Chapter 7


Buffy looked up from her spot in the drivers seat. Luckily, she was not going too fast, and was able to slow down enough to keep everyone safe. She looked over at Cordelia, who was staring at the tree. Harmony sat in the back, unharmed by the accident.

“Are you guys alright?” Buffy asked, unbuckling her seat belt.

“I broke a nail. And I just got these done yesterday!” Harmony whined.

Buffy looked at Cordelia, who was still staring ahead.

“Cordy? Are you ok?”

Cordelia slowly turned her head towards Buffy.

“Ok? Ok? You almost got us killed!” Cordelia yelled.

“I’m sorry, Cordy.”

“You better be.” Cordelia said, throwing the door open, and getting out.

Harmony and Buffy got out also, walking over to Cordelia, who was standing behind the car.

“We should call someone to come help us.” Buffy said.

“Come help you, maybe. I’m leaving!” Cordelia told her.

“Me too.” Harmony said, nodding.

“What? You guys can’t leave me here alone! I hardly know where I am!” Buffy yelled, on the verge of tears.

“Oh honey, you’re on Oak Street, a block away from my house.” Cordelia told her, starting to walk away.

“Cordelia!” Buffy yelled.

Cordelia whirled around and glared at Buffy.

“It’s your accident! You take care of it! I’m going home, and don’t bother to follow me. Come on, Harm.”

Cordelia and Harmony walked away, leaving Buffy alone on the dark street.

“That’s just great. Really great. Now what am I gonna do.” Buffy said to the empty street.

Buffy went around to the front of the car to survey the damage. The hood had a dent, and the bumper was almost completely torn off. Buffy shook her head and sighed.

“Oh yeah. I’m dead.”

Buffy took her cell phone out of her purse. She had forgotten that it had been turned on, and had been in her purse all day. She cursed when the phone died.

“Damn!”

She began to walk slowly down the street, looking for the nearest house.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Spike had left the Bronze early, and was now driving around town. He turned the radio on, and began to sing along.

“I wanna be sedated!”

He tapped the steering wheel to the beat of the music. He turned down another street. He saw a girl walking along the road, and slowed down to see if she needed any help. He stopped the car and got out heading towards the girl.

Buffy had been walking for about five minutes when she saw the car stop. A figure got out, and she saw it was a man. Buffy started shaking a little when he headed towards her.

‘Oh God. I’m gonna die. He's getting closer.’

Buffy had stopped walking and was slowly starting to panic.

Spike watched the girl as she stopped. He could tell she was nervous, so he yelled to her before he got any closer.

“Do you need any help?”

Buffy’s head shot up at the voice.

“Spike?”

Spike stopped walking when he heard her speak.

“Yeah, luv.”

Buffy felt a little safer, and walked over to him.

“Hi.”

“”Hi to you, pet. May I ask why you’re walking down a dark street by yourself?”

“I had an accident. Cordelia and Harmony left me. And my cell phone is dead.” Buffy told him, and then added quietly, “Bitches.”

Spike chuckled at that.

“Where’s your car?”

“Down the road, a little way.” she answered, looking in the other direction.

“Well, I have a friend whose father owns a mechanic shop. I’m sure he could get you a tow truck.” Spike told her.

“That would be very helpful.”

“Come on, you should sit in my car. I’ve got a cell in there, I’ll call from here, and we’ll wait.”

They headed toward the DeSoto, and Spike opened the door for Buffy. She got in, and Spike went to the other side and got in, reaching for the phone on his dash. He dialed a number, and talked for a few minutes, before hanging up.

“Jesse will be here in a few minutes with the truck.”

Buffy nodded quietly, and stared at the floor.

Spike started the car, and drove down the road and stopped when he saw a car smashed into a tree. He pulled over and stopped, getting out when he saw Jesse pull up.

“Hey man. Thanks for coming.” Spike told him.

They walked to the front of the car, and Jesse whistled when he saw it.

“Who did this?” Jesse asked.

“It’s Buffy’s mum’s car.”

Jesse looked at Spike.

“Serves her right.”

