Chapter 8


Buffy stared at Spike, eyes wide and mouth hanging open.

‘Girlfriend? Oh my God! His girlfriend! I could be his girlfriend! He likes me. I thought he hated me.’

Before Buffy got too lost in her thoughts, Spike interrupted her.

“Buffy? Did you hear what I said?”

Buffy shook her head slightly and looked up at Spike.

“Yeah. How long?”

“What?” Spike asked, confused.

“How long will we date? A week, two weeks?” Buffy asked.

“Uh, I hadn’t really thought about that.” Spike said sheepishly.

“Ok.” Buffy said slowly.

They stood in silence for a moment.

“Two weeks.” Spike said suddenly.

“Huh?”

“We date for two weeks, then we can break up.” Spike explained, hoping she would say yes.

“Two weeks from today?” Buffy asked, a funny look on her face.

“Uh, yeah, if you want to get technical about it.”

Buffy rolled her eyes.

“Well, according to my calculations that will be the night of the Prom.”

“Oh. Well, I guess I’ll be going with the Prom Queen then.” Spike said, smirking a little.

“Don’t call me that.” Buffy said quietly.

“Alright then.”

“No.” Buffy said.

“Would you please stop talking like that! You confuse me.” Spike said.

“No.” Buffy said again.

Suddenly, Spike understood what she meant.

“Fine.” Spike said, quietly.

“Wait! I mean-ugh- just let me think about it, ok?” Buffy asked.

“Alright, luv.” Spike said, the little hope he had with her growing a bit bigger.

“Can you take me home?” Buffy asked.

“Sure, pet.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After a very awkward ride home, Buffy walked into her house a little after midnight. Everything was quiet. She went upstairs, peeking into Anya’s bedroom, sighing after seeing that it was empty. She heard music coming from Fred’s room, and knocked on the door. She chuckled when she heard a yelp and a thump. Finally, Fred opened the door looking flustered.

“Buffy! You scared me!” Fred told her, smoothing back her hair.

“Were you hanging from the ceiling or something?” Buffy asked, smiling.

“What?” Fred asked, confused.

“I was just wondering what the thump was.”

“Oh. I fell off my bed. You scared me, remember?” Fred told her, smiling.

“I’m sorry. Didn’t mean to scare you.”

“It’s ok. I’m just not used to people knocking on my door.”

Buffy nodded and looked down at her feet. Fred tilted her head to the side.

“Are you alright?”, she asked.

“Uh, yeah. I just have a lot on my mind.”

“Oh. Do you want to talk about anything?” Fred asked.

“I’m alright, really. I was just checking on you before I went to bed.”

Fred looked a little upset, but tried not to show it.

“Ok then. Good night.”, she said, softly closing the door.

“Good night.” Buffy answered.

Buffy stood there a moment, staring at Fred’s door. She knocked on it again, and Fred opened the door.

“Didn’t get me that time.” Fred said, smiling.

“I wrecked mom’s car.” Buffy said suddenly.

Fred smile faded.

“Ok.”

Buffy walked into the room and started pacing. Fred walked over to the bed and sat down, watching Buffy as she paced. She jumped a little, when Buffy spoke again.

“And Cordelia and Harmony left me. They left me, right there, on an empty, dark street. Do you have any idea how freaked I was?”

“A lot?” Fred said tentatively.

“Hell yes! I was scared to death! And to make matters worse, my cell phone was dead, because Spike had it.”

“Spike had your phone?” Fred asked, trying to keep up.

“Yes, Spike had it. It was in my purse, which he had also. And you know what? I gave Cordelia and Harmony a ride to the Bronze, and they don’t even have the decency to say thanks. Or at least let me use their cell phone to get help. They didn’t even wish me a happy birthday!”

“Are we still talking about the accident?” Fred asked.

“I mean, they’re supposed to be my friends, right? Anya’s friends are nicer to me than my supposed friends are. And Spike, don’t even get me started on Spike.”

“Ok, I won’t ask you about Spike.” Fred said.

“Good. Cos I don’t wanna talk about him.”

“Ok, no Spike.” Fred said, smiling.

“Spike!” Buffy yelled, causing Fred to jump.

“He helped me. He called for help, and picked me up. And then his friend Jesse gave me an estimate for a thousand dollars. A thousand dollars for a bumper and a dent! And you know what Spike did?”

Fred shook her head, eyes wide.

“He offered to fix my car for free. Free!”

“That was nice of him.” Fred stated.

Buffy stopped pacing and joined Fred on the bed.

“But he said he would do it if I would be his girlfriend until after Prom.”, she told Fred quietly.

“Oh.”

