX

Spike has caught up with them, and the monsters hold Xander and Angel. He slowly closes in on Buffy as she backs away, trembling.

“Look at you. Shaking. Terrified. Alone. Lost little lamb.”

Buffy has backed up against a crate and can't go any further. Spike slaps her across the face with the back of his hand.
“I love it.”

Angel struggles with the two monsters holding him. “Buffy!”

Spike puts his left hand around her throat and bends her backward onto the crate. He strokes her forehead with his right hand. Xander struggles with his two captors. Spike grabs Buffy's hair and closes in for the bite.

XXX

Giles kicks Ethane again. “Now, tell me how to stop the spell.”

Finally admitting defeat, he sighs heavily. “Janus. Break its statue.”

Giles grabs the statue and lifts it over his head to smash it.

XXX

Xander gets free of the monsters and punches one in the face, the other in the gut, and then shoves the second monster into the first. Spike closes in on Buffy. Xander turns his attention to Spike.

“Now that guy you can shoot.” Xander grabs his M-16 and aims.

Meanwhile Spike leans down, his intent was never to bite her, and instead he presses his cool lips to her hot, trembling ones. Kissing her passionately as he plundered her mouth with his tongue, Buffy lying beneath him lay very still.

‘Anything was better than dying.’

XXX

Giles throws the statue hard to the floor, smashing it into tiny pieces.

XXX

Xander shoulders his toy rifle. “What the...” He mutters in dismay, eyeing the toy.

The monsters have all turned back into children and student escorts. The kids are frightened, and begin to cry and complain.
“I'm scared! I want my mommy!”

Spike looks back at them and straightens up. He pulls on Buffy's hair to pull her up and finds he just has a wig in his hands. He looks at Buffy, eyes wide. She gets up off of the crate and smiles at him, wiping her hand across her mouth. Spiting defiantly, she repressed a frown when she saw hurt flash in his eyes.

“Hi, honey. I'm home.”

XXX

Giles looks behind him and sees that Ethan has gone.

XXX

Angel is lounging on Buffys bed in her room. She opens the door and comes in wearing a tank top and sweatpants.

“Tada. Just little old 20th-century me.” She laughs giving him a small twirl.

“Sure you're okay?”

“I'll live.” She walks over to him, and he sits up on the bed. Angel smiles and draws Buffy nearer. They kiss gently yet passionately as she cradles his face in her hands.

XXX

Outside Spike is standing there, looking up at her bedroom window. He lifted his fingers and touched his lips with them, smiling at the memory of her lips. He smirked.

‘This should be fun.’

He thought he might play with her for awhile before he killed her, maybe even sleep with her first.

‘The slayer? I need to get laid bad enough to consider the slayer. It’s all your fault Dru, baby. All your fault!’

“Soon, slayer. Soon.”

*The End*

-----

PLEASE PLEASE REVIEW MEEEEE....