Chapter Two


Five heads shot up; mouths slightly agape as Spike strolled across the concrete floor, his boots smacking loudly against the hard surface. He stopped in front of Willow, speaking directly to her, ignoring the looks from the others. "So what is it then? Gonna tell me what that little phone call was really about?" He shoved his hands deep in his pockets, the cool demeanor beginning to slip as he witnessed the spark of worry flash in the witch's green eyes.

"Hey if it isn't my favorite Grateful Dead!" Faith threw a Cheshire grin his way as she leaned over Dawn who was staring speechlessly and stole a slice of orange from one of the bowls. "I was wondering when you were gonna pop by. I've been telling Willow for weeks that we needed reinforcements. I was expecting tall, dark, and brooding but I'll take blonde, dead, and sexy." She hopped back up on the makeshift island and tossed the piece of fruit into her mouth.

Xander’s spine straightened, anger blazing across his features, and distrust engrained in his stance. He flung down the knife he had been using swiftly and with deadly accuracy causing the long handle to stand straight up, the point buried deep in the wood. Faith whistled quietly, obviously impressed but Xander didn’t even hear her. His gaze ran over Spike sizing him up before turning to his best friend. "You invited him?" The words were drenched is loathing. "You don't think she’s been through enough because of him? You wanna see just how far you can push her before she snaps completely? Is that the plan here?"

Willow paled at the accusation, her past mistakes where Buffy was concerned still fresh in her mind. She silently sat on a nearby stool, her legs no longer capable of holding her. Her eyes wide and childlike as if a fairy tale had just been smashed. She opened her mouth to defend herself but the words would not come.

Kennedy noticing the quiet hurt on her lover’s face quickly stepped in. "Back off, Xander! I'm sure Willow has her reasons! And it's not like you’re doing anything to help Buffy." Xander withdrew as though he had been slapped, his heart stinging with hurt at the icy words flung at him. Willow touched Kennedy's hand, a simple connection, telling her to be careful. She softened a bit, her voice becoming warmer. "I didn't mean that. I know you've tried. We've all tried but it's not enough. Maybe Spike can reach her. Willow has her reasons for inviting him."

"That would be true." The red head nodded solemnly. "If I had invited him." Willow looked to Spike, eyes locking, both realizing secrets that were about to spill, the promises that had finally been shattered. "Except for the fact that I didn't. Invite him, that is."

Kennedy raised her eyebrows, sending a questioning glance to her girlfriend. "But if you didn't invite him who did?"

"Yeah." Xander stepped up, his protectiveness for Buffy fueling him. "How did you get here anyway? I thought you were all Bill Cosby and stuck in LA?"

“Yeah.” Faith piped up, brow furrowed. “How did you get here anyway? Not that I’m not happy to see a fellow reform student but-“ She stopped suddenly, cocking her head to look at Xander. “Bill Cosby?” She questioned sure she had missed a step somewhere.

She was obviously not the only one who had missed the connection. “Umm…” Kennedy scratched the back of her neck before a thought slammed into her head. “Jell-O! Didn’t he do all those commercials for Jell-0? Xander is saying that Spike is all soft like Jell-O since he is a ghost and therefore cannot work out...” She flayed helplessly before caving. “Pass.”

Faith shrugged. “I got nothing.”

Willow picked up the gauntlet. “All I can come up with is that cartoon he did.”

“I remember that.” Faith turned to Spike, eyes sparkling dangerously. “Fat Albert right?”

“Oi!” Offense shown in Spike’s face, his ego taking a blow. “Fat?! Jell-O?! You birds must have your wires crossed! Unless…” He opened his mouth, running his tongue over his human canines as he began to circle Xander slowly. “Unless that’s what the boy is trying to say.”

With a shake of his head and a roll of his eyes Xander ignored Spike’s unspoken threat and instead focused on his own wounded pride. “Bill Cosby! Ghost Dad! Pop culture movie of the late eighties!”

“Still drawing a big ol’ blank.” Willow replied with a small sad smile.

“Make mine a question mark.” Kennedy bit in.

“You girls really need to brush up on your eighties trivia.” Xander sulked, arms crossing over his chest. “In the movie he dies but he can’t stray to far from the kids. Sorta like how Casper here was leashed to LA.” He drew the comparison for them.

