Awakening slowly Buffy cringed at the ultra bright sunlight shining into the room and slid from the bed to stumble toward the bathroom.

She re-emerged a few minutes later wearing the silky satin black robe that had been hanging in the small room and, stifling a yawn, made her way over to the bags she still hadn’t unpacked to pick out clothing for her and Spike both.

“Don’t know why you’re bothering, pet,” her loved said from the bed and she turned to see him propped up against the headboard watching her. “I have my way we won’t be needing clothes for a week or two.”

“A week or two?” she moved to his side and gave him a kiss. “Ah,” she pulled back with a slight frown, “you’ve got morning breath.”

“First you complained about my blood breath and now your scrunching up your cute little nose and call it morning breath, a fella just can’t win breathing around you,” he hauled her back into the bed and kissed her deeply despite said morning breath.

“Go brush your teeth,” she ordered after they broke apart. “You’ve probably got other things to take care of while you’re in there,” she gave him a look that said she really didn’t want to think of him dealing with the calls of nature.

“Again with the scrunching of the nose,” he smiled and flicked the tip of her nose with a finger before rising from the bed to stretch and scratch around his belly button.

She laid there admiring the sunlight touching on his skin and sighed happily at the realization that he’d be safe from those rays now without having to worry about turning into a big pile of dust from the exposure.

“Oh, you can even tan,” she thought aloud causing Spike to pause just outside the bathroom.

“What was that?” he asked with a look over his shoulder.

“Just thinking aloud,” she gave him an innocent smile and waved him on into the bathroom.

Once he was shut in the other room she hopped back up went back to getting them clothes to venture out of the room at some point during the day for food and to check up on Dawn.

In the shopping bag containing the black leather pants she was wanting to wear herself she found the desired garment as well as the infamous amulet that her lover was now bound to. Distracted by the find she took the necklace in hand and sat down on the edge of the bed studying it.

As it had the first moment she had seen it dangling from Angel’s hand, the item looked perfectly harmless. She knew from still painful experience that it was anything but that.

She stared at the sunlight touching the crystal and silver of the pendant and closed her eyes on the memory of it hanging against Spike’s chest and shooting the sun’s rays out into the Hellmouth to destroy the evil place and take him down with it.

The bed sank next to her and arms wrapped around her while gentle hands pressed her face against bare chest and it was only when Spike began rocking her gently that she realized she was sobbing at the memory.

“I’m here, baby,” he assured her firmly his hands moving over her back and his face pressed into her hair. “It’s all over and I’m here. You won’t ever get rid of me again.”

Unable to speak she just wrapped her arms around him and cried until the reality of his heart beating under her ear and his body warming hers sank end, making her forget what she was crying about in favor of just savoring the feel of him holding her.

“Better now?” he gave her a squeeze and dropped a kiss on the top of her head.

She nodded then pulled away with a smile to dry her face on the blanket he was offering her.

“Just … seeing that,” she glanced at the necklace she’d dropped on the mattress at some point, “it brought all the bad back.”

“Don’t exactly give me a happy to see it, either, but it did bring me back,” he picked the slightly heavy item up by its chunky silver chain.

“It took you away from me,” she said quietly.

“Never easy saving the world. You know that, pet,” he tossed the amulet aside and took her face in his hands. “We both sacrificed ourselves to do it and something brought us back. Something more than Red’s magic and some hocus pocus with that bauble.”

“Love conquers all,” she turned her head left and right to kiss his palms.

“I was trying for something a bit less corny, but if you insist that’ll do,” he kissed her lightly and tried to lower her back onto the mattress for a nice afternoon tumble.

“Mmm, Spike,” she pulled back when he pushed the robe off her shoulders and began kissing down her chest. “We don’t have time for this.”

“Course we have time for it,” he protested as she tried to wriggle out from under him.

“We need to check on Dawn and eat something,” Buffy argued and slid from the bed.

“I’ve got something for you if you’re feeling peckish, pet,” he leered at her while reclining on the bed, comfortable in his nudity.

“Uh-huh,” she rolled her eyes at him and tossed some clean clothes his way. “I need something more substantial,” she turned away to get her own clothes and hide her smile, “to eat today.”

“I’ll give you substantial,” he growled from behind her before tossing her onto the bed and joining her there.

“Spike, I’m serious, we’ve got to get ready,” she protested weakly then inspiration struck. “We need to shower.”

“Shower, eh?” he smirked down at her. “I scrub your back …”

“And I’ll scrub yours,” they leapt from the bed and raced toward the bathroom.

~*~*~

“Would you behave?” Buffy playfully elbowed Spike as he stood behind her in the crowded elevator with his fingers slipping discreetly under the back of the skirt he’d talked her into wearing.

The warning glare she sent over her shoulder was met with a look of complete innocence and confusion as to what she was talking about.

They arrived at the floor Angel’s office was located and as she went to step out of the elevator Spike pinched the soft flesh of her butt as exposed by the thong she wore, causing her to squeak in surprise before spinning around and smacking his shoulder.

