Author's Chapter Notes:
I think this is my favorite chapter of this fic, so I hope everyone else likes it! Have a good Sunday!:)
The following night, Buffy sat on her porch, waiting for Spike, slightly nervous for their date.

‘This doesn’t feel right,’ she thought. ‘The only serious relationship I’ve ever had was with Riley… and I guess Parker would count, too, even though that should’ve never gotten as serious as it did.’ She sighed and looked down. ‘Are you really willing to open your heart up to someone new? Someone you hardly know?’

Spike pulled up in her driveway, and she smiled softly.

‘What the hell, Summers- you’re only young once,’ she said to herself before standing up and walking towards his car. Spike got out, dressed in khakis and a black button-down shirt, his hair slightly tousled and curly. ‘He’s really good-looking, isn’t he?’

“You look smashing, pet,” he said, walking around to the side of the car and opening the door for her. She raised an eyebrow, smirking. “What?”

“Sorry, I’m just thinking about how funny it is to see you be chivalrous,” she said, giggling at his hurt look. “Only kidding, Spike- thank you.” She got in, closing the door for herself while he walked around the car once again and got in on his side. He started the car and backed out of the driveway before driving towards town.

“So, was Harmony at school today?” he asked curiously, and she shook her head.

“Nope, she was playing hooky again,” she replied before looking at him. “Why? You’ve asked me the last two days about her.”

“I’m just worried about her,” he partially lied, shrugging. “We broke up, and I don’t want to see her hurt herself or anything.” She nodded and looked outside as he sighed. “And I told her that I was interested in you.” She froze and quickly looked at him. “So if she freaks out on you, sorry.”

“Hold up just a second, buddy,” she said, crossing her arms. “You told Harmony that you like me?” He nodded sheepishly and looked straight ahead, through the windshield, trying his hardest not to see the surprise and anger in Buffy’s eyes. “You do realize she’s going to make my life a living hell, don’t you?”

“I didn’t mean to say your name, luv,” he replied. “It happened before I could stop myself.” She looked down, covering her face with her hands and mumbling something. “What was that, Goldilocks? Couldn’t hear you.”

“This had better be worth it,” she said quietly, and he looked at her, smiling.

“You don’t think it will be?” he asked, and she managed a weak smile.

“For your sake, I hope it is,” she said, and he chuckled as he continued driving.

* * * * *

“You really didn’t have to pay for dinner, Spike,” Buffy said as they exited the Italian restaurant she had went to with Riley before Homecoming. “But thank you.”

“It was my pleasure, princess,” he said, taking her hand in his and lacing their fingers together as they began walking through town. “So, has it been worth it so far?”

“Yes,” she answered, smiling. “You’re gaining points in my book.”

“There’s a point system?” he asked jokingly, and she leaned into his side as he wrapped his arm around her waist instead.

“There might be,” she answered, and he chuckled.

“Am I doing alright so far?” he asked. “Am I proving to you that I can be as good as the great ponce you used to date?”

“Don’t talk about Riley like that,” she said, frowning. “He’s a genuinely good guy, Spike, and I wish you’d stop giving him such a hard time.”

“Probably should,” he replied, shrugging. “I did take his best toy away.”

“If you’re referring to me, I’m not a toy,” she said firmly, and he lightly kissed her temple, sending a slight chill through her.

“No, you’re not,” he agreed. “You’re something much better than that.” She looked at him and saw sincerity in his eyes, which was a little disconcerting for her.

‘If I didn’t know any better, I’d say he’s falling fast for me,’ she thought. ‘I don’t want this to be so serious, not yet.’

“So, why do you go to an all-boys school?” she asked, doing her part to steer the conversation into more neutral and lighthearted territory.

“Why do you go to an all-girls school?” he asked jokingly, and she smiled. “Guess it was the logical choice for me. My dad went there, so I pretty much had to, too. Besides, how often do wealthy people go to public schools?”

“About as often as poor people go to private schools,” she said, and he looked at her. “What? I’m not poor, but I’m not rich, either. I know where I stand and how lucky I am to attend Holy Angels- it’s an honor to attend such a prestigious school.”

“Isn’t money an issue, though?” he asked. “I can’t imagine having to pay off the tuition there when money isn’t as… expendable.” She shrugged, sighing.

“We get by, my mom and I,” she answered. “It’s difficult, but life’s supposed to be that way. Otherwise, it’s boring, and without challenges, life serves no point.” He smiled and nodded. “Sorry, I’m getting weird, aren’t I?”

“No, it’s nice to have a conversation like this,” he said. “Harmony wasn’t one to talk about important stuff, and I kind of… miss just talking to someone like this.” She smiled softly and looked around, freezing as she saw Riley emerge out of a store across the street, only to stare directly at her, shocked. Spike felt her tense up and followed her gaze, smirking when he saw Riley. “Uh oh, the Jolly Geeky Giant looks brassed off.”

“Shut up,” she said quietly, frowning when Riley quickly walked away in the opposite direction as them.

“What does it matter? Not like he could hear me, anyways,” he said. “Come on, pet- let’s go.”