“Leashed?” Spike howled in protest. “Like a bloody dog?” He scoffed. “Like you’re really one to talk. I mean you’ve been the Slayer’s lackey for how many years now? Begging for scraps from her. Leashed, my arse!”

“Oh. Not your best joke.” Willow added helpfully.

“Ya know what, Harris? I’m bloody sick of all this name calling crap. You want a fight? I’ll give you a fight.” Spike continued to rant to himself as he took a step closer to his foe, invading his personal space.

But the invasive front seemed to go unnoticed by Xander, who instead threw a sharp glance the witch. “I think I got that when everyone missed the punch line.” He shot back, fingers in a steeple position at his lips, his whole body seeming to radiate anger and mistrust.

Willow had seen that move before. In another lifetime she had memorized every detail about Alexander Harris in a girlish fantasy. She knew it was something he did to try to calm himself, to keep his temper under wraps. A little late for that, she thought bitterly. “I wasn’t trying to-“

“Of course you weren’t, Will.” Sarcasm dripped from his lips like honey. “You don’t ever try to do anything. Or wait I’m sorry, it’s just me you never tried to help.”

“Hey.” Faith hopped down from her perch on the workbench. So far she had felt this wasn’t her fight and she should keep a low profile but enough was enough. “Hold off there, Xand! Did you even give the girl a chance to explain in between all those pity parties you’ve been throwing yourself?”

"Oh I'm sorry!" Xander threw his large hands up in the air, barely missing Spike. "Was I singing your song? 'Look at me. I'm Faith'." He mocked in a whiny voice. " 'Buffy ruined my life! It was all 5 by 5 till she came along.' Please! Get over it." His raised voice cause a few curious SIT's to peek around the open doorway.

Faith turned her head, finger twirling in the belt loop of her dark denim jeans. She didn’t like to get involved and this was the reason, it always came back to her in the end. It was better to stay detached, stay away, to tuck yourself safely behind that wall. But over the past months the Scoobies and the girls had slowly eroded away her once hardened shell, with understanding and acceptance they filed away at it till nothing was left. So words that normally would have rolled back struck a chord, a cold violent chime ringing through the group. If it hadn’t been for the wide-eyed young girls standing at the doorway Xander would have been in a heap on the floor, knocked out cold. That was what Faith knew; someone hurts you, you hurt them back before they do it again. She started to stomp out of the room, pausing once she reached the doorway. With one last withering look back at Xander she said. “Ya might want to be careful, ya never know when people will just stop taking your crap.” She cocked her head, telling the SIT’s to scram and smiled sadly at Spike. “Glad to have ya back.”

“Well that was interesting.” Spike drawled. “I thought she would have at least gotten in one good punch. Oh well.” He shrugged. Guess I’ll have to do it for her.”

Xander rolled his head to finally face Spike. “Oh would you please shut up? In case you forgot you’re a ghost. Whatcha gonna do? Yell ‘Boo’ real loud?”

“Umm…Xander?” Willow rose from her seat and pulled at his flannel shirttails. ”There is something I forgot to tell you. Do you think we can go in the other room?”

He brushed her off. “Hold on, Will. Casper here was just gonna explain how he intends to kick my ass. Wasn’t that right, Blondie?”

“Xander?” Willow pleaded again, urging him to back down.

“He’s alive.” The words came quietly from Dawn, causing the whole room to still. She had not said a word since Spike made his entrance and no one dared speak over her. “OhmyGod. You’re alive!” She ran across the floor, throwing herself into his strong arms, nearly knocking him to the ground. “You’re alive, you’re alive.’ She repeated between sobs. Spike returned the heartfelt embrace, hugging her close and lifting her a few inches from the ground. Tears prickled against his cool skin as Dawn’s willpower fell away, leaving only a seventeen-year-old girl who had lost too many people in her short life and was worried about losing her sister. She could lie down her burdens; allow the cracks in her armor to show. Spike was here. He would take over the weary loads. He would ease them from her shoulders. He would make everything better. He would make her better.

Kennedy and Xander silently digested this piece of information, their mouths slightly agape at the shock, eyes glued to the scene in front of them. If they had not been watching so intently they might have noticed Willow’s unfazed reaction. For Willow wasn’t shocked. No, she wasn’t shocked at all, and as she looked at Dawn sobbing in Spike’s arms, a line of worry drew itself on her face.

