Chapter 12
Buffy and Spike rode somewhat in a comfortable silence, Buffy looked out the window, trying to look for any clues as to where he was taking her. After about ten minutes passed, Buffy realized they were headed toward the warehouse district.

“Why are we in the warehouse part of town?” Buffy asked, nervously.

Spike glanced at her.

“I told you. It’s a surprise.”

“But I really don’t like this part of town. Really. It gives me the wiggins.”

Spike chuckled, but remained silent. Seeing that he wasn’t about to spill, Buffy sighed and leaned back in her seat.

After another minute, Spike turned down an alley and parked the car. Buffy looked around nervously. Spike got out and went over to her side, and opened the door. Then he reached into the back seat and pulled out a small duffel bag. He remained silent, and Buffy started to get nervous.

“Come on, luv.”

Spike turned around and grabbed her hand, leading her down the alley. They reached the end, and they stepped out. There was a steep hill in front of them, and Buffy could see the docks and the ocean beyond it.

“You have to be careful here, luv. It can be dangerous if you don’t walk right.”

Spike started to slowly go down the sandy hill, Buffy following behind. Just as Buffy stepped down, her foot slipped on the sand. She stumbled and almost went rolling down the steep hill until Spike wrapped his arm around her around the waist, keeping her still.

“Wow. You weren’t kidding about the dangerous part” Buffy said, breathless.

Spike looked at down at her, realizing just how close they were.

“Told you to step carefully.” Spike said, removing his arm from her waist, both missing the contact.

Spike started to go down the hill again, but stopped when he realized Buffy was still standing at the top. He walked back up.

“You alright, luv?”

Buffy nodded.

“Uh, can you, uh, hold me?” Buffy asked, blushing. At Spike’s raised eyebrow, Buffy added, “I’d prefer not to roll down the hill. I like my body parts.”

“Me too, kitten.” Spike answered, smirking, causing Buffy to turn red.

Spike chuckled, and wrapped his arm around her waist, and they slowly walked down. When they finally got down the hill, Buffy’s eyes widened.

“Oh my God.”

They were standing on a mini beach, surrounded by tall sand dunes. There was a perfect view of the ocean.

Spike grinned and Buffy’s reaction.

“Beautiful, innit? Found this place when I first moved to Sunnyhell. I come here a lot, to just, think and relax.”

“I didn’t know a place like this existed in Sunnydale.” Buffy said.

Spike grabbed her hand, and they walked closer to the shore.

“Wow! The sand is clean!” Buffy exclaimed, reaching down to run her hands through the sand.

Spike chuckled, and Buffy stood up, blushing again.

“I just mean, there’s no trash or glass in It.”, she stuttered.

“I know what you mean. No one knows about this place. So it stays fairly clean.” Spike told her.

Spike reached into his duffel bag and pulled out a blanket. He spread it on the sand, and sat down on it, Buffy following him.

“Sorry for scaring you back there. Didn’t want to tell you where I was taking you. I thought we could talk here.” Spike said.

Buffy smiled.

“It’s ok. It’s nice here.”

Spike grinned, and stretched out on the blanket. Buffy looked around, unsure if she should lie down next to him.

“Why don’t you lay back? I promise I won’t bite. Unless you ask me too.” Spike said, staring at the sky.

Buffy lay down next to Spike.

‘Hmm. You can bite me anytime. I surely won’t mind…’ Buffy’s thoughts were interrupted when she realized Spike was looking at her.

“What do you think?”

“I-I, uh…” Buffy stammered.

“About the Big Dipper. That’s it over there, innit?” Spike asked, pointing to a group of stars.

Buffy looked at where he was pointing.

“Yeah. That’s it.”

“Wasn’t sure. I’m not good with the astrology thing.” Spike replied.

“Astronomy.” Buffy said.

“Huh?”

“Astronomy. The science of the stars. I used to have this thing when I was younger. I had a few telescopes.” Buffy said.

“Really? And where are they now?”

“The telescopes? In a box in the attic. Haven’t used them in a few years. Not since I moved to Sunnydale.”

“Ah, I see. Too geeky for the popular crowd, huh?” Spike said, chuckling.

“Yeah.” Buffy answered quietly.

Spike noticed the tone in her voice and stopped smiling.

“Strike a nerve, pet?”

Buffy looked over at Spike.

“What?”

“Wondering why you responded sounding so sad.”

“I didn’t.” Buffy told him.

“Why do you put up with them?” Spike suddenly asked.

“Who?” Buffy asked, trying to sound oblivious to his meaning.

“Cordelia and Harmony and the other. What’s her name?”

“Cecily.”

“Yeah, her. Why?”

“They’re my friends.” Buffy responded, sounding not too sure of her answer.

Spike sat up, leaning on his elbow.

“Pfft. They use you, Buffy.”

“They do not!” Buffy said, sitting up.

“Yes they do. You just don’t want to see it.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Buffy huffed.

“What about the car?”

“What about it?” Buffy countered.

