Chapter 6


Spike moved his head towards Buffy. Just as their lips touched, the bell rang, and students began to fill the hall. Buffy jerked out of Spike’s arms, and quickly ran into the bathroom across the hall.

Spike stood there, breathing hard. He finally pushed himself away from the lockers and started to walk away when something caught his eye. Buffy’s purse was lying on the floor a few feet away. Spike walked over and picked it up, and put it in his locker.

‘Give me an excuse to see her again.’ Spike thought, smiling.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy stood in the bathroom, leaning over the sink.

‘Oh my God, Oh my God! I almost kissed him! Spike’s Lips! Lips of Spike!’ she thought, looking at her flushed face in the mirror.

She bent over the sink and splashed cold water on her face. As she was drying her face, she noticed a pair of sandals in a stall behind her.

‘I know those shoes’; she thought as she walked over and tapped on the door.

“Fred?”

The stall door opened, revealing Fred standing behind the door.

“Hi.”

“Are you ok?” Buffy asked.

“Oh yeah. I’m fine.” Fred answered giggling nervously.

“Then why are you hiding in the stall?”

Fred shrugged, playing with the straps on her dress.

“I saw you sitting with Anya and the others at lunch today.” Buffy said.

“Yeah. I got lost on my way from Physics, and I saw Anya so I asked her where the cafeteria was. And then I couldn’t find you, so I sat down with them. I don’t think they like me very much.” Fred said, quickly.

“Is that why you were hiding in the stall?” Buffy asked.

“That’s part of it. And my feet hurt.” Fred answered, nodding toward the shoes on the floor.

“I have some band aids if you want any. We should probably get to class anyway.” Buffy told her.

They walked out of the bathroom to Buffy’s locker. Buffy opened it, looking for her purse.

“Spike.” Buffy said, after her failed attempt to find her purse.

“What?” Fred asked.

“Oh, uh, I ran into Spike, literally, and I must have dropped my purse. Maybe he has it.” Buffy told her.

“Oh. Is he the guy with the black coat?” Fred asked.

“Yeah. Black coat, bleached hair, beautiful blue eyes, a nice hard chest,” Buffy began, but stopped at Fred’s raised eyebrow.

“And we should be going to class now.” Buffy said quickly, walking away.

Fred smiled and shook her head, following Buffy down the hall.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy and Fred walked into the house after school.

“Mom! We’re home!” Buffy yelled.

After no answer, Buffy yelled again.

“Mom!”

They walked into the kitchen.

“Maybe she went out.” Buffy said, opening the refrigerator.

“Um, Buffy. Here.” Fred said, handing Buffy a note.

Girls,

I have to go to LA for a few days. I’ll be back this weekend. There’s money for food on the counter.

Love, Mom

Buffy set the note on the counter.

“Well, I guess that means we’re eating pizza tonight.” Buffy told Fred.

“Alright.” Fred answered, through bites of donut.

“Idiot!” Buffy yelled.

Fred jumped, dropping her donut on the floor.

“Not you. Me. I totally forgot that I have a date tonight.” Buffy said.

“Oh. Well, I can stay here by myself. I’m used to it.” Fred said.

“Oh no, Fred. You can come too. I’m sure Angel won’t mind.”

“No. I’ll just stay here. I have a lot of work to catch up anyway. You go.” Fred said.

“Ok.” Buffy said.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Two hours later, the phone rang. Buffy picked it up.

“Hello?”

“Buffy? It’s Angel. Listen, I won’t be able to pick you up tonight. Do you think you could meet me at the Bronze instead?” Angel asked.

“Sure.” Buffy answered.

“Alright. See you then.”

“Bye.” Buffy said to the tone on the other end.

“Ok. Weird.”

Buffy turned to go upstairs when the doorbell rang. Buffy sighed, and went over to the door, opening it.

“Hi Buffy!” Harmony chirped. Cordelia just stared at her.

“Harmony! And Cordelia! What are you guys doing here?” Buffy asked.

“We came to see if you needed any help getting ready for your date.” Cordelia said calmly.

Cordelia stepped in, Harmony right behind her.

“So, when is he picking you up?” Harmony asked.

“Well, he’s not going to.” Buffy told her.

“What?” Cordelia asked.

“He called right before you got here and said he wouldn’t be able to pick me up, but asked for me to meet him there.” Buffy said.

“Oh. Well, we can’t take my car. Daddy’s getting it detailed.” Cordelia told her.

“We can walk.” Buffy shrugged.

“Are you kidding? We don’t walk.” Cordelia stated.

“Then what do you suggest we do?” Buffy asked a little annoyed.

“When did your mom leave?” Harmony asked, walking out of the kitchen.

“A little while ago.” Buffy answered, and then turned back to Cordelia.

“How long will she be gone?” Harmony asked.

“Until this weekend.” Buffy answered.

Harmony nodded, looking at her nails. Buffy turned back to Cordelia.

“We can always take a-“

“Wait. You said your mom wouldn’t be back until this weekend. We can take her car.” Cordelia said, smiling.

“What? No, we can’t"- Buffy started.

“Yes, we can. Your mom isn’t here. No one will know.”

“What about Anya? She’ll know. She’ll tell. You know she can’t keep a secret.” Buffy said.

