Chapter 10


“………Fly like the wind they will, you’d be able to put your life savings on ‘em…won’t he boy, eh…yes!” Sam – not even looking at sir Jasper patted the horse’s flanks, and the horse whinnied, nodding as if in agreement

“And how much extra will this cost?” Sir Jasper snapped irritably

“Monetary wise, nothing, sire – all it will mean is that I’m away overnight for the ride is too long for one day – plus, being the best blacksmith in the country, there might be a queue of-“

“Yes, yes, I get the picture…” Sir Jasper cast a bloodshot eye over the horses, then Sam said,

“Of course, you DO know Lord Burleigh uses him, don’t you?”

“How do you know?”

“Word gets about…I also hear Lord Burleigh has a new, Spanish stallion…impressive, so they say, fast anyway” Sam said watching Sir Jasper closely

Sir Jasper narrowed his eyes at Sam, for he too had heard of this new ‘wonder-horse’ of his gambling rival.

“And how’d you hear all about that, hmm?”

“Riley, the stable boy, his brother is stable boy for Lord Burleigh now, joined last week”

Sir Jasper smiled

“Is that so…”

“And, needless to say sire, any juicy gossip about the horses comes my way…I’d be more than happy to, well – “

“I’m NOT paying you!” Sir Jasper suddenly snapped

“Wouldn’t dream of it sire!”

“Then what would be in it for you?”

“Prestige, sire, prestige – running the best stables…having the best animals – could raise excellent stud prices – if you wanted to do that”

This was something Sir Jasper hadn’t even thought about, and anything that could possibly make him cash interested him

“Putting them to stud, huh…hmm………Take them – the stable boy, will he cope?”

“Assured sire”

“Then take them tonight”

“Not tonight, sire – they have been running today, don’t want to pull any muscles, I’ll tidy the stables and take them tomorrow afternoon when they are well rested”

“MY ANGEL! There you are…I’ve been looking all over the hall for you!” Drusilla’s simpering voice made Sir Jasper look up and smile

“My Sweet! I have good news!” he turned to Sam and said,

“Do as you said, I want my horses to be the best”

“Sire” Sam tugged his forelock and lead the horse away back to his stable

Sir Jasper allowed Drusilla to take his arm, and as they walked back to the Hall, he began to tell her about his new plans to get rich…

“………So when Burleigh boasted about his new stable boy to me last night I recognised the name – same as our stable boy – turns out they are brothers, I’ll be able to keep tabs on Burleigh and he won’t know how I’m doing it – my horses will be the best, and stud fees will be rich pickings!”

Sir Jasper lied through his teeth to Drusilla – he couldn’t possibly let her think this idea had come from a mere stable groom…and Drusilla clapped her hands like a child

Meanwhile, young William had been watching from his mother’s bedroom window, and saw Sam smiling as he lead the horses away – he just KNEW his plan was going to work.


*******************


Calais – 23rd June, 1601



“What is it, Sir William?”

“This letter, it was delivered this morning was it not Giles?”

“Yes sir, I bought it to your quarters myself…is there anything wrong sir?”

“Yes…I must sail for Dover tonight – I am being deceived by my own step-brother, my wife is gravely ill, and the Blackmore Hall is in immanent danger of being gambled away – I will need my things packing and sent on – my campaign here is over”

“Yes sir – I will see to it immediately myself, sir” Giles saluted and left


***************


“Good luck and gods-speed!” Willow secretly saw Sam off with the two horses, then went back into the hall.

**************

“There mama, is that better?” William had straightened his mother’s pillows

“Yes thankyou…”

“Try and eat some of this mama, it’s made of honey, milk, nutmeg and rennet, it’s good for the stomach” William proffered the small bowl of yoghurt-y type food at her

Taking several small mouthfuls, Lady Elizabeth pronounced it good!

The door opened and Willow came in carrying little Elizabeth, all smiles. They had decided not to tell Lady Elizabeth what was going on, she was still too frail, but now she wasn’t being given the poison, she was getting stronger by the day.


“Sam is away to have the horses shoed” She put the infant on her mother’s bed and she crawled towards her.

“Good…mama likes the junket!” young William said, smiling

“I’m glad, it will help line you stomach!” Willow said, smiling at her friend

Lady Elizabeth cuddled her daughter to her

“I seem to have lost so many days with my illness…tell me, how are the gardens?”

“The gardens are fine mama, the roses and stocks are in full bloom, and I should say in a few days that you will be well enough to see for yourself!”


*******************


Sam tied the both horses to a tree in the forest at the edge of the Burleigh estate, and fetched water for them both.

He built a small fire, and chewed on some bread and cheese he’d bought with him. Night fell and he made himself as comfy as possible while he waited for whom he considered to be his real Lord and master to come.

************************

“We will dock in ten minutes Sir William – shall I send out to book you a room somewhere so you can rest for the night?” The captain of the small fishing boat Sir William commissioned to bring him from Calais to Dover.

“That will not be necessary, thankyou – could you tell me where I might buy a horse in Dover?”

“Yes sir, of course, go see Charles Gunn, a man of fine repute – in fact he is approved of by royalty – can speak fairer than that sir”

“Indeed not – and where would I find this ‘Charles Gunn’ fellow?”

He has stables just off the main square – tell him I sent ye and he’ll be giving you a discount”

William smiled and thanked the captain, and as soon as the boat docked, he set off for the town square.


************


Not wanting loose any time, Sir William negotiated a fair hire price to hire a steed, on the understanding that he would leave the horse in the woods on the edge of the Burleigh estate where Charles Gunn would have a stable-boy retrieve it.

“Shall we say, £3, sir?” Gunn said

“Is that all – you trust me?”

“Sir, you are an honourable man, and any friend of Captain Wyndham is a friend of mine”

William paid the £3 for the black steed and set course for the Burleigh estate.

************************

“But My Angel! You promised me – no more gambling!” Drusilla whined

“When I want you to interfere with MY affairs-“

“But at this rate – we will be homeless!”

“Then you will have to go back to your uncle Ethan!” Sir Jasper threatened, and Drusilla positively blanched at this idea.

“Please don’t say that! I love you – we are betrothed! When will my wedding ring be ready?”

Sir Jasper wriggled shiftily in his seat – wedding rings indeed! He didn’t have money for such frivolities! What little money he had left was to be put on his chestnut steed, Prince to win the Piltdown Cup!

“Um it is still being made my love – the craftsmen will take their time to make it perfect for you little dove!”

Drusilla was more than happy with this and she began to daydream about the lavish wedding they would have soon………