Chapter 10
Spike headed towards the football field. After Buffy and Fred’s unexpected arrival at lunch, his friends had been more than a little confused. That was until he casually mentioned the fact that Buffy was now his girlfriend. He chuckled, remembering the looks on their faces. After an impressing fish impersonation, Willow told him that she was happy for them. Jesse merely scowled his dislike for Buffy obvious. Anya hadn’t been too surprised, but told him not to hurt her or she would personally remove his reason for being a man. After staring at Spike for what seemed like hours, Xander jumped up and yelled, “I knew it!” effectively embarrassing him in front of the cafeteria. He then sat back down, and tried to hide behind Anya. And Oz had just been, well, Oz.

He walked onto the field, heading towards the bleachers where Buffy was sitting, waiting for him.

‘Waiting for me.’ Spike thought, smiling.

Buffy gave a tiny wave when she spotted him, and he went up and sat down next to her. They sat on silence for a moment, trying to decide who would speak first. Finally, Spike broke the silence.

“So, why’d you want to meet me here, pet?”

Buffy looked at him.

“Well, I thought we should, um, you know, get our facts straight.”

“What do you mean, luv?” Spike asked.

“Well, what if someone asks me a question about you, and I don’t know the answer? Wouldn’t that look a little weird?”

“I see where you’re going with this. You think we should get to know each other better?” Spike replied.

“Uh, yeah. So we don’t make total fools of ourselves.”

Spike nodded, and then there was silence, each of thinking of what they should do.

‘Bloody hell. I thought maybe she would like me. But I see this means nothing to her. Maybe I should step it up a bit. Ask her out.’ Spike thought, sneaking a glance at Buffy.

Buffy resisted the urge to openly stare at Spike. Instead, her thoughts wandered to their arrangement.

‘I really don’t think he likes me. Hell, this whole getting-to-know-each-other plan was just a way to get him to ask me out. But I don’t think that’s gonna happen.’, Buffy thought.

Buffy was snapped out of her daze when she noticed Spike was staring at her.

“What?” she asked.

“Did you hear what I said?”

Buffy blushed.

“Uh, no. Sorry, what?”

“I was wondering what you were doing tonight. Maybe we could go out. Have our talk.” Spike said, playing with the hem of his duster.

‘Aww. That’s so adorable!’ Buffy thought, watching him fiddle with the coat.

“No.” Buffy replied.

Spike didn’t look up.

“That’s alright, luv. We could talk here or something, if you’d prefer that.”

Buffy furiously shook her head.

“No, I meant, no, I have nothing planned.”

Spike looked at her and grinned.

“I see. You’re doing the confusing talk again.” he teased.

Buffy blushed again and looked down.

“Sorry about that. When I get nervous I tend to babble and talk in confusing sentences.”

Spike’s grin got bigger.

“You’re nervous? About what?” he asked, smirking.

Buffy’s head shot up.

“Nervous? Who said I was nervous? What do I have to be nervous about? I’m not nervous.” Buffy told him, shaking her head and blushing even more.

Spike just grinned and nodded.

“Fine, you’re not nervous.”

“I’m not.” Buffy replied.

“Ok, then.”

They sat in silence once again.

“So, is that a yes then, luv?” Spike asked.

“Huh? Oh, about our date. It is a date, right?”

“Well, I would think so. We are going out, after all. So, you want me to pick you up?”

Buffy nodded.

“Yeah. That would be good. No more driving for Buffy.”

Spike grinned.

“Yeah, cuz we know how well that went last time.” Spike teased.

Buffy playfully smacked his arm.

“It’s not funny!”

Spike chuckled.

“No, it’s not, especially when I have to spend my time getting sweaty to fix it for you when I could be doing bad, evil things.” Spike said, teasing her a little bit more.

Buffy’s eyes widened.

“I’m sorry. I could pay you something, if you want. It won’t be a thousand dollars, but I’ll pay you something.”

Spike grimaced, realizing she had taken his teasing as an insult.

“No, kitten, I was just teasing you. I think you’ve paid me pretty well.”

Buffy nodded, her thoughts racing.

‘He called me kitten! I like that. Oooh, sweaty Spike.’ Buffy thought, then realized Spike was staring at her again.

“Did you say something?” she asked.

“No. Just watching you think about, whatever it is you’re thinking about.” Spike replied.

Buffy giggled nervously.

“Sorry. I’ve just had a lot on my mind lately.”

“S’ok.”

They sat in silence again, until Buffy stood and gathered her things.

“I really need to go, now. I’ll see you tonight, right?” Buffy asked.

Spike nodded, also standing up.

“About seven?”

“Ok. See you then.” Buffy replied, walking away.

Spike watched her walk away.

‘A good day, indeed.’ he thought.