Chapter 3


“Will you make the tea now mom, everything else is ready!” Billy asked

“Okay, kettle’s on, do you want to call her?”

Willow came downstairs and went straight out into the garden.

“I hope you like it – we’ve got egg and cress, ham or cheese sandwiches, aunty Peggy’s scones with jam and clotted cream, and a pot of tea” Billy announced, holding out a chair

“Sounds absolutely yummy! Willow said, taking a seat.

Having made the tea, Buffy bought it out on the tray and they all sat down in the afternoon sun – it was quite warm for early June.

Willow was occupied with Billy, he showed her all the birds he’d seen in the garden, via his note and garden bird book Giles had bought him, and little Izzie wasn’t to be out-done, she chatted away about the dozen hens they kept and their big brown speckled eggs, and wild ducks at the bottom of the garden in the stream…

After eating their fill, Willow settled back in her chair comfortably.

“I love it here, it’s so peaceful. I mean, I thought Giles’ place was quiet, but this is sublime!”

Buffy smiled and said,

“Yeah…got my dream come true!”

“Hello…hello-ooo!”

“In the garden Sam!” Buffy called out, and the back gate to the garden opened.

“Hi – what brings you here – not that you’re not welcome that is!” Buffy said, looking from Sam to Willow…

“Thought I’d bring you these, there you go – four of the best Devonian lobsters you’ll find – that’s twenty quid of anybody’s money in a fancy restaurant, each!”

Buffy could see four big blue lobsters in a huge bucket, climbing over each other.

“Great, hold on, SPIKE – SAM’S HERE!” Spike’s head appeared through an open upstairs window, he grinned and came down.

“What we got then – ooh, four, well guess that’s one each, come to supper Sam?”

“What, tonight?”

“Yeah, I’ll do theses babies either ‘Thermidor’, with white wine and cheese, or grilled with garlic butter” Spike said, looking into the bucket

“Hmm, slap on some parsley and garlic butter, and you’ve got yourself one more for supper!”

“Good – how much do we owe you?”

“Ah, f’get it, I’ll bring a decent bottle too, about nine be okay?”

“Fine – the children will be in bed by then”

*****************


The conversation at dinner flowed as easily as the wine, but Buffy, Spike and Willow had to limit their stories, obviously nothing could be said about their pasts as a witch, the slayer and a vampire in front of Sam………

“………So, the scope of MY French was, ‘the cow can touch me from Tuesday!” Buffy said

Everyone laughed, and Sam looked at his watch, it was gone midnight.

“Well, hate to be a kill-joy, but I better be making a move, I’ve got to be up for the newspapers in the morning…I’ll be here about a quarter to eleven, will that be okay?”

“Fine, the train leaves at midday, that’ll give us plenty of time to get there” Buffy said

Sam stood, and Willow looked up at him and said,

“So, going to show me this star you navigate by then – when you’re out night-fishing?”

“Sure, follow me!” Sam took hold of Willow’s hand and led her out into the front garden…

Buffy casually glanced out at them as she ferried dirty crockery to the kitchen, and at first she saw Sam pointing to the heavens and Willow dutifully looking up…and by the time she took the condiments off the table, she could see the two of them in a passionate clinch!

“Fast cat, poor Sam didn’t stand a chance!” Spike said grinning, as he folded the tablecloth

Buffy grinned and said,

“Well, you know what they say, it’s the quiet ones you’ve got to watch!”

When Willow came back inside, Buffy nor Spike could keep the smiles off their faces.

“Fast cat, hope you were gentle with him!” Spike teased, making Willow go red and giggle.

“Stop! – He seems like a really nice guy, and that West Country accent of his makes go all ‘ooh!’” Grinning she sort of shimmied and raised her brows.

Spike offered the bottle of wine to her, and plastering on a really thick accent he said…

“Ooh-arr me dear, ‘ave another glarz o’ woine?!”