“I’m here, lil bit.” Spike soothed the crying brunette. “That’s right. Let it all out. Daddy’s here.”

“He’s touching her?” Xander stood bewildered, searching from recognition of what his eyes were telling him. “He’s touching her! He’s a ghost and he’s touching her!” His gaze roamed between Kennedy, Willow, and the not so ghost. “He’s touching her.”

“You really are a clot, aren’t you?” Spike spoke over Dawn’s head, not breaking the connection.

“A baby horse?” Xander questioned, mind completely jumbled.

“That’s a colt.” Willow answered quietly.

Xander spun to face Willow. “But he’s touching her!” He protested once again, his mind stuck on that single track. Over and over it replayed in his head. Spike’s a ghost. But he’s touching Dawn. But he can’t Spike’s a ghost.

Willow’s green eyes flashed with worry as she glanced over at Spike. “You really are thick.“ Spike sighed as Dawn finally relinquished her hold on him, pulling back and wiping at her tears. “Of course I can touch her, you pillock. I’m not a bloody haunt.”

“How? When? How?” Xander scrambled for answers.

“It’s really you?” Dawn stood back a step, gazing at him.

“Yeah, luv. It’s me.”

“And you’re alive?” She added hopefully.

“Haven’t been alive in a long time.” He smiled, a bit of sadness shining from his eyes. “Still got that pesky sun allergy or I would have been here sooner.’’ His glance caught Willow’s who averted her eyes.

“Sooner?” Dawn raised an eyebrow. “How did you know Buffy would-“ Off a look from Xander she redirected the question. “I mean how did you know to come.”

“I got a ring.” His gaze caught Willow’s, who again averted her eyes to the concrete floor. “Heard a bit of ruckus, thought I’d come by and check it out.”

“Umm…Excuse me,” Kennedy raised her hand, as if in class waiting to be called. “But how long have you been undead?” Spike sent her a pointed look at her mistake. “I mean how long have you been touchable? Why didn’t you just come here right away? Why wait for a ring?”

“Funny thing.” Spike stalled. “I mean not funny but interestin’. The thing is-“

Dawn’s face fell, eyes darkening under the crushing blow. He didn’t even tell her. If he hadn’t gotten that phone call she never would have known. He would have never told her. “You didn’t tell us? You didn’t even call to let Buffy or me know?”

“Oi! It’s not like that, lil bit.” He tried to plead his case but Dawn would have none of it, in her easily offended teen mind the jury had already decided guilty and was now pondering proper punishment.

“Just save it.” She crossed her arms in front of her chest, and with a toss of her head flipped her brunette strands back. ‘I mean how could you do that to me? To Buffy? Don’t you remember how upset she was when she saw you? When both you and Angel had decided to keep your ghost thing a secret? Why would you do that again to me? I mean, us.” She kept her head held high even though tears threatened to spill, her injured heart bleeding out its sorrow through her puppy dog orbs. She tried to focus on the anger, on the blazing fire within. She worked her thoughts onto the path of her poor sister’s feelings, fighting for detachment. He obviously didn’t care about her; if he had he would have at least told her. Well then she didn’t care about him.

Gathering her wits, Willow inhaled, allowing the breath to calm her body. ”Dawnie, it’s not his fault. I asked him to stay away.”

“Away? Why?” Dawn spun to face her, eyes large with unspoken questions.

“I-I.” Willow stammered as three piercing stares from those nearest and dearest to her bore through her body. “I just didn’t want to make her worse. And there is some stuff she doesn’t know about.” Her gaze ticked to Spike, who shoved his hands deep within his pockets as if a boy about to be scolded. “Some big stuff that both Angel and I thought it was best to keep from her.”

“Ohhhh!” Xander spoke up. “So you three just decided to keep this from her? Cuz that has worked so well in the past. I mean I can’t wait to see how she reacts to this. ‘Oh Buffy your crazy ex would be rapist is here and he’s no longer a ghost! By the way did we mention that both your ex honey and your best friend knew and didn’t bother to tell you.’ Yeah.” He rolled his sierra eyes. “I’m sure that will go over real well. Maybe this time she’ll just try to hang herself instead.”