“If I don’t accept, I’ll have to either come up with a thousand dollars before mom comes home, or wait and tell mom and be grounded for the rest of my high school career.”

“And if you accept?” Fred asked.

“And if I accept, I will be the joke of the school. Me dating a so called loser? And you know what’s really weird? I don’t think I care.”

They sat in silence for a moment, until Fred spoke up.

“Do-do you like him?”

Buffy chewed her lip for a moment, pondering the question.

“I’m not sure. I think I do, but sometimes he can be so annoying.”

“So, are you leaning toward yes?”

“Pretty much. Do you think I should accept the offer?”

“It’s not for me to decide for you, Buffy. But I will say, he is really cute.” Fred replied, smiling.

“Yeah, he is isn’t he.” Buffy said dreamily. “He has these really gorgeous eyes and cheekbones, and he has this adorable smirk. And when he leans over to pick up his bookbag, you can see the way his muscles ripple and, um-“ Buffy stopped talking at Fred’s raised eyebrow and slight smile.

“And I’m going to bed now. Good night.” Buffy said, blushing and quickly leaving the room.

Fred watched Buffy leave the room, and followed her, closing the door, and chuckled.

“And people say I have problems.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

By the next morning, Buffy had made her decision. She got up and took a shower, returning to her room to get dressed. She put on a short denim skirt, a pink halter, and pink flip-flops. She put on some light makeup, and left her hair down.

She headed downstairs to the kitchen where Fred was eating a bowl of cereal.

“Good morning Buffy. Feeling better?”, Fred asked.

“Well, I’ve made a decision. I’ll talk to Spike when I get to school.” Buffy replied, eating a banana.

They finished their breakfast, and left for school.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Spike walked out onto the quad, and went over to the gang.

“Hey Spike.” Willow greeted.

“Hey Red.”

Spike leaned against the tree, staring out over the quad.

“Whatcha looking for?” Willow asked.

“More like who.” Jesse said, looking directly at Spike.

“What’s he mean?”, asked Xander.

“It’s nothing. I’ll tell you guys later.” Spike said, not wanting to talk about the Buffy situation right then.

“Ok.” Xander replied, smirking.
”I wonder what he’s gonna tell us.” Anya said, in what she thought was a whisper.

“I don’t know. He’ll tell us when he feels like it. Besides, it’s probably a guy thing that we’re not supposed to hear anyway.” Willow told her.

Spike rolled his eyes at their ‘whispered’ conversation, and continued to watch the students coming onto the quad.

“It’s probably about sex.” Anya ‘whispered’ again.

“Like I said, I don’t wanna know.” Willow said, making a face.

Spike looked at the girls.

“Bloody hell! I’m standing right here!”

Willow’s eyes went wide, and she blushed. Anya just shrugged. Xander coughed. Spike’s eyebrow shot up at Xander’s sudden cough. Jesse snickered. Xander shrugged, an amused look on his face, while Oz sat by, stoic as ever.

*Cough* “Buffy.” *Cough*

Spike turned his head and glared at Xander. Xander looked around innocently, and Jesse snickered again.

“Oh.” Anya said, slowly.

“Bloody hell! I need a smoke. See you lot later.” Spike told them, stalking away.

Willow watched as he left. She smacked Xander in the chest.

“Ow!”, he yelled, rubbing his chest.

“Look what you did! Now he’s gonna be grrr all day.” Willow said.

“He’ll get over it.” Jesse told her.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Spike stalked into the school, heading for his locker. He hadn’t seen Buffy, and he was beginning to doubt her response.

Buffy walked toward her locker with Fred. She saw Cordelia and Harmony on the quad as she walked by, but she didn’t stop. She had seen Anya and the others, but no sign of Spike. As they walked down the somewhat empty hallway, Fred grabbed Buffy’s arm.

“What?” Buffy asked.

“Look.” Fred said simply, looking down the hallway.

Buffy looked up and saw Spike standing at his locker, which happened to be next to hers. Buffy stopped walking and looked at Fred.

“I guess this is it.” Buffy told her.

“Go ahead. I’ll see you in class.” Fred replied, walking away.

Buffy sighed, and looked at Spike.

‘It’s now or never.’

Buffy walked over to her locker, opening it. She fiddled with her books.

Spike saw Buffy standing next to him, and he shut his locker door. He leaned against it, watching her.

‘I wonder if she forgot.’, he thought.

Buffy looked over at Spike.

“Hi.”, she said.

“Hello, luv.”

Then there was a moment, one with the awkward silence, each pondering what to say next.

“Well, I have-“

“Have you-“

They spoke at the same time.

“You go first.” Spike told her.

“Ok. Um, I’ve made a decision.”