Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for all of the awesome reviews! Chapter 4, titled "Another Go At Things", will be posted on Monday! Have a good weekend!:)
Spike went to work the next morning, giving a slight wave to Charles Gunn, the doorman and bodyguard at Not All Old Hat.

“Cordy told me you and your girl had a fight last night,” Gunn said.

“Yeah,” Spike mumbled, running a hand through his hair. “Her and I aren’t together anymore.” Gunn frowned.

“Sorry to hear that, man,” he replied. “I know you really liked her.” Spike nodded and walked inside, seeing his British friend Wesley walking around. “Hey.”

“Hey,” Wesley said, studying his friend. “You alright?”

“Buffy and I broke up last night,” Spike answered, sitting down on a chair. “She found out about the job.”

“And that you lied to her?” Wesley asked, and Spike nodded. “You knew she’d have to find out someday, Spike, and you knew her reaction wouldn’t be good the longer you kept lying to her.” He paused. “Why did you even bother lying to her in the first place?”

“I’ve already been over this with you,” Spike said, looking away. “She’s too good for me.”

“Fred’s too good for me, too, but we’re happily married,” Wesley said, crossing his arms. “We had a lot to work through because of this job, but if you really care about someone, you’ll make the effort to be sure everything turns out alright.” Wesley sat next to Spike. “If you love her, which I truly believe you do, you’ll go to her and do your best to get her back.”

“She doesn’t trust me, Wes,” Spike replied. “And I don’t blame her.”

“Then work your ass off to rebuild that level of trust,” his friend suggested. “She’s worth it to you, yes?” Spike nodded instantly. “Then you won’t give up just because you hit a snag in your relationship.”

“I know,” Spike said, standing up. “Thanks for the pep talk, coach.”

“That’d be a cool costume- a coach,” Wesley replied, standing up. “I could get a whistle and command women to do my bidding.” He paused and grinned. “I love it.” Spike chuckled as Wesley walked away, going towards a rack of costumes.

“So, broke up with Betty, eh?” Angel O’Toole asked, suddenly standing next to Spike, who faced the Irish man with an angry expression on his face.

“Her name’s Buffy, you wanker,” Spike said, crossing his arms. “And what’s it to you?”

“Cordy said she’s hot, so I thought maybe I’d call her up and give her a go,” Angel said, smirking when Spike growled.

“Don’t you go near her,” Spike said, taking a step closer to Angel. “Or you won’t have anything to rub against the women you dance for anymore.”

“That a threat, Willy?” Angel asked, tilting his head.

“What do you think?” Spike asked in a low tone. “I’ll cut off your precious shillelagh stick and shove it up your ass, you pillock.”

“Oh, you’re just jealous I stole your Union Jack g-string and hid it,” Angel replied, laughing.

“I want that back, by the way,” Spike said sharply. “It’s my lucky g-string.”

“Irishmen have luck, not Brits,” Angel said, walking away.

“Luck of the Irish, my ass,” Spike shot back, not caring if Angel heard him or not. “You poncy leprechaun.”

“Be careful what you say about the Irish,” a stripper named Doyle said as he walked past Spike. “Especially leprechauns. Every man wants a pot of gold.” Spike raised an eyebrow and watched him head into one of the dressing rooms.

‘What the hell does that mean?’ Spike thought, sighing. ‘I need to get out of this business.’ He turned and began walking towards Cordelia’s office.

* * * * *

“Spike, you’re one of the originals under my management,” Cordy said, looking at him as he sat across from her while she sat at her desk. “The only guy who has seniority over you is Rupert Giles.”

“And Ripper’s much more talented than I am,” Spike replied, noticing her shrug. “No?”

“You’re the best stripper I’ve got,” she said. “Angel’s your only competition, and he lacks quite a bit compared to you. Having you leave here would be devastating not only to the business, but to everyone around here. I don’t want to say you’re inspirational because that sounds weird, but the other guys here strive to be like you.”

“Because they want more money and stripping jobs,” he said, smirking. “I just don’t know if this is something I can continue to do. If I can’t live with it, how can I expect Buffy to?”

“You’d really give up this job for her?” she asked, and he nodded. “You’re a lot more whipped than I thought.”

“Not whipped- just in love,” he corrected, and she smiled.

“You’re one of the good ones, Spike,” she said. “And I guess if you really want to quit working here, I can allow it.” He grinned. “But on one condition.”

“And that is?” he asked, curious.

“You stay on until you get married to her,” Cordelia said, and he raised an eyebrow.

“That might not ever happen,” he replied. “And if I want to make things right again, I can’t keep this job.”

“If she loves you, the job won’t matter,” Cordy said. “The only things that will matter are if you love her, too, and if you’re honest with her.”

“I don’t know if I can agree to this, then,” he said, frowning.

“Wouldn’t you rather know she loves you for who you are than what you’re doing instead to appease her?” Cordelia asked. “It’s a sweet gesture, Spike, but she has to learn to accept things. You can’t change your whole life for a person, you know?”

“You can if you love them enough and it’s worth it,” he said. She sighed and nodded.

“Yes, I suppose that’s true,” she said. “But I really want you to think about this before you just tell me you’re quitting. If she can accept your job, then everything else will fall into place.”

“I hope you’re right,” he said, standing up.

“I’m always right,” she replied, grinning. “Now go be Prince Charming.” He nodded and left, going out to his car, while Cordelia stood up from her desk and watched him through the window. “I just wish I had a guy like that, too.”