Willow playfully popped him one on the arm, and Buffy giggled

“Well, I shall retire to bed, if you don’t mind, I need my beauty sleep, goodnight!”

“Yup, you must look your best for Sam in the morning, night Will!” Buffy teased, Willow grinned and rolled her eyes and went upstairs.

“Yeah, night Will!” Spike clapped his hands together and rubbed them saying,

“Right then pet, I’ll wash, you dry” they went into the kitchen to tidy up.

“It’s not going to shift, I’ll have to leave this in soak overnight” Spike said, throwing the scouring pad into the sink and filling the grill pan with water and detergent and putting it on the drainer.

Buffy dried her hands, yawned, and stretched.

Spike slipped his arms around her and nuzzled her neck from behind.

“Willow’s a dark horse, isn’t she – full of surprises!”

Buffy grinned and said,

“When we were talking this afternoon, I asked about Marie-Claire, I was a bit careful in case the break-up was painful, but she grinned and shrugged and said she’d got sick of her smoking and the Gallic shrug and the moaning! That and the fact that her brother wanted a threesome with them!”

“Well, she’ll definitely ruffle a few feathers if she’s seen with Sam in the Smuggler’s Cove, that one barmaid really fancies him!”

“That tall Australian one? – She fancies anything in trousers that one – she gives you the glad eye too!” Buffy turned in Spike’s embrace to face him.

“But I’m taken pet…nobody in the world for me but you babe, you know that”

Spike dipped his head and caught her mouth in a passionate kiss, until Buffy stayed his shoulders and leaned out of the clinch…

“Hey, down boy, I want a bath first…although you can come and wash my back if you want to!” Buffy kissed his nose, and Spike ‘pinched’ another kiss on the lips then whispered to her,

“Only if I can wash all the interesting places too!” and giggling like a couple of teenagers, they went upstairs………


*****************

After a light breakfast of tea and toast, Spike helped Buffy by washing up while she got Izzie ready. Willow came downstairs wearing chocolate brown tailored pants, a cream open-necked blouse and she’d tied the arms of a light little peach coloured cardigan casually around her neck.

“Will I do?”

“Wow – French chic!” Buffy said, looking suitably impressed

“Would you mind Izzie while I nip upstairs and change – Izzie, come and show Aunty Willow your counting book”

At five to eleven Sam turned up, apologising for being slightly late.

“The one back tyre looked a bit flat, so I took it to the garage to be pumped up – and here’s that ‘What’s On’ guide you asked me to get – so everybody ready – hop in then!” He gave Willow a wink and she blushed!

Buffy and Spike automatically climbed into the back with the children, leaving Willow the front seat next to Sam.

Spike was reading the guide Sam had given him

“Oh hey, listen to this, you know we said that we’d go to Blackmore Hall this week, well, on Wednesday, they have demonstrations of the Knight’s of Old sealed knot society, they do jousting, sword-fighting, there’s archery, birds of prey, and there’s the blacksmith there, we can watch him shoe the horses, - there’s a tree-top walk, a maze, the boating lake which takes you to a picnic area – sounds a great day out, shall we go on Wednesday then?”

Spike could see how pumped Billy was and he smiled

“Sam, what about you, I know Wednesday is your day off, come with us?”

He expertly slid into a parking space at the little station, switched off the engine and said,

“Well great, that’s if you’re sure you won’t be sick of me by then!” He was smiling at Willow as he said this, and Billy piped up,

“It’ll be great, the best day out ever!”

“Come then, oh look, here comes the train”

Everyone got out of the van and went to the platform.

Sam gave Billy a £10 note and said,

“Here you are young Billy, you get the tickets with that” After a few protests, Sam stood his ground, and Spike said that lunch was on them then.

They sat down in one of the open windowed carriages, and enjoyed the 8 miles of beautiful coastal scenery as they chuffed along, the children loving it when they went under the bridges and they were suddenly enveloped in steam for a few seconds!