Author's Chapter Notes:
Since I got an amazing amount of feedback for the last chapter and feel like rewarding you all, I decided to post today. I hope you like it!:)
Spike pulled up in front of the bookstore in town and walked in, seeing Buffy behind the counter, reading.

‘Just like when I first saw her,’ he thought, studying the pensive look on her face.

She looked up when she heard the door open and raised an eyebrow as he walked over to her, standing across from her on the other side of the counter.

“Hi,” she said quietly, folding the edge of the page she was reading before shutting the book. “How can I help you?” He cringed slightly at the formality of her tone before taking a deep breath.

“We need to talk, Buffy,” he said, putting one of his hands on hers. She pulled her hand away instantly and saw the hurt look on his face.

“Not here,” she replied. “I don’t want the public to know all of the details of our relationship’s demise.”

“It doesn’t have to be over, luv,” he said, and she shook her head, looking away. “Listen to me for a moment, pet, before you completely disregard me.” She looked at him, tilting her head. “My friend Wesley-”

“A fellow stripper?” she asked, cutting in, and he nodded. “Continue.”

“He got married last fall to a great woman named Winifred, better known as Fred,” Spike said, leaning on the counter. “She’s a kindergarten teacher at the local school who was completely against the idea of being with him because of his job.”

“Rightfully so,” Buffy said. “I’m sure people in town wouldn’t want their kids being taught by a woman dating a stripper.”

“Why?” Spike asked, frowning. “She’s not the one stripping, and if you knew her, you’d know she’s one of the sweetest and kindest women in the world, not the type of person you’d think was dating someone like me.” He paused. “She’s a lot like you, Buffy, so bear with me while I continue talking about this because it has a point.” She smiled slightly for a moment. “Wesley was afraid to tell her about his job because he thought she’d leave him, and I’ll admit, they had lots of arguments and disagreements about it, but they worked things out because they’re in love and wanted to be together.” She looked down. “I know I lied to you, Buffy, and I can never apologize enough for that, but I thought you’d leave me if I told you the truth, and I couldn’t handle that.”

“So you risked losing me nonetheless by lying to me?” she asked, and he clenched his jaw, looking away.

“I didn’t know what to do, alright?” he said. “I’ll admit I fucked up.” Her eyes widened as she quickly looked around the store, making sure there weren’t any little kids around.

“Don’t swear in here,” she hissed, and he raised his hands in surrender.

“Sorry,” he replied. “My point is that I’m sorry I lied to you, but I need you, Buffy, and I’ll spend the rest of my life trying to prove to you how worthy of a man I am and how much I love you.” Her expression softened slightly.

“I know you’re worthy of loving,” she said quietly. “But you have to understand that loving a person who lied to you isn’t as easy as it sounds. It takes a lot to rebuild that trust, you know.” He nodded, understanding. “I want to work things out- I really do- but I need to be absolutely sure that you won’t lie to me again about something so important.” She paused. “And that you trust me enough to tell me something like this.” He looked at her. “I wouldn’t have walked away from you because of your job, Spike. You really thought I wouldn’t even give you a chance if I knew you were a stripper?” He shrugged, putting his hands in his pockets. “It’s not like I’ve known male strippers in the past- all of my opinions of them are based on stereotypes. I would’ve enjoyed allowing you to prove my judgments wrong.” He smiled slightly. “You did a flawless job of lying to me, William.”

“Buffy-” he said, frowning, but she raised her hand to stop him.

“I can’t just say I’ll forgive you because it hurt that you lied,” she said, looking down and taking a deep breath. “But I’ll consider giving you a second chance.” His face lit up before he leaned over the counter and wrapped his arms around her in an awkward hug, the counter pressing into his abdomen. “Now, you should probably head out before someone hears us.” He backed off and nodded, heading to the door before stopping and turning around to face her.

“Would you like to accompany me to Anya and Andrew’s wedding?” he asked, and she raised an eyebrow. “He invited me the other night after the bachelorette party. He said we’re friends.”

“You’re friends with Andrew?” she asked, smirking. “You’ll have to tell me what happened sometime.” She giggled. “Did you dance for him, too?” He frowned and shot her a look. “Only kidding, I swear.”

“So, do you want to go with me?” he asked, sounding a little insecure.

“Sure, that sounds like fun,” she answered, and he grinned. “Are you going to his bachelor party tonight?”

“He mentioned it while we shared one of those onion things,” Spike said, and Buffy laughed. “What’s so funny?”

“He really must like you if he split one with you,” she said. “He doesn’t do that for just anyone.”

“Then why did he make a bunch for tonight?” he asked, and she shrugged, smiling.

“You really must be a friend, then,” she said, and he nodded, smirking. “Have fun, then.” He opened the door. “And I better not find out you were dancing for the guys.”

“Very funny, luv,” he said as he walked out the door. She smiled and opened her book up again.

‘He deserves another chance, doesn’t she?’ she thought, staring blankly at the page she left off on. ‘I care about him, need him, and I… I love him.’ She smiled and continued reading.