“Hey, I know you have issues, but please just do this.” Spike said, sighing.

“Fine. But just so you know, I’m only doing this because of you.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

Jesse took the car to the garage next to his house, and Spike and Buffy followed. They got out, and went inside.

“It doesn’t look too bad.” Spike told her.

Buffy looked at him, eyes wide.

“Are you kidding? You probably won’t see me at school anymore, cuz I’ll be dead! My mom is going to freak!” Buffy said.

“Your mum is nice. It won’t be that bad.” Spike said, trying to calm her down.

She turned around to look at the car again and sighed. Spike noticed the cut on her cheek.

“You have a cut, luv.” he told her.

“What? Where?” Buffy asked.

“On your cheek, right here.” Spike told her, lightly touching her face. “You should get that bandaged.”

“Oh, uh, I think I have some band aids in my purse.” she answered, rummaging in her bag, and pulling out a small tin.

“Here’s some alcohol.”

“You keep alcohol and cotton balls in your car?” Buffy asked.

“I get into a few fights every now and then.” Spike answered, smiling.

Spike took the cotton ball, and dabbed Buffy’s cheek.

“Ow.” Buffy winced.

“Sorry, luv.”

Spike finished cleaning her cut and took a bandage and placed it over the cut.

“All done.” Spike told her, his fingers resting lightly on her cheek.

“Thanks.” Buffy replied, liking the way his fingers lingered on her face.

Jesse walked up behind them and coughed. Spike took his hand away from Buffy’s face, and they turned to Jesse.

“I’ve looked at the damage, and made an estimate of your bill according to what dad charges.” Jesse said.

“Oh, thanks-“

Jesse cut Buffy off and continued. “Anyway, you’ll need to have the bumper replaced, and the dent taken out of the hood.”

He handed her a paper, and walked over to the other side of the garage.

“Don’t mind him. He’s naturally cranky.” Spike told her, chuckling.

“I heard that!” Jesse said from across the room.

Spike started to walk over to Jesse when he heard Buffy yell.

“A thousand dollars? That’s ridiculous!”

Spike walked back over to where she stood, examining the paper. Jesse got up and walked over as well.

Buffy looked at him and glared.

“It can’t be that much. You’re doing this because of me.”

Jesse shook his head.

“You can look at my dad’s books. It’s right.”

“It can’t be. How am I going to pay for this?” Buffy asked, waving the paper.

“Well, for starters, you can go beg your mommy for the money.” Jesse retorted.

“Hey, that’s enough, mate.” Spike said, stepping next to Jesse.

“It’s my mom’s car! She’ll be so pissed!” Buffy yelled.

Jesse was about to reply when Spike grabbed his arm.

“Let’s go have a quick talk.”

Buffy watched them walk across the room and whisper. Then she looked at the bill again and felt tears come to her eyes.

Meanwhile, Spike glared at Jesse.

“Why can’t you cut her some slack?” Spike asked.

“I’m billing her like we bill all of the customers. Why should she be any different?”

“Well, can’t you do something?” Spike asked, running his hands through his hair.

“I am doing something. I’m fixing her car. The bill stays. If you care so much, why don’t you fix it for her?” Jesse said, walking away.

Spike thought a while before he went back over to Buffy.

“Hey. Sorry about him.”

Buffy looked at Spike.

“It’s ok. He has reason to hate me.” Buffy answered quietly.

“I have an idea.”

Buffy looked up at Spike.

“Oh?”

Spike nodded.

“What if I fix the car?”

“Ok.” Buffy answered slowly. “What would I owe you?”

“Uh, I don’t want money.” Spike said.

Buffy looked at Spike, eyes wide.

“What? I’m not sleeping with you, if that’s what you mean.” Buffy yelled.

“No! I didn’t mean that, luv.”

“Oh. Then what did you mean?” Buffy asked, embarrassed by her outburst.

“Well, if I fix the car for you, at no charge, I want to you to go out with me.”

“Oh, a date? We could do that.” Buffy said.

“No, luv. Not a date. As my girlfriend.”