“Cordelia’s car was in the shop. So they bullied you into using your mum’s just so they could go to the Bronze.”

Buffy stared at Spike, mouth hung open, while Spike continued.

“And then, when you crashed the car, they left you high and dry, alone on a dark street with no help, and no way of getting anywhere. So tell me they don’t use you, luv.”

Buffy turned away, staring at the waves hitting the shore.

‘He’s right. They do use me. But I can’t agree with him. He’ll think I’m a total idiot.’ Buffy thought, letting her pride run away with her.

“They are my friends.” she said, quietly.

Spike shook his head, knowing he wouldn’t win this one. So he changed the subject.

“So, why did you move to Sunnyhell?”

Buffy lay back down on the blanket.

“Nuh uh. Your turn. Why did you move to Sunnydale?” she asked.

Spike chuckled, and lay back next to Buffy.

“Me and my dad moved here from England after my mum died.”

Buffy looked at Spike.

“What happened?”

“She died of cancer.”

“How old were you?”

“Fourteen.”

“Oh my god. That’s so sad.” Buffy said, absently rubbing his arm.

Spike noticed her movements, but didn’t comment.

“So, we moved here that summer, my dad got a job at the high school library, and I started my freshman year.” Spike said.

“So, you started Sunnydale High only a few months before I got here.” Buffy replied.

“Yep. Then you came, and Anya of course.” he said, then added, “Turned my world upside down.” he added quietly.

But Buffy heard him.

“Who did?” she asked.

“Who did what?”

“Turned you world upside down?”

Spike turned red.

“Oh, uh…”

“I bet Anya did. She’s like that. Always making people crazy.” Buffy said.

Spike sighed in relief when he realized Buffy thought he was talking about Anya.

‘Silly bint. Doesn’t she realize I’m talking about her?’ Spike thought.

‘Why would Anya turn his world upside down? I hoped he was going to say I did. Jealous? No, I’m not jealous.’ Buffy thought.

Buffy sat up, and looked at Spike.

“We need to get our facts straight.”

“You said that once today, luv. I thought this was what we were doing.” Spike replied.

“I know, but I mean…we need to get the simplest facts straight, like whole names, birthdays…”

“I get it.” Spike said.

“Ok. So, let’s start. We’ll take turns asking questions. But remember, simple.”

“Alright.”

“So, whole name?” Buffy started.

“William James Giles.” Spike answered.

“Cool. Elizabeth Anne Summers.”

“I like ‘lizabeth. Favorite animal?”

“Mr. Gordo.”

“Who?”

“Mr. Gordo. He’s a pig.”

“You have a real pig?” Spike asked, eyebrows rose in interest.

“No. A stuffed one.”

“Now that’s gross.”

“No! A plush pig. A stuffed animal. A toy…”

“I got it!” Spike said, throwing his hands in the air, and then added, “Tiger.”

“Ooh, I like cats too. They run a close second. Favorite color?”

“Do I even have to dignify that with an answer?”

“Guess not. Black and red.”

“Good choice, luv. Siblings?”

“Just Anya. And now Fred.” Buffy replied.

“None for me.”

“You can have Anya.” Buffy told him, grinning.

“No thanks. She a nice girl, but…”

“Crazy? Yep. Ok, birthday?”

“August 20th.” Spike answered.

“February 11.”

“Uh, favorite subject?”

“History.” Buffy answered.

Spike raised an eyebrow.

“What? Just because I’m quote sooo popular unquote, doesn’t mean I can’t like something like history.”

“I didn’t say anything. But I like history too. And English.”

“English?”

“Um, poetry.” Spike said, avoiding her gaze.

“You write any?” Buffy asked.

Spike looked at her, perplexed.

“Maybe. A little. Mostly, uh, song lyrics.” Spike stammered.

“Hmm. Who knew the Big Bad wrote poetry.”

“Hey now, this goes nowhere. It stays here.” Spike said.

“Ok. It’s not like I was going to tell everyone your secrets.”

“So, what about you? Any special hobbies?”

“Um, I still like to look at the stars. And I like to read. Stuff other than the latest Cosmo.” Buffy replied.

“Any books in particular?”

“No. Just anything dealing with the paranormal.”

“Ghost stories.” Spike said.

“Kinda. So, you think that’s good enough for now?” Buffy asked.

Spike glanced at his watch.

“Well, we’ve been talking for four hours. If it’s enough for you.”

“Wow. Four hours? That was not four hours.” Buffy said, grabbing Spike’s wrist to look for herself. “Oh. That went by fast.”

“Disappointed? We could always stay here longer.” Spike said, playing with a string on the blanket.

“Maybe a little.” Buffy said, quietly.

“Me too.” Spike said.

“But I can’t stay. It’s late, and mom with have a heart attack if I’m not home.”

“’S alright.” Spike answered, standing up.

Buffy stood also, and Spike picked up the blanket, packing it into the duffel bag. Then he grabbed her hand, and before she could protest, led her up the hill to the car. Following Spike, Buffy had the biggest smile on her face.