“Behave,” she ordered with a wag of her finger though the effect was spoiled by the smile and eye roll his continued look of utter innocence got from her.

“Yes, mum,” he promised with an unrepentant grin.

He moved up behind her, wrapped an arm around her waist and ushered her out of the elevator doors that one nice worker (obviously not one of the firm’s lawyers) had held open for them. As they exited the lift and began moving toward the CEO’s offices Spike dipped his head to her neck and nudged aside the scarf she was wearing to expose the vivid lovebite she was trying to hide from her ex-boyfriend.

“Stop that,” she pulled away and straightened the silky material to where it had been.

“Don’t see why you’re bothering,” her lover arched his scarred eyebrow, “he’s gonna smell me all over you, luv.”

“He’s gotta be used to that by now, but we don’t need to rub it in his face that we’ve been - ”

“Shagging our brains out in the bed and bathroom the poof gave you for your unexpected stay?” he interrupted.

“Let’s just go find out where Dawn is,” Buffy sighed and reluctantly approached Harmony’s desk.

“He’s free for the next hour, but in a really bad mood so enter at your own risk,” the blonde vampire informed them without looking up from her computer.

“Maybe I should go see him alone?” the slayer suggested upon hearing that.

“Not bloody likely,” Spike firmly ruled that option out and started toward the office.

The book that suddenly hit him in the back of his platinum blonde head surprised the couple completely and Buffy instantly whirled around looked for the guilty party and something to kill them with.

“Ha,” Harmony stood triumphantly at her desk as he ex rubbed at the injury. “Not so transparent now, are you?”

Without hesitation Buffy leapt at the vampire, tackling her to the floor behind her desk and reaching for a pencil to jab into the other blonde’s shriveled heart.

“Now now, luv,” Spike was quick to pull his girlfriend back, “I had that coming.”

“You’re protecting her?” the slayer jumped up off the whimpering secretary and stared at her lover incredulously.

“Not at all,” he assured her. “Stake her if you must. Just saying she didn’t mean any real harm by it,” his hand went to the lump forming at the back of his head. “Actually, that bloody hurt. Give me the pencil.”

“I already told you, Buffy, killing the employees is one of my perks and if anything I’m gonna promote the girl for what she did,” Angel stepped in suddenly to help the vampire up. “You may want to go hide somewhere for the rest of the day,” he told her quietly.

“I wouldn’t have dusted her,” Buffy pouted.

“I bloody would’ve,” Spike glared after the vampire who fled in compliance with her boss’s suggestion.

“What do you want?” Angel moved back toward his office, ignoring the couple as much as he could.

“Dawn’s not in her room,” the slayer said as they followed the vampire into the room.

“Willow and Harris have taken her out for the day,” Angel picked a piece of paper up off his desk and handed it to Buffy. “Those are the numbers you can reach them at.”

“Excellent,” Eve said as she strode calmly into the office behind them all and smiled at the trio before focusing on the vampire. “Have you asked them yet?”

“We’re not discussing that again,” he informed the woman with a warning glare.

“Asked them what?” Spike asked curiously.

“Really, Angel,” the assistant ignored the blonde and moved to stand before her boss, “what’s the harm in asking?”

“Do you want specific answers to that or hypotheticals?”

“Fine,” the brunette turned to the two blondes watching the byplay with a bit of interest. “Buffy, Spike, on behalf of Wolfram & Hart I would like to offer you both positions within the company.”

“You can’t do that,” Angel glared at the woman who smiled back at him.

“But I can and I just did,” she told him before looking back at the couple. “Interested?”

Buffy blinked at the woman looked at Angel who was staring back at her and mouthing the order to “say no” then looked at Spike.

Spike saw the other man’s frantic attempts to dissuade the slayer from expressing any kind of interest and smiled broadly.

“What kind of positions are we talking about, luv?” he moved forward and threw a casual arm around Eve’s shoulder. “And let’s not forget the details like salary, hours and benefits,” he gave her a look that said those three things had better be generous in his favor.

“Spike,” Angel all but growled.

“Now, Peaches,” the blonde man smirked at the vampire’s anger, “I’ve gotta think about these things. I’m not all vampy anymore so I’ve got to earn a living somehow to keep the missus happy,” he extended an arm toward Buffy and the slayer instantly slid under it.

“Missus?” the other man gulped.

“We don’t have a ring yet,” Buffy smiled and hugged her lover, “but we’re gonna pick one up today.”

“Ring?”

“Definitely. A big one, too,” Spike kissed the fingers of Buffy’s left hand and hid a smile at his former grandsire’s reactions. “Don’t want any guys thinking they can poach on my territory,” blue eyes glared over at brown ones for a moment. “Want the world to know she’s my wife.”

“Wife?” Angel croaked out.

“Not yet,” Buffy informed her ex. “We’ve got lots of arrangements to make first and we really should go find Dawn to include her in this. She’s gonna flip.”