Chapter 6


“Have you got a door key?” Sam asked, tightening his arms around Willow

“No, no I haven’t – golly look at the time! I really should be getting back, one of them will be sitting up for me”

“Hmm, I’ve got an early start in the morning too…come on then princess, lets get you home – kiss first though?


Willow homed in and gave him a kiss, and Sam reached for her hand and they walked to the car.

“So, how did you meet Buffy then – what was it first day at kindergarten was it?”

Willow clipped herself into the seatbelt and Sam started up the van.

“No, much later than that, I didn’t meet Buffy until she moved from LA, when her parents divorced, and she came to Sunnydale High, we were almost 16”

This surprised Sam, and he suddenly stopped the van in the middle of the country lane.

In the bright glare of the headlights, Willow saw a bird casually crossing the road, like it had all the time in the world, and she started to laugh!

“What on earth?”

“That my dear, is a grouse, it’s a game bird probably from Blackmore Estate, they keep all manner of game birds for shooting come the glorious 12th as it’s known, and unfortunately they have no road sense whatsoever!.”

“Do you shoot?”

“Practically de-rigeur in the country pet – so you’re swimming in the morning then?”

“Yup – boy do I need the exercise!”

“Get away, you’ve got a gorgeous figure!”

“Huh, and how long would it last with all the beer and fish and chips, pasties and cream teas!”

Sam chuckled and said,

“Well, I never go to the gym, no need, I’m always on the go – the shop, fishing, the pigs, delivering – take tomorrow, I’ve got to go to the cash and carry warehouse, then look after the shop from 12-2 while aunty does her baking, then I’ve got to mend two of my lobster pots, then give this old girl a service – she needs an oil change and I’ve got to fix the heater, then I’ve got to thin out the onions in the vegetable garden, so that’ll mean an hours worth of digging!” Sam pulled up outside Honeysuckle cottage, there was a pale orange glow through the curtains where the lamp was on in the lounge.

“Well thanks for a lovely evening Sam”

“Thankyou – and you’re welcome pet” He leaned over and gave her a passionate kiss – which could have lead to other things, but Willow opened the van door and the little light came on in the car

“I better go… see you Wednesday?”

“If not sooner – night babe” he winked at her.

Willow smiled and closed the van door quietly, she walked down the path, and lightly tapped on the window

She waved Sam off and went inside.

“Sorry I’m late – we got talking and forgot the time!”

Buffy smiled, yawned and stretched

“It’s okay, I fell asleep half-way through the late film – so did you have a good night?”

“Yeah – great…although that barmaid Tracy keeps giving me the evil eye…Spike gone to bed has he?”

“Bout ten minutes ago – want some tea, something to eat?”

“Oh goddess, no and no thanks! Don’t think tea on top of wine would go down very well”

“Are you seeing him tomorrow – sorry, I mean today?” Buffy asked as she saw it was now 12.10am

“Well, I said see you Wednesday, and he said ‘if not before’ – but nothing definite. I really like him Buffy – he’s, well he’s different”

“Well, MUCH – if you’re comparing him with a 21 year old French girl!” Buffy looked at Willow smiling, and Willow continued,

“I mean I know my last relationship was with somebody French and 21, and not forgetting female of course, but there’s a confidence in him I like – he’s a real man, not a kid, he knows what he wants…”

Buffy stood and smiled

“Well the kids already have you two married off – well Izzie has – ‘you were holding hands’ Buffy said mimicking her daughter, grinning now.

“What – oh my goddess!” Willow clamped her hand over her mouth and giggled.

“And Izzie also wants to be a bridesmaid, like in her storybook – so you have been warned! At least she’s not in competition with you – she had a crush on him when he first started to come here – Sam this and Sam that – Spike got quite jealous at first………”

“I can imagine!”

Buffy yawned and said,

“Well, that’s me off to bed, I’ll just lock up now you’re home”

***************

By 11 o’clock the following morning, Buffy, Willow and the children were off to Barnstaple leisure centre to go swimming.

