Author's Chapter Notes:
This is another story dedicated to Katie, the amazing friend who gave me the idea and helped me run with it. If anyone understands how much I loathe family vacations, it’s her. Thank you so much for your help and support!

Also, I’m going to update this story based on the date, so for instance, today is July 1st (for me, at least), and it’s July 1st in the fic. Tomorrow, there are two chapters that coincide with the 2nd, so I’ll be posting both at different times of the day. I hope this isn’t confusing:) But I just thought I’d tell people they will be getting two chapters tomorrow!
Buffy Summers looked out the window of the plane with a scowl on her face. Yet again, she had been roped into going on a family vacation with her parents. As usual, it was a trip that would be focused on historical landmarks and sites, and this one was specifically centered around Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia. She hated trips like these, mainly because history didn’t interest her and she didn’t like being away from her friends for a week or two in summer.

‘At least this one is only four days,’ she thought. ‘If I was gone for two weeks like I was last summer on the trip to Nova Scotia, I’d figure out a way to break my leg or wind up in a hospital instead. Anything to keep me away from family vacations.’

“Isn’t the view spectacular?” Joyce Summers asked as she looked over Buffy’s shoulder to see the clouds beneath the plane.

“Sure,” Buffy mumbled. “It always looks like this whenever we’re on a plane.”

“I know you don’t like going on trips with us, Buffy,” Joyce said quietly, hoping that her husband Hank wouldn’t wake up from his nap to see how annoyed their daughter was. “But your father and I like doing things with you.”

“I’m not a little kid anymore, Mom,” she replied. “I’m eighteen years old and can take care of myself.”

“I know that,” Joyce said, patting her daughter’s hand. “But this will probably be our last family vacation, so can you please try to make the best of it?” Buffy sighed and looked down.

“Fine,” she replied. “But don’t expect me to go above and beyond for you two.”

“Thank you,” Joyce said, leaning over to kiss Buffy’s cheek. “Now, we’re not landing for about two hours, so why don’t you sleep or something? It was an early morning for all of us.”

“Yeah, you’re right,” Buffy said, yawning. “Wake me up when we land.”

‘When this hellish vacation really starts,’ she thought before shutting her eyes and leaning back against the headrest.

* * * * *

After departing the plane and going to pick up their rental car, the family put all of their luggage inside the small SUV and began to drive towards Williamsburg.

‘Thankfully the airport isn’t even twenty minutes away from there,’ she thought. ‘I’d hate to be in this car longer than I have to be.’

“So, Buffy, is there anything you’re interested in seeing while we’re here?” Hank asked, looking at his daughter in the rearview mirror.

“I’m sure she’ll find something,” Joyce replied, looking at a map of Williamsburg. “There are lots of things going on right now, especially since July 4th is in a couple of days. I’m sure it will be buzzing with tourists.”

‘Great,’ Buffy thought, irritated. ‘I’ll be surrounded by tons of screaming children, re-enactors, and lots of people taking pictures and getting angry when you walk into their shot. And people wonder why I hate vacations in summer.’

“I think it’s going to be a lot of fun,” Hank said, smiling at his wife.

‘You always think that,’ Buffy thought, angry. ‘And trust me, it’s never fun.’

* * * * *

They arrived at the hotel a little while later and checked in before going up to the room. As they got to a door, Hank smiled at his wife before turning to his daughter and handing her a key. Buffy looked at it, confused.

“Your mother and I decided to let you have your own room,” he said, and Buffy smiled, surprised.

“Thank you,” she said, looking between her parents. “That’s really cool of you to do.”

“Well, you’re getting older and probably don’t want to stay in a room with two snoring adults,” Joyce replied jokingly. “Besides, if you need us, the rooms are adjoined by a balcony, so you can come over or vice versa.” Buffy nodded and walked one door over, putting her key in the lock and opening the door.

“Thanks again,” she said before carrying her bags inside and closing the door. She looked around the spacious room, her eyes instantly settling on the king-sized bed in the center. A grin spread across her face before she dropped her bags on the floor, sprinted to the bed, and jumped on it, giggling like a little kid.

‘Maybe it won’t be so bad after all,’ she thought, looking around the room.

* * * * *

After eating in the hotel’s restaurant with her parents that evening, she returned to her room while her parents went to take a walk around town. She walked out onto her balcony and looked around the surrounding area, seeing the main street in Colonial Williamsburg, filled with people milling around.

‘I realize I should be grateful for being taken on vacations like this,’ she thought. ‘A lot of my friends have never been out of California, while I’ve been to at least 40 states, parts of Canada, and Cancun in Mexico.’ She sighed. ‘But yet, these trips are usually more pains in the ass than fun and enjoyable. How many Civil War-type tours can you take before you feel like sticking a pen in your eye? How many empty fields that once had soldiers dying on them can you see before they all blend together in your mind? And how many historic buildings can you walk through before you feel like tripping down some stairs so you can return home, cast or not?’ She shook her head, looking down. ‘I just want to be back home again, in my house, in my room, in my bed. I want to be close to my friends and go out with them. I just want… to be away from here. The plane ride home won’t come soon enough.’






A/N, Part 2 A lot of this story is true, coming from my perspective on a trip to Williamsburg I took last summer with my parents. All of Buffy’s thoughts are ones that ran through my head, although she only has a four-day vacation versus the two-week one I had. I took certain liberties with things in Colonial Williamsburg, which if any of you have been there, you’ll notice. Tell me what you think of it so far, and I promise our favorite blonde man will be in the next chapter:)