“Buffy, don’t worry about it. Let’s get ready to go.” Cordelia said, heading upstairs.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Later, Buffy was standing outside in front of her mom’s car. Cordelia and Harmony walked past her, and got into the car.

“Come on, Buffy.” Cordelia said, shutting the door.

Buffy sighed, and got in the car.

“Maybe we shouldn’t do this. I don’t have my license with me-“

“Buffy! Let’s go!” Cordelia yelled.

‘What could it hurt?’ Buffy thought as she started the car and left.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy parked in front of the Bronze. The girls got out and headed toward the entrance.

Buffy saw Angel sitting at a table with some of his friends. She headed towards him.

“Hey Angel.”

Angel looked at her, a little startled.

“Oh, hey Buffy.”

They stood in silence for a moment.

“Um, Buffy? Could we talk? Upstairs.” Angel asked.

“Ok.” Buffy answered.

They went upstairs and stood next to the railing.

“So.” Buffy said.

“It’s about us. We shouldn’t really see each other anymore. I don’t think I could ever have a relationship with you.” Angel stated.

Buffy’s mouth opened in shock.

Buffy thought.

“Ok.”, she finally answered.

“Look, it’s not you. It’s me.” Angel said, starting to pace.

“Are you ok? You wanna talk?” Buffy asked.

Angel paced for a minute before finally speaking.

“It’s just-I’m in love with someone else. She doesn’t go here. She lives across town.”

“Oh.” Buffy said.

“And she’s pregnant with my baby.” Angel added, still pacing.

“Ohhh. Congratulations?” Buffy said, carefully.

“I know. Exciting, huh? I can’t wait to be a dad.” Angel said, stopping in front of Buffy.

“You understand now, right? Why we can’t be together?” Angel asked.

“Oh, yeah. Completely.” Buffy answered.

Truthfully, she was relieved she did not have to pretend to want to date Angel anymore. Since the incident earlier that day, she had her eyes on a certain bleached blonde.

“Ok?”

Buffy glanced at Angel.

“Sorry, what?”

“I said that I think we should still be friends.”

“Sure. So, I’m just gonna head back down now.” Buffy said, turning to leave.

“Whoever he is, he’s a really lucky guy.”

Buffy stopped, and turned.

“What?”

“It is a guy, right? The reason for your intense thoughts?” Angel asked.

“How did you know I was thinking about a guy? I-I could have been thinking about something else, like, uh, math.” Buffy asked, smiling a little.

Angel smiled at her before walking past her.

“It’s a guy thing.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Spike walked into the Bronze and headed towards his friends sitting on the sofas.

“Hey.”, he said.

“Hi Spike.” Jesse greeted him.

“What’s up?” Xander asked.

“Nothing really. Where are the girls?” Spike asked.

“Bathroom.” Oz stated.

Spike nodded.

“So, have any of you seen Buffy?” he asked.

“No. Not since school. Why?” Xander answered.

“I, uh, have her purse.” Spike said, taking Buffy’s purse from under his coat and placing it on the table.

“Why do you have her purse?” Jesse asked, leaning forward to examine it.

“She dropped it today. I was going to give it back to her.”

Xander leaned forward also, and poked it.

“Have you looked inside of it?” Xander asked, poking it again.

“No. It’s her purse. It’s private.” Spike answered.

“Yeah. It’s, like, a woman’s secret source of power. There are many dark and dangerous things in there that men should never know about.” Oz said.

Jesse sat back a little, before falling forward, knocking the purse onto the floor.

“Oops. Oh, I’m sorry. Damn, we should clean that up.” Jesse said, kneeling to look at the spilled contents. Xander leaned over also, while Spike picked it up.

“Leave it alone.” Spike told them, annoyed.

“What? It fell.” Jesse said innocently.

“What fell?” Anya asked, standing behind Spike.

“Buffy’s purse.” Jesse said.

“Who has Buffy’s purse?” Willow asked.

“Spike.” Xander said.

“Why do you have my sister’s purse?” Anya asked a little annoyed.

“She dropped it, alright! I was going to give it back to her.” Spike said.

“Hi Buffy.” Willow said.

Spike jumped, unintentionally clutching the purse to him causing Buffy to smirk.

“That color really matches your coat.” Buffy said, smiling a little more.

Spike looked down at the purse. He straightened up and shoved it toward Buffy.

“You dropped this today.” he said.

Buffy smiled again and took the purse from him. They stood awkwardly in silence for a moment, the others staring intently. Buffy finally spoke.

“Thanks.”

Spike nodded.

“No problem, luv.”

“I guess I should go.” Buffy said.

“So, are we scheduled for tomorrow, then?” Spike asked.

“Huh?” Buffy asked, looking confused.

“You know, for the next time you’ll run into me."

“Oh. I guess.” Buffy answered, smiling.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy searched the crowd of teens for Harmony and Cordelia. She finally spotted them talking to a group of guys.

Buffy pulled Cordelia to the side.

“Let’s go.”

“What? No way. It’s early.” Cordelia said.

“Do you want to walk home?” Buffy asked.

Cordelia stared at her for a moment.

“Harm! Let’s go!” Cordelia yelled.

The girls went outside and got into the car. Buffy started the car and left.

As Buffy neared Revello Drive, a cat jumped out from a bush into the road.

“Look out!” Harmony yelled.

Buffy slammed on the brakes and swerved, missing the cat, and headed right into a nearby tree.