Spike had got his notes together, and had taken himself off to see this chap Sam had suggested to him who might be of use towards the new book Spike had been commissioned to write, about the Edwardians – his books on Victorian England being such a success.

By five o’clock, everybody was back home. Buffy had hung their swimming stuff up to dry, and Willow went and sat in the garden and watched Izzie playing. Billy sat reading.

“I can’t wait until tomorrow – it’s going to be SO exciting!” Billy enthused, looking up from his book.

“I’m sure it’ll be great fun!” Willow agreed

“Coo-eee, anybody hoo-o-mme?”

“Uncle Sam!” Izzie cried out

Sam came through the back gate carrying a large brown paper sack, the type that usually held 56lbs of potatoes; it was about a 1/3 full.

“What have you got there?” Billy asked smiling

“Come and have a look – I promised these to your mum”

“Seashells!” Izzie beamed

Buffy came out of the backdoor of the cottage grinning

“You smelt the teakettle on the boil did you?”

Sam grinned and said,

“I did pet, milk and two sugars in mine…got you those shells you wanted for your rockery garden”

“And it was SO important that it couldn’t have waited until the morning!” Buffy said with a grin, pouring him out a mug of tea, knowing the REAL reason he’d come.

Sam gave her a bashful smile and took the tea but said nothing

Izzie and Billy had tipped out the shells onto the lawn, and Willow was helping them sort them into type and size

“Actually, I’m on the grocery delivery rounds, I wondered if Willow would like to come with me, I was going to show her my boat”

Buffy said seriously,

“You really like her don’t you?” Sam just nodded and took another gulp of tea.

Buffy didn’t say anything as it was none of her business, but she worried that he was going to get hurt as Willow had only planned to stay a fortnight………

Finishing his tea, Sam strode over to Willow and bent over and whispered to her. Buffy watched as Willow shielded her eyes from the sun, smiled and nodded, said something to Izzie and Billy and stood up.

Spike came down from upstairs and looked out into the garden

“I thought I heard his voice! He’s becoming quite a fixture here, isn’t he!”

Willow came in and said,

“Sam’s going to show me his boat, I’ll be back by seven”

“Okay Will, were having cold meats and salads, so nothing will spoil – you go enjoy yourself” Buffy said

*****************

They were just in Middle Netherbourne, when Sam’s mobile rang.

He pulled in to answer it.

“Hello?”

“Sam, are you in love or something?” His aunts dulcet tones rang out loudly, Willow couldn’t have failed to hear

“Wha-what – I-I-I, um w-what do you mean?” the colour flooded his face and Sam was glowing a hot, beet red

“You’ve left old Mrs Brown, widow, lives on her own 4 dozen eggs, and June Gillespie, who’s got to do the tea for 50 of the Women’s Fellowship meeting half a dozen – she can’t get her sponge cakes, éclairs and egg mayonnaise done on half a dozen-“

“Yes, yes, alright, I get the picture, sorry, it’s easily put right, I got a bit muddled, that’s all, no need to make a drama out of it!” Sam snapped, and then he moderated his tone,

“I’m in Middle Nether now, I can easily go back up to Higher Nether when I drop Willow back home”

“Yes, but you’ll have to go to Hangman’s Lane to pick up the four dozen first, actually, I told her to take her half dozen and to leave the others on the back step”

“Okay aunty, I’ll sort it don’t you worry”

“So, you’ve got Willow &**(*^&^%$%£ - !”

“Sorry aunty, signal’s bad, I’m in a dip, you’re breaking up”

“I said, *&^)(£$%~@~@**&^^& - and tomorrow as well, )(*~@$%%^”

“Sorry aunty, can’t hear you, bye!” Sam swiftly ended the call and glanced at Willow

“Sorry about that, I don’t know…I make ONE mistake!” Willow just smiled and they drove on.

*****************


They walked hand in hand down the jetty and onto the soft sand. The tide was due in, and Sam led her passed several large moored boats.

“Have you ever been on a boat before?”

“Only on a rowing boat…Xander scared me half to death, rocking the boat, teasing me the lake was bottomless…fact was I think it was about six foot at the deepest point!”

