Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks again to Brat for her comments on this chapter. Also to everyone who has left a review. Big hugs for all!
Chapter Six

Buffy froze as her somewhat inebriated mind caught up with her body. She cracked an eye open to find herself in a lip lock with a very surprised William Rafe. Pulling back a little she smiled weakly at him.

“Sorry about that,” she mumbled.

Spike chuckled. “Hey, anytime you want to say hello like that I promise not to complain.”

Buffy couldn’t help but laugh at his teasing tone. She noticed he hadn’t removed his hands from her hips and she felt their warmth ripple through her as she smiled up at him. “I’m so glad you’re here,” she said with a relieved sigh. “How did you find me?”

“You told me you’d be here. Your sister’s birthday, right?”

Buffy nodded, suddenly remembering Dawn’s presence. She turned around to see her sister staring at them with an amused grin. Drawing up to her full height Buffy put on her best I’m-completely-sober voice and introduced them. “Dawn, this is William Rafe. William, this is my sister Dawn.”

The two shook hands before Dawn announced she was going to the bar and wouldn’t it be a great idea for the two of them to go out on the balcony and talk. Rolling her eyes at her sister’s bluntness, Buffy took Spike’s hand and, without a word, led him out through a nearby door. Given that the club was on the second floor, and the balcony had a view of nothing more than the street below, they had the area to themselves. A fact Buffy was very grateful for at that moment.

Turning to face Spike, she tried to control the butterflies that were playing havoc in her stomach. “So,” she began, “you were looking for me?”

“I was,” he replied. He curled his tongue behind his teeth in the sexiest smile she’d ever seen and stalked toward her.

“And why was that?” She backed away until she felt the railing behind her. Her breath caught as he came closer.

Placing his hands on the railing on either side of her he looked down into her flushed face and grinned, “Well, last night you didn’t let me say a proper good night.”

He was so close Buffy felt like she couldn’t breathe. The mixture of alcohol and his presence left her light-headed and she had to fight the urge to lean into the strength of his body. “What would a proper good night consist of?”

“It would start,” he whispered as her lowered his head, “something like this.” He closed the space between them and they both moaned in pleasure. Sliding her hands around his neck Buffy quickly deepened the kiss, sliding her tongue into his mouth to taste him. Wrapping his arms around her, he pulled her against him. When they finally parted his voice was raspy with desire. “Then it would end with me asking when I can see you again.”

Buffy smiled giddily. “You want to see me again?”

“Oh Willow, I want that very much,” he replied, pulling her in for another kiss.

At his words she placed her hands on his chest to hold him back.

A puzzled expression crossed his face as he looked at her. “What’s wrong?”

Buffy swallowed hard, preparing herself for the coming conversation. “My name is not Willow Rosenberg.”

He frowned at her, obviously confused. “What do you mean?”

Pulling out of his arms Buffy took a deep breath and launched into her confession. “My friend Willow won the competition. She was very sick yesterday and asked me to fill in for her. So I did. I’m sorry I lied, but I didn’t ever expect that we would…or that you would be so…amazing.”

Having run out of things to say Buffy stood silently. He hadn’t moved a muscle since she started talking and she began to fidget nervously, unable to meet his stunned gaze.

“Did you lie about anything else?” he asked abruptly.

“No,” she quickly replied. “Just my name.”

“You made that whole speech about me not putting on a front.”

Buffy cringed at the memory. “I know. I’m sorry.”

Spike eyed her warily, as if he was trying to read her mind for anything else he should know. Then a thought occurred to him. “Why didn’t you tell me last night?”

Buffy almost screamed in frustration. As if she hadn’t heard that question enough today! “I don’t know. I wanted to, but when you kissed me I…I just panicked.”

“That’s why you slammed the door in my face?” He pointed at her accusingly.

“I didn’t slam it,” she clarified. “I closed it, quietly.”

Spike paced around the balcony as a hundred thoughts clamoured for his attention. “I knew there was something going on,” he muttered, as if talking to himself. “You kissed me back, I know you did. But then you just up and ran. I thought I was wrong and you didn’t feel…”

“I felt it,” she told him quietly. His pacing stopped abruptly as he turned to look at her. Awareness passed between them and Buffy felt her heart begin to race as her body reacted. Looking down she continued, “I’m know you’re angry with me but…”

“I didn’t say I was angry,” Spike pointed out, cutting her off.

“Aren’t you?”

He thought for a moment before responding. “Angry’s too strong a word,” he told her. “More like…disappointed.”

Buffy nodded, eyed focused on the ground between them. She was glad she had told him, but sad that it would end like this.

Seeing her defeated pose Spike reached out to lift her chin, forcing her to look at him. His blue eyes bore into her with an intensity that made her shiver. “I get why you did it, but I don’t like it when people lie to me. Promise you won’t do it again.”

Hope flared in her chest and she held he gaze steadily when she replied, “I promise.”

He nodded curtly, seeming to accept her words. Then he asked, “What is your name?”

“Buffy Summers,” she replied with a grin.

“Buffy.”

“Yes.”

“Maybe you should have stuck with Willow,” he said with a smirk.

She snorted and slapped his arm playfully. “I suppose I deserved that didn’t I?”

He laughed and tugged her closer. “You so did.” Taking her head between his hands he planted a chaste kiss on her lips. “Alright then love,” he said when they parted. “I’ll call you Buffy if you call me Spike.”

“Spike?” she replied with a confused frown.

“Yeah,” he smiled at her, “It’s a nickname. Only people close to me call me Spike.”

“So I’ll be getting close to you then?” she asked, smiling shyly up at him.

“I hope so Buffy. In more ways than one.” With that he took her hand and led her back into the club.