“Will you do me a favor?” she asked, looking at him. He raised an eyebrow. “Please stop treating Riley the way you do. He doesn’t deserve it, and if you care about me at all, you’ll do this for me.” He studied her eyes for a long moment before sighing.

“Fine,” he replied, and she smiled. “I must be whipped.”

“Not yet,” she said quietly, and he grinned as they continued to walk to his car.

* * * * *

When they pulled up in front of her house, she took a deep breath and looked at him.

“Want me to escort you to your door?” he asked, and she smiled.

“I can make it on my own,” she replied. “But thanks.”

“Isn’t it more comfortable to have a good-night kiss by your door instead of in the car?” he asked, pouting, and she giggled quietly, slightly blushing. “Fine, luv, the car it is.” He leaned over and kissed her softly, and she smiled against his lips before pulling back.

“I had a nice time tonight,” she said. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” he said, grazing her cheek. “I’ll see you at work tomorrow, yeah?”

“Definitely,” she replied, leaning over quickly to kiss him one last time before getting out of the car and walking to her door, letting herself inside. He grinned before driving away, still feeling as if her lips were on his.

Joyce watched Buffy walk inside, smirking, and raised an eyebrow.

“How was your night?” Joyce asked, and Buffy stopped by the stairs, looking at her mom.

“It was really fun,” she answered. “Much different than dates with Riley.”

“Am I ever going to meet Spike?” her mom asked, smiling warmly. “Or is he that horrible? You know, one of those guys you can’t take home to introduce me to? With a nickname like Spike, I must admit I’m curious to find out how he is.”

“He’s wonderful, Mom,” Buffy said, smiling. “I’ll see you in the morning.”

Joyce watched Buffy walk upstairs and sighed quietly.

‘I haven’t seen her this happy since before Parker,’ she thought before watching TV again.

* * * * *

Buffy arrived at school the next morning in a good mood, excited to tell Willow about her date with Spike. But when she saw the word Whore written on her locker in red lipstick, she froze, tears forming in her eyes.

‘Who would do something like this?’ she thought, biting her lip to try to keep her tears at bay.

“You really thought I’d let you get away with stealing my boyfriend?” Harmony asked, appearing beside Buffy, quickly grabbing her ponytail and yanking her head back, straining her neck in the process. “No one takes what’s mine, especially not some loser like you.”

“He doesn’t want you,” Buffy said through gritted teeth, grabbing Harmony’s wrist tightly, which made Harmony let go of Buffy’s hair. “The only thing he wanted you for was sex, and since apparently you’re not that good at it, he moved on to someone better.”

“Why am I not surprised that you already put out for him?” Harmony asked sharply. “A little slut like you will sleep with anything just to try to make yourself feel better.” Harmony stepped forward, dangerously close to Buffy. “You will never be popular, no matter who you fuck, got me?” Buffy crossed her arms, tilting her head. “If you two stay together-”

“You’ll what? Get in a catfight with me?” Buffy asked. “Grow up, Harmony.” She opened her locker, but Harmony slammed her fist into it, closing it.

“You’re trash, bitch, and the only reason why Spike would go for you is because you’re easy,” Harmony said, hissing.

“Well, he went for you, so I wouldn’t be surprised,” Buffy replied, shrugging. “You’re not going to win here, Harmony- you don’t scare me.”

“Just wait,” she said sternly. “I’m going to get him back, and I can promise you that I will destroy you in the process.”

“Give it your best shot,” Buffy said in a challenging tone, successfully opening her locker again.

“Oh, I will,” Harmony said before walking away. Buffy took a deep breath and grabbed her books before closing her locker and looking at the lipstick on it. She ran her hand over it, smearing the word until it was undistinguishable.

“She’s not worth it,” she said quietly before walking to her first class of the day.

* * * * *

Meanwhile, on the other side of town, Spike arrived at his locker a few minutes after the last bell rang, signaling the beginning of first hour, and grabbed some textbooks. He was surprised when he saw a shadow cast over both his locker and the one beside his.

“She’ll never be yours,” Riley said, and Spike turned around, facing him with an amused expression.

“Who? The lunch lady?” Spike asked jokingly. “She’s all yours.”

“You know who I mean,” Riley said sharply, crossing his arms. “She’ll never love you, Spike- you’re beneath her.”

“What can I say? My girl likes being on top,” he replied, and Riley clenched both his jaw and his fists.

“If you hurt her, you know I’m going to kill you, right?” Riley asked, and surprisingly, Spike could tell how sincere he was.

“Are you implying that you accept the fact she’s with me now?” Spike asked, and Riley looked away.

“She’s made her choice- not like I can change her mind,” Riley said quietly before looking at Spike again with fire in his eyes. “But I’m not lying when I say I will beat you beyond recognition if you do anything to hurt her, got me?”

“I wouldn’t worry,” Spike said, shutting his locker. “If anything, she’ll be the one who hurts me, not the other way around.” He walked away, leaving Riley to stare after him with an angry, but surprised, expression.