“Xander.” Dawn cried out, tears cascading down her cheeks at the mention of how far Buffy had fallen. While anger blazed within her at being kept in the dark she sent her once crush a devastating look and one simple command. “Don’t.”

He faced her, apology evident. “I’m sorry, Dawnie. I really am. But I’m not going to sit around why these two railroad everyone. I’m not gonna risk Buffy doing something stupid because she feels betrayed.”

“Buffy?” Spike’s ears caught the words as he fit them together like a jigsaw puzzle. Buffy. The Call. Something Stupid. ”Is she alright?”

“She will be without you around.”

“Where-where is she? I need to see her.” He kept his hands in his pockets, fists clenching in worry at the leather as he looked out the open doorway.

Xander held out a hand to stop him. “Where do you think you’re going?”

“Are you completely daft?!” He yelled. “To find Buffy where else?”

“Over my dead body.”

“That can be arranged.” Spike bit back.

Diffloare! ” With that the two men were blown apart, slamming into opposite walls with a loud thud. “Sorry.” The red head added before spots began to dance before her and her legs gave way. Kennedy moved with lightening speed to catch her lover before she hit the ground.

“Hey you okay?” She focused on the witch’s sallow complexion as she helped her sit on one of the stools.

“Yeah.” Willow peered out of tired eyes. “Just magicked myself out.”

“Maybe you should lie down and get some rest.”

“No!” Kennedy jumped back at this sudden exclamation to her suggestion before realizing Willow wasn’t speaking to her. Both Spike and Xander were edging their way towards the door. They halted at her word.

“I’m going to see her.” Spike insisted, eyes flashing dangerously.

“No, you’re not.” Xander argued.

“Xander?” Willow thrust her tired but powerful glare at him. “Shut up.”

Spike smiled at that, large grin growing across his face. “Havin’ a bit of a row with your mates? Way to go, Harris.” He smirked. “Well if you’ll excuse me I have a girl to go see.”

“No, you’re not.” Willow replied with a forceful tone, though she was weak they both knew who had the power here.

He stopped and looked at her. “Red, don’t make me hurt you.”

“Don’t make me hurt you.” She countered wearily.

Dawn looked over the group anxiously. There could be a real problem if Spike and Willow went head to head, throw Kennedy and Xander into the mix and you have a big batch of uglies. But Spike did not move to attack. “You can’t mean to keep me from her?” His blue eyes rang with chimes of sadness and longing.

“No, you can see her.” Spike let out an audible sigh of relief. “But not yet. There are some things you don't know. Some important stuff about Buffy. First you and I will have a talk, and only then can you go see her."

"Will." Xander begged. He had lost so much to darkness and battles. He lost his eye, the love of his life, he even came close to losing his best friend, and he wasn't about to let Buffy slip through his fingers. Gone were the days where he waited for her to rescue him. He no longer played the damsel. He’d tossed off the costume of youth and insecurity. He no longer feared what went bump in the night. He had seen fear, he had seen into Buffy's hollow eyes and in Willow's dark soul. He had seen fear and had nothing to fear but losing them. Buffy needed a hero and it was his turn.

"I know." Her heart softened at his soft-spoken plea. "I'll make it okay, Xand. I promise. Just trust me." He had much to not trust her about at the moment, withholding the spell, not telling him about Spike, but he nodded. Even though he silently cursed his too soft heart. Willow was his best friend and he would follow her on the path to hell if she told him to but he wouldn't take Buffy with him. "Why- why don't you go sit with her? Maybe read her a book?"

"Or comics? Whatever is lying around..." He grinned lopsidedly but Willow noticed it didn't reach his eyes as he trudged out the door and up the steps.

"Kennedy?" Willow prompted once Xander had left.

"Filling in Faith and helping with the girls." She replied with a sigh. "I'm on it."

"Spike? Why don't you follow me." She started for the door before remembering Dawn was still standing there. "Umm... could you maybe make Spike a bed and clean up in here?"

"Sure." She nodded as Spike followed Willow like an obedient puppy. "Joy." She muttered to herself. "I get the clean up." She started to wash off the knives and cutting boards when something caught her eye. Finally she just couldn't take it, she sat down on a stool at the workbench and sobbed. She sobbed until she was spent, bitter tears only capable in the very young. The apples were already turning brown.