“Xander eh, that was yours and Buffy’s friend in Sunnydale, right?”

“Uh huh”

“Well, here she is!”

Willow looked up at a large navy blue and white painted boat; it had a mast and sail, and a small cabin at the front. The name ‘Carole-Anne’ proudly painted on the top edge of the prow.

“Carole-Anne – who was she then?”

Sam shrugged

“No idea pet, that’s what she was called when I bought her three months ago, I was going to re-name her – it’s just getting round to it, although I HAVE had one or two ideas”

Sam helped her up on board, and they went into the cabin. It was warm, certainly less windy in there than outside in the harbour.

“It’s cosy” Willow said, standing at the wheel and looking out over the harbour

“I take it this is the satellite navigational thingy” She pointed to a small monitor

“It is pet, and that’s the radio underneath – but I don’t go far, farthest I’ve been is Lundy Island, that’s about 28 miles away”

“I’ve heard of that”

“It’s an animal sanctuary and weather station…nobody lives there, well, not permanently, few little stone houses, one pub called the Marisco Tavern that sells everything – and some cows, and that’s it – gets a lot of studenty types and people studying the wild-life and weather and that…I’ll take you next week if you want”

He came and stood behind her, and couldn’t resist putting his hands over hers on the wheel. He dropped a soft kiss on her neck, and Willow half turned, offering her mouth. Sam wasn’t slow on the up-take, and kissed her with mounting passion.

“Oh gods, Willow, I –“ She fixed him with a look, and they stared at each other for a few seconds, there was a definite connection between them, the atmosphere was electric around them…

Willow put her fingers to his lips, and walked him backwards into the cabin, where they half sat, half lay on the bunk bed/come bench seat.

Taking the lead, Willow quickly divested herself of her cardigan, and then she began to tug at Sam’s tee-shirt. He swiftly pulled it off, and undid the buttons on her blouse. Willow threw it on the floor, Sam pushed her to a sitting position, and he stood

“Stand up a sec pet”

Willow stood and Sam put his hand under the seat and pulled. It suddenly transformed into a proper pull out bed, and while she was standing, Willow undid the buckle on her belt to her jeans, Sam was ahead of her and stood in his boxer shorts.

“Are you sure about this Willow?”

She didn’t answer; just nodded and pulled him down to the bed, kissing him again. Fumbling at her back, Sam tried to locate the hooks of her bra with no luck, she giggled and showed him the little rose clasp between the cups, pressed and the bra parted to reveal her luscious curves to him, which he began to nuzzle and kiss, making her gasp.

Suddenly, Sam stopped and sat upright and said,

“We can’t – oh god, I haven’t got any, you know – condoms – I didn’t plan this, I swear, else I’d have…”

“Shush, it’s okay – don’t worry, I’m covered, not that I’m in the habit of doing this sort of thing! I take a mini-pill to regulate my monthlies, it covers me, okay?”

Sam closed his eyes and mumbled something about ‘if she was sure’…

They made love slowly at first, speeding their movements at the end that culminated into an earth-moving orgasm for both of them – literally – the tide had come in and the boat suddenly bobbed on the swell of waves!

“Oh god, the tide – I forgot!” Sam lay back and giggled

“Will it get very deep?”

“No, couple of feet at the most, don’t worry” Sam turned on his side and stroked her hair

“Love your Titian hair…it’s so silky and soft, and it- hmm, smells lovely”

Willow smiled and cupped his cheek and gave him a light kiss

“You’re sweet, but we’d better be making a move, don’t you think?” Sam looked at his watch

“Oh goodness yes, else I‘ll have this June Gillespie after me!”

They got dressed and went outside

“It’s only a foot deep…right come on, don’t worry, I’ve got you!”

Willow giggled as Sam carried her through the water and up to the dry sand on the beach. There were a few guys that Sam knew grinning broadly at him.

“And where did you catch that delightful creature!” One guy asked and Sam beamed, Willow went pink cheeked with embarrassment

“Not telling you!” Sam held onto her hand and they walked up the jetty to the van.