Author's Chapter Notes:
I really need to thank everyone who left reviews for chapter 1- I was shocked beyond the telling of it to see how many people left one. When I said a lot of reviews, I meant about 5, not five times as many as that LOL I was really sheepish of posting this story because I didn’t think a lot of people would be interested in it, so I’m really happy… ecstatic, really, that everyone seems to enjoy it so far. As a major thank-you to those who left reviews, I’ll be posting chapter 2 today and chapter 3 tomorrow. Thanks once again!:)
Spike and Xander walked into the local Doublemeat Palace about a week later after playing poker at Liam’s house. Spike was stunned to see Buffy working behind the counter, taking an order from an old woman. He quickly got in line behind the woman, and Xander raised an eyebrow, confused.

“What’s going on?” Xander asked, and Spike motioned to Buffy. “Come on, man- don’t be a jerk.”

“Why not? She was a bitch to me,” he replied. “And who wants to pass up a chance like this?” The woman in front of him stepped aside, and Spike stepped forward, grinning as Buffy looked at him and froze. “Well, hello, princess.”

“What’re you doing here?” she asked, angry. “Shouldn’t you be eating at a country club or something?”

“Hi, I’m Xander,” Spike’s friend said, shaking Buffy’s hand. “Can I have the Doublemeat Medley?”

“Sure,” she said, entering it into the cash register. “What would you like to drink?”

“Surprise me,” he replied, smiling, and she raised an eyebrow. “Sorry, I’ll have a Coke.”

“Fantastic,” she mumbled, going to fill up a cup with soda before turning to hand it to him. “That’ll be $4.80.” He took out his wallet, but Spike put his hand in front of Xander to stop him. “What?”

“You haven’t taken my order yet,” Spike said, smirking. “Now, let’s see, what do I want?”

“Spike,” Xander said in a warning tone. “It’s late.”

“It’s only ten, so settle down,” Spike said, looking at the combo list above Buffy before shrugging. “The whelp and I will take twenty Doublemeat Medleys and thirty orders of the Doublemeat Nuggets.” She crossed her arms, tilting her head. “What’s wrong? Can’t service me, luv?” He grinned. “I’ve heard you’re very talented at servicing guys.”

“I would never touch you,” she said, furious. “I think you guys should go.”

“Come on, pet,” Spike replied. “Can’t turn away paying customers, can you?”

“I can do whatever the hell I want to,” she shot back, and Spike chuckled.

“You think you’re so high and mighty, don’t you?” he asked, leaning on the counter. “But you’re not all that great, are you? Working at a place like this?” He frowned. “Must be a punishment or something for spending all Daddy’s money.”

“Think whatever you want,” she said. “I don’t have to justify myself to an asshole like you.” Xander looked at his friend, noticing that his jaw was clenched. “Xander, your order will be up in a minute.” She turned to walk away, but Spike reached across the counter and grabbed her arm, turning her around. “What?”

“Why would you work here?” he asked, looking around. “This place is horrible.”

“Not all of us have money to pay for school,” she replied. “Some of us have to work for what we want.”

“You’re working for college money?” Xander asked, and she shook her head.

“I’m still paying off my high school tuition,” she said, looking down. “My mom couldn’t afford to send me to Holy Angels, so I offered to work and pay for it on my own.” Xander looked at her admirably and was surprised to see Spike doing the same thing before he smirked.

“So, Buffy’s poor, is she?” he asked. “Can’t say I expected that. Now I can understand why only a loser like Finn would want you.” Xander flinched as Buffy grabbed his soda and threw it in Spike’s face, grinning when he sputtered, trying to quickly wipe off the Coke that was trickling down his face and upper body. “Bitch!”

“Let’s go, Spike,” Xander said, grabbing the blonde’s arm before he had the chance to do something stupid. “Have a good night, Buffy.” She watched him pull Spike outside and to a car, smiling as she saw Spike yell something at Xander and throw his arms up in anger. She breathed a sigh of relief as she saw their car drive off.

“I really hate guys like that,” a girl named Amy said, appearing beside Buffy. “They don’t understand why some people have to get jobs like this just to make ends meet.” Buffy nodded, cleaning off the counter. “It’s bad enough without having people come in here and tell us how pathetic we are.”

“We’re not pathetic,” Buffy said firmly. “We’re worth a lot more than they ever will be.”

* * * * *

“You’re incredible, do you know that?” Xander asked as he drove Spike home. “Do you realize how cruel you were?” Spike mumbled something. “What?”

“She deserved it,” he said. “I’m sick of girls pretending that they’re so amazing when in reality, they have nothing to offer.”

“You really think she’s that bad?” Xander asked. “I think she seemed pretty alright.”

“Yeah? Even when she threw your soda at me?” Spike asked, his voice raising a couple of levels.

“I just mean that I’d rather spend time with a girl who has a good head on her shoulders and who works hard for what she wants instead of a girl who’s lacking all things intellectual and wastes her dad’s money on shoes,” Xander explained. “Like Harmony.” Spike quickly looked at him.

“Are you telling me that you think I’d be better off with a girl like Buffy?” he asked, and Xander shrugged.

“At least you could hold a conversation with her,” he said. “Besides, you’ve said it yourself- Harmony’s a waste of time. She’s just a plaything for you.” Spike looked outside, frowning. “Don’t tell me you actually see yourself being with her ten years down the road.”

“I sure as hell don’t see myself with Buffy,” Spike muttered, and Xander smiled.

“Well, you never know,” he said. “She could end up being the woman of your dreams.”

“Are you drunk?” Spike asked, looking at Xander once again. “Or stoned?”

“I’m just saying that I think Buffy’s much better than Harmony,” he replied, stopping at a stoplight. “And I think you feel the same way.”

“Like hell,” Spike said sternly. “I could never be with a girl like her. Never.”

“Ah, yes, Spike’s getting defensive,” Xander said, grinning. “You’re in denial that you may have feelings for a vivacious blonde named Buffy.”

“Shut your gob,” Spike said loudly. “You have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“Fine, I don’t,” Xander said, raising his hands in surrender before driving again. “Besides, she’s got a boyfriend, anyway.”

“Riley Finn? He’s not even competition,” Spike replied, and Xander looked at him.

“So you plan on going for her, then? ‘Competition’?” he asked. Spike looked out the window and sighed.

“I’d rather see her with me than with him,” he admitted before clenching his fists. “But I don’t want her, Xander, and you’d do well to remember that.”

“Right, gotcha,” Xander said, smiling. “No more talk of how much you want to sleep with her.” Spike smacked his arm. “Hey! I’m driving, buddy!”

“Just keep quiet about Buffy, alright?” Spike asked. “The last thing I need is to hear Harmony bitch about me even talking to another girl.”

“Your wish is my command, captain,” Xander said, giving him a mock salute.

“Shut up, whelp,” Spike said, smiling.