Chapter 2

It took Buffy half an hour and two cups of tea to tell Willow all about the exorcism…

“………Goddess! – I must have been awful for you – those poor babies and that woman!”

“That isn’t all – I mean, Giles was a god-send, bringing the that priest monk and all, when it was all over I ran upstairs…Billy he…” Buffy’s eyes flooded with tears at the memory, and Willow sat forward in her chair and reached for her friend’s hand, Buffy composed herself and continued,

“I ran into the bedroom where Spike was with the children…in the corner we could see this golden sparkling light…it…” She faltered up again and trying to smile through her tears she said,

“It was mom…she came to take Tilly and the baby into the light, Billy said she sent all her love and she watches over us” Willow’s eyes too flooded with tears and she squeezed her friend’s hand

“Baby, I’m home!” the sound of the front door shutting and Spike strode into the sitting room. Buffy quickly wiped her eyes and called out,

“In here babe!”

“Hey Willow – you made it then!” Spike put his folders and briefcase down on the dining table and came over and gave Willow a hug.

“Look at you – the French air obviously agreed with you, you look fantastic!”

“So do you – and I can’t believe how much the children have grown!”

“Anyone for fresh tea?” Spike called out from heading towards the kitchen. He saw the still packed groceries and after filling and putting the kettle on, he began to unpack.

Buffy came into the kitchen to see Spike dreamily put one of the rum truffles into his mouth.

“Hey – are those rum truffles – I didn’t order those! Honestly, Peggy spoils you!”

Spike grinned as he chewed and said,

“I know…but she loves me, and god they are delicious!”

“Don’t spoil your dinner!”

“What are we having?”

“I don’t know – what are you going to cook?” Buffy asked taking two packets of homemade scones out of the bag.

“I should have done this earlier, I forgot about the clotted cream” Buffy said putting the carton into the fridge.

“Hmm, did I hear the words clotted and cream?” Willow asked grinning, bringing the empty teacups into the kitchen.

“For tomorrow! The children want to have a picnic for their aunty Willow in the garden, then I thought we could either go on the little steam train to Cockington, or if it’s not too breezy we could go to Lymebay beach”

“Speaking of the children, where are they?” Spike asked

“Billy’s doing his lessons on the computer, and Izzie’s having a nap – and you were just about to tell us what you’re cooking for dinner!”

Buffy said slipping a couple of pounds of Sam’s homemade pork sausages and home-smoked bacon into the fridge.

“You cook as well huh – my goodness!” Willow looked suitably impressed

“Any like or dislikes – any no goes, I mean I know you were bought up Jewish”

“Hey – I love pork and shellfish don’t worry, although I think I’d draw the line at whelks, cockles and oysters though!”

“Do you like pasta?”

“Love it!”

“Right, a lasagne al forno with a rich meaty sauce…followed by strawberry trifle I think!”

“Wow – okay ‘Jamie Oliver’ – can’t wait!”

Just then, Billy’s voice could be heard from upstairs…

“Dad…can you help me with my math, I’m stuck”

Willow smiled and said,

“Tell you what, as you’re cooking, shall I see if I can help?”

Spike smiled and nodded

“Can I help Billy?” Willow asked going to the foot of the stairs

“Yes of course…can you do calculus and algebra”

“Calculus and algebra, well yes…wow, the kids not 7 yet, and he’s doing…” Willow said incredulously.

“What can I tell you – the work books he’s on are for 13-14 year olds!” Spike said proudly, and Willow went off to help.

Buffy turned from putting a new pot of Peggy’s raspberry jam in the cupboard to find herself being cuddled up by Spike.

“Been talking about your mum pet?” Buffy nodded and snuggled into his strong chest, and asked,

“How did you know?”

“Coz you look a little watery around the eyes pet, but it doesn’t need Einstein to work it out that you and Will have been playing catch up. You okay kitten?”

Spike kissed her forehead and Buffy nodded…then he heard the rustling of cellophane and quickly pushed Buffy away from him, but not before Buffy had quickly pinched and popped one of his rum truffles into her mouth!

“Oi – cheeky those are mine!” He began to tickle her until a sleepy voice said to them,

“Daddy, I want a drink!” He turned and scooped up his daughter, who was rubbing her eyes.

“Do you princess – come on then…lets see what we’ve got shall we”

“I’ll take Will’s cases up, she can unpack after she’s finished helping Billy”


********************

“More trifle Will?”

