Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you to everyone who has read/reviewed up until this point! It really means a lot that people are liking this!:)
A week later, Buffy, Willow, and Tara showed up at Fred’s house for her eighteenth birthday party. Fred greeted the girls with hugs and let them inside, leading them towards the small crowd of people filling up her living room. Buffy handed her the gift she brought.

“Happy birthday, Fred,” she said, smiling. “Can you believe you’re finally an adult?”

“Yeah, you can vote now,” Willow said excitedly, quickly looking down when everyone gave her a weird look. “Sorry, I think the government and politics are cool.” Fred smiled and looked at Buffy.

“It seems surreal,” Fred replied as she accepted the gifts Willow and Tara gave her. “Thank you so much!”

“Only the best for the birthday girl,” a voice said behind Buffy. She turned and was face-to-face with a smirking Spike. “Well, hello, pet. Fancy seeing you here.”

“What’re you doing here?” she asked quietly, and Willow looked at the guy, realizing he must be Spike.

“I’m Willow,” the redhead said, shaking his hand. “And this is Tara.” He shook the other girl’s hand, too.

“Nice to meet you both,” he replied. “I’m Spike.” He focused on Buffy once again. “How’ve you been?”

“Fine,” she said, frowning and turning to look at her friends before walking away. Spike raised an eyebrow, confused.

“She’s probably going to try to find Riley,” Willow said quietly, and Spike nodded.

“Yeah, guess so,” he replied. “So, Red, does she talk about me?” She saw the hopeful expression on his face and smiled.

“That’s for you to find out,” she said, linking her arm with Tara’s and going into the crowd of talking teenagers. Spike grinned and decided to go in the direction Buffy went.

* * * * *

She walked through the house and into the kitchen, going into the refrigerator to grab a soda. When she suddenly felt hands squeeze her hips, she shrieked and spun around, not surprised to see Spike there.

“I could’ve hit you,” she said, trying to get her breathing to calm down. “Why did you do that?”

“Wanted to say hi,” he replied, chuckling. “Especially after you so rudely left in the middle of our conversation before.”

“Didn’t want to talk,” she said, shrugging. “The last thing I need is for Riley to see you and I around each other.”

“Where is the great oaf?” he asked. “I haven’t seen him.”

“I just called him,” she said. “Apparently, he’s on his way.”

“Great,” he said. “Looks like we’ve got some time to ourselves, then.” She raised an eyebrow. “Want to blow out my candles?” She slapped him across the face instantly, not giving Spike a chance to stop her. “Oww! Bloody hell, woman! What’s your problem?”

“You are!” she said in a low tone, practically hissing. “What the hell do you want from me?”

“Well, I want you,” he admitted, and her eyes widened. “Don’t look so damn surprised- it should be pretty clear what I want.”

“And you think you’ll ever get a chance?” she asked, upset. “I would never try being with you, so stop wasting your time and go back to your bimbo girlfriend.”

“I don’t want Harmony,” he replied, and she scoffed.

“Well, looks like she’s the only thing you’re going to get,” she said. “Because you’re not going to have me, Spike, understand?”

“No, listen to me, luv,” he replied, but she turned and began walking away. He grabbed her arm and turned her around. “Don’t walk away from me!”

“Why are you here?” she asked, crossing her arms. “Honestly? Why did you come here tonight?”

“It’s Fred’s birthday,” he said, putting his hands in his pockets. “She’s Wesley’s girlfriend, and I like the bird. Got a problem with that?”

“I’ve got a problem with you breathing,” she replied, and he clenched his jaw, looking away. “You were really nice in the bookstore, Spike, and a part of me almost thought you’d continue to be like that, but you’re not.”

“I can be nice, Buffy, if you’ll give me a chance,” he said, almost pleadingly.

“No, you can’t,” she said, looking down. “You’ll continue to be Mr. Popularity who flirts shamelessly with girls just to get into their pants.” She looked at him again. “You’ll never change.” She turned and walked away before Spike could stop her. He groaned in frustration and opened up Fred’s refrigerator, finding a bottle of beer and opening it.

* * * * *

Towards the end of the night, Buffy was happy that she hadn’t seen Spike at all. She stayed in the living room, talking with her friends, hoping that he’d stay away.

‘And I’m shocked he did,’ she thought as she headed for the front door with Willow and Tara. After saying their good-byes to Fred, they headed outside towards Tara’s car and saw Spike fumbling with his keys, trying to unlock his car door. Buffy took a deep breath and walked over to him, hoping maybe to apologize for being so mean in the kitchen. When he looked at her with anger in his eyes, she took a small step back from him.

“Go away,” he growled, finally managing to open the door.

“I’m sorry for what I said before,” she said quietly, wrapping her arms around herself for warmth. “It was uncalled for.”

“I don’t sodding care,” he replied, getting inside his car. “You’re a bitch- I wasn’t surprised.” She frowned and noticed that his eyes looked a little glassy and unfocused.

“Are you alright?” she asked, becoming worried.

“Bloody dandy,” he answered, putting the key in the ignition and starting the car.

“Spike, you’re drunk,” she said, and he looked at her, raising an eyebrow.

“You just figured that out, Goldilocks?” he asked. “Guess you’re more stupid than I thought.” She leaned into his car and tried grabbing the keys, but he pushed her back, causing her to stumble a bit. Her eyes widened as he slammed the door and sped off. Willow and Tara instantly ran over to check on her.

“Are you okay?” Willow asked, concerned, and Buffy took a deep breath.

“I’m fine,” she said. “But I have a feeling he won’t be.”