Chapter 5


It was Monday morning, and Buffy was in Fred’s new room helping her pick out something to wear for her first day of school. Buffy sifted through the new clothes she and Fred had gotten on their shopping trip. Fred sat on the bed fiddling with the comforter.

“You have nothing to be worried about, you know.” Buffy told her, sensing her nervousness.

“But what if no one likes me?” Fred asked.

Buffy smiled at her.

“Then they’re stupid. You’ll be fine. Here, put this on.” Buffy answered, handing Fred a pale blue sundress.

Fred smiled and took the dress from Buffy.

“I’ll be back in a second.” Buffy told her, leaving the room.

She went into her room and picked through the make-up on her dresser. She picked up a few things and went back over to Fred’s room.

“Are you ready?” Buffy asked through the door.

The door cracked open, and Fred peeked out at Buffy.

“I don’t think I should wear this.” Fred told her.

“Open up. I wanna see.” Buffy replied.

Fred opened the door and Buffy stepped in. She looked at Fred and smiled.

“I think it looks cute.” Buffy said, fixing the spaghetti straps on Fred’s shoulders.

“Are you sure?” Fred asked again, playing with the hem of the dress.

“Yep. Now sit down. I’m gonna do your make-up.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

A few minutes later, Buffy came down the stairs with Fred behind her. They went into the kitchen to get breakfast.

“Good morning girls.” Joyce greeted them.

“Morning mom. Don’t you think Fred looks cute?” Buffy said, leaning on the counter.

Joyce looked at Fred, who was standing next to the stove. Joyce smiled at her, and turned to Buffy.

“She looks gorgeous.”

“See? I told you it doesn’t look bad.” Buffy said, smirking at a blushing Fred.

“Oh, Anya left with Xander. Do you girls want me to take you to school?” Joyce asked them.

Buffy nodded, and Fred gave a little smile.

“Sure.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Anya and Xander walked hand in hand over to the gang. They greeted each other and sat down under their tree.

“So, what’s the what? Anything special happening today?” Jesse asked.

“Does anything special happen any other day in this place?” Spike answered, rolling his eyes.

“True. But a guy can always hope. Maybe the school will explode.” Jesse said, smiling.

“With us in it? Not my idea of special.” Xander said.

Jesse’s smile faded.

“Huh. Didn’t think of it that way.”

“Hey, who’s that walking with Buffy?” Willow asked.

They turned to see Buffy walking with a brunette girl.

“Oh, that’s Fred. She’s living with us now.” Anya said.

“Living with you?” Spike asked.

“Yep. Buffy picked her up from a runaway shelter, and now she’s living with us, and going to school.” Anya answered.

“She’s pretty.” Jesse said, staring at the girl.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy and Fred walked into school. Buffy took her to the office where she got her schedule.

“We have all the same classes except fourth period, right before lunch. You have Advanced Physics. You can meet me for lunch.” Buffy said, handing the paper to Fred.

“Ok.” Fred answered staring at the paper in her hands.

They headed off to their classes.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy stood outside of the cafeteria waiting for Fred. It had been ten minutes since the lunch bell had rung, and no sign of Fred.

“What are you doing?”

Buffy turned to face Cordelia, who stood there with her arms crossed.

“I was waiting for someone.” Buffy told her.

“Well, guess who’s sitting at our table?” Cordelia said, grabbing Buffy’s arm.

Cordelia pulled Buffy to their usual table, where Harmony and Cecily sat with…

“Angel?” Buffy said.

“Hey Buffy.” Angel greeted her, smiling.

Buffy sat down next to him.

“How have you been?” Buffy asked him.

Angel was about to answer when Cordelia starting laughing.

“Look at the new girl! What a loser!” Cordelia said, laughing hysterically.

Buffy looked up to see Fred sitting with Anya and the others.

‘So that’s where she went.’ Buffy thought, hurt.

Buffy was startled when Angel waved his hand in her face.

“Listen, I was wondering if you needed a ride home after school?”

“Um, I have something to do after school. Maybe another time?”

“That’s ok. Maybe you could meet me at the Bronze tonight instead?” Angel asked.

“Ok. See you at seven?”

“Sure thing. See you tonight.” Angel replied, leaving the table.

“Oh my gosh! He asked you out again!” Harmony squealed.

Buffy rolled her eyes.

“We’re just going to the Bronze. It’s no big deal.” Buffy said.

“Excuse me, it is a big deal. He’s the most popular guy in school. Do you realize how this will boost your reputation?” Cordelia snapped.

“Cordelia, I don’t care!” Buffy yelled, leaving them sitting there.

Harmony and Cordelia stared after Buffy, mouths hung open.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“So you’re going to be staying at the Summers’ household now?” Jesse asked Fred.

“Yeah.” Fred answered, blushing and looking down.

Anya rolled her eyes. Xander jabbed her in the side.

“What?” she hissed.

“She’s new. Be nice.” Xander whispered.

“I’m trying to, but she won’t say a word. It’s all monosyllabic.” Anya huffed.

“I told you, she’s new. She’s just shy. You were new once.”

“Fine. So, Fred, did you have a boyfriend in LA?” Anya asked.

Fred looked at Anya startled.

“Uh, n-no.”, she answered, blushing even more.

“That sucks. No orgasms.” Anya said.

Fred choked on her drink, sending her into a coughing fit. Jesse grimaced, and patted her back, while the others stifled their laughter.

“I think I’m going to go now.” Fred told them, standing up.

“Oh, you don’t have to leave.” Willow said, looking nervous.

“It’s ok. I’m just going to go get my books before class starts.” Fred answered, walking away.

“Oh man. You don’t think she hates us now?” Willow asked the others.

“Nah. She was just embarrassed.” Xander said, looking directly at Anya.

“Embarrassed by what?” Anya asked.

“Your lack of tact, for starters.” Jesse said, smirking.

“Whatever. I was just trying to make conversation.” Anya said.

“Hey, where’s the bleached wonder?” Xander asked.

“Smoke break.” Oz answered simply.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy stomped out of the cafeteria and into the hallway, heading for her locker. As she turned the corner, she slammed into Spike, sending him flying into the middle of the hallway with her lying on top of him. Buffy sat up to see who she had hit, and drowned in two sapphire eyes.

Buffy stared at Spike, a little stunned.

“If we’re going to keep meeting like this, we should schedule an appointment so I can be ready.” Spike told her, smirking.

‘Wow, look at those eyes. And those lips. Very kissable. Wait, Bad Buffy!’

Buffy did not reply, so Spike waved his hand in her face.

“You still in there, luv?”

Buffy blinked and shook her head.

“Uh, what?”

“Are you alright, pet?” Spike asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” she answered, shrugging.

“Then why are you still on top of me? Not that I’m complaining or anything.”

Suddenly, Buffy realized their position and scrambled off of him, blushing furiously.

Spike chuckled and stood up, helping her to her feet. Just as Buffy was standing up, she tripped over her purse, falling into Spike again. This time Spike caught her, and stumbled back a few feet against the row of lockers. Stunned, they stood there for a moment, Buffy pressed against Spike, his arms wrapped around her.

‘This is really nice.’ Buffy thought.

‘If I had known this would be the way to get her in my arms, I would have tripped her myself a long time ago.’ Spike thought.

Buffy was the first to move. She looked up at Spike, who was looking down at her. Buffy barely had time to think when Spike moved his head toward hers.