“Oh goddess, I couldn’t eat another mouthful – it was absolutely delicious though! I’ll have to be careful at this rate my skinny jeans won’t fit me by next week!”

Spike grinned and stood, began to stack plates

“You sit, I’ll do the dishes…coffee anyone?” Buffy stood and went to get the coffee pot

“Please…so, Billy what shall we do tomorrow, hmm?” Willow asked

“Well, mom said a picnic in the garden, then I vote the beach – rock-pools are great fun…but I like the little train too”

“Well if it’s nice, go to the beach tomorrow, then on the train on Sunday, they have that street market in Cockington on Sunday, and the collectors and antiques fair in the Guild Hall – then we could all go to Sunday lunch at the Duke of York, they do a fantastic roast beef and Yorkshire pudding” Spike suggested

Willow was grinning.

“Great, but don’t forget you’re playing cricket on Sunday, Sam said he’d pick you up” Buffy said, pouring coffee for Spike and Willow.

“Yeah I know, but that’s not until 5.30pm, it’s only nets practice anyway – what?”

Spike saw Willow’s face, he too grinned and again he said,

“What?”

“You! This – the cottage with roses around the door, cricket on the lawn, Sunday lunches in the pub – how quintessentially English!”

“But I AM English!” Spike said laughing

Willow still grinning shook her head, she didn’t want to say too much in front of Billy – she wanted to say, million miles away from the ‘Big Bad’ Spike, his leather duster and his Desoto…it was a life-time ago.

“Can we go to Blackmore Hall one day next week – it’s open to the public” Billy asked, looking at his dad.

“That’s a great idea – go get that guide book son, and I’ll have a look”

Billy got down from the table and scooted off upstairs to get the said book.

While Billy was gone, Willow asked,

“So…this Sam, have a girlfriend does he?” Both Spike and Buffy looked at Willow and smiled

“Just asking, you know…he looks all kinds of salty goodness!” Buffy’s eyes went round and she laughed out

“WILLOW!”

“What? – Just asking, no crime in that, is there?”

“No, but well…I thought your interests……… lay elsewhere”

“Hey, variety is the spice of life!” Everybody grinned!

“Well – won’t deny he’s popular with the local girls, what few there are”

“And you, I’ve seen them eyeing you up in the pub!” Buffy said grinning

“Ah, but they know I’m taken – and nobody can come close to my little blonde goddess!” Spike slipped his arm around Buffy’s waist, and she kissed the top of his head.

“Want me to invite him along on Sunday then?”

“Yeah – could have some fun!”

“Here you are dad, I’ve opened it at the opening times page for you” Billy handed his father the book

There was a knock at the door and Buffy frowned

“Who could this be at this hour?”

Spike got up and answered it, and brought in a smiling Sam

“Aunty forgot to put the bread in your order – here you go, still warm, she baked fresh for you” Sam handed over two huge crusty white loaves.

Buffy pulled out the chair she’d been sitting in next to Willow and said,

“We were just talking about you Sam, sit down, coffee – glass of wine?”

“Wine’ll do great – so what have I done now, huh?”

“Nothing! We were going to invite you out to Cockington on Sunday, go on the train, have a rummage around the collectors fairs and the market, then lunch at the Duke, you’d be back in time for nets”

Sam accepted the glass of wine and sipped, then put it on the table

“Actually Spike, I think nets are off”

“Oh, why?”

“Well Dave is organising his wheat harvest, Colin is out at his grand-daughter’s Christening, Barry’s caught chicken pox off his nipper, and Mick’s doing as much overtime as he can to pay for his very expensive wedding – and Eddie’s twisted his knee doing his amateur dramatics – they’re doing ‘Grease’ he landed awkwardly when he jumped off the hood of the car during ‘Greased Lightening’!”

Spike snorted a giggle and said,

“Silly sod! How old is he - so, whaddya say then mate, come with us?” Sam looked straight at Willow as he sipped his wine and said,

“Sure, sounds like a very enjoyable way spend a Sunday, although I can’t leave before 10.30am, I have to do the newspapers in the shop, Sunday is the only day Aunty gets a lie-in”


“That’s fine, by the time we’ve got up and got the children ready, we’ll be ready when you come”

“Shall we all go in my van, I can park it at the station?”

“Great – I’ll book us a table at the pub, it gets really busy and I’d hate for us to be disappointed” Buffy said.

Everything was arranged and Sam left, not before Buffy and Spike noticed that neither he nor Willow could hardly keep their eyes off each other………