Author's Chapter Notes:
First, I want to thank everyone who has been reading and reviewing- it still means a lot:) Second, thank you to whoever nominated me at the Vampire's Kiss Awards- that completely shocked me! And third, don't forget that nominations for the Fool For Love Awards are still being accepted until the 20th of July. Ashlee, PJ, and I look forward to judging, so send in those nominations!

http://www.livejournal.com/community/_fool_for_love_/
About a week later, Buffy finished training Spike and was able to work on her own once again, letting him try his hand at serving customers by himself. She watched him take an order and giggled when the register wouldn’t open. He looked at her, somewhat helpless, and she walked over to him, pressing a button, which opened the register.

“You’re doing fine,” she said, gently squeezing his arm. “I’m only five feet away if you need me.” He smiled at her, and she returned to her register to take a couple of orders. When Riley suddenly was standing in front of her, she grinned. “Hey! I thought we weren’t meeting up until 8.” He showed her his watch, and she sighed with relief. “Thank god. I’m so sick of working for the day.” She took off the hat she had to wear and set it on the counter. “Want anything to eat?”

“How about a soda and fries?” he asked, and she nodded, going to get his food before handing it to him. “How much is it?”

“My treat,” she said, waving it off. “Nothing but the best greasy food for my boyfriend.” He chuckled. “Why don’t you have a seat, and I’ll come over to you when I’m all done?” He nodded and walked away, going towards a booth and sitting down.

Spike looked at Buffy once his line had depleted.

“You’re leaving?” he asked. “Who’s going to help me when I screw up again?”

“Well, there’s always Manny,” she said. “Or Amy. She can probably spare some time from the drive-thru if you get in a bind.” He frowned. “What? Are you trying to guilt me into staying here longer in case you forget to press a button again?” He pouted, and she sighed. “Ten minutes. After that, you’re on your own, pal.” He chuckled and leaned back on the counter, watching as she closed her register for the night. “You did well today for being on your own. I remember my first day alone- I short-changed at least two people, and I’m fairly certain no one got the right order.”

“But you’re still here, so it must’ve been okay,” he replied, and she shrugged.

“I think Manny could recognize how badly I needed the job,” she said. “My financial situation was dire, to say the least.” She looked down and quietly added, “Still is.”

“So, what’re you and the great ponce doing tonight?” he asked curiously, hoping he didn’t sound jealous at all.

“My friend Willow is having a small movie night, so we’ll probably go there,” she said, looking at him. “What about you?”

“I don’t know,” he replied. “Harmony’s having a party, so I’ll inevitably go there and be bored off my ass.” He hesitated before looking at her. “Do you want to go, too?”

“We’re from two very different caste systems,” she joked lightly. “Your girlfriend wouldn’t even let me in the house, let alone allow me to stay. Her and I don’t exactly mix.” He nodded and looked down. “But thanks.”

“Maybe a rain-check?” he asked, and she managed a small smile.

“Not to Harmony’s house,” she replied before clocking out. “Well, I’m going to leave- Riley’s almost done eating.” He sighed and nodded. “But have fun tonight, and I think we work together on Sunday, right?”

“Yeah,” he answered, putting his hands in his pockets. “I’ll see you then.”

“Bye, Spike,” she said, walking out from behind the counter and to Riley, kissing his cheek as he stood up. Spike watched them leave the building, all the while wishing that things would be different between them.

* * * * *

“So, how was work tonight?” Riley asked as they got in his car. “I couldn’t help but notice how friendly you and Spike seem to be.” She raised an eyebrow as she looked at him.

“We get along, yeah,” she said. “But we’re not friends, by any means. We’re civil when we need to be- that’s about it.” He started the car.

“I think something’s up with him, Buffy,” he said quietly, looking at the steering wheel. “He hasn’t said a word to me in a while, which when you consider how often he used to make fun of me, things seem very off. Nice, but off.” She looked out the window. “I think he likes you.”

“I doubt it,” she lied, pretending to be stunned. “Him and I are very dissimilar.”

“Doesn’t matter,” he replied, looking at her, insecurity lacing his words. “I wouldn’t put it past him.” He paused. “I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s trying to take you away from me, just because he can.”

“He can’t take me away from you,” she said, becoming upset. “I love you.”

“I love you, too,” he said. “But I can’t deny the fact that he can offer you a lot more than I can.”

“Where is this coming from?” she asked loudly. “Are you seriously saying that he’s better than you?”

“He is,” he replied sternly. “Everyone knows it.”

“I love you, Riley,” she said, taking his hand in hers. “Money, power, coveted spot on the soccer team- none of that matters to me and never will. Spike isn’t even half as amazing as you, and if you can’t understand that, then I feel very sorry for you.” He squeezed her hand and sighed.

“I love you, too,” he said sadly. “I just hope it’s enough.” Her features softened as she leaned over to softly kiss him.

“You have nothing to worry about,” she replied. “I promise.” He nodded and pulled out of the parking lot. She looked out the window again and thought about what he had said.

‘There’s no way Spike seriously likes me,’ she thought. ‘He’s mean, and a jerk, and he… has been really nice to me lately.’ She paused and shut her eyes, frowning. ‘Maybe Riley’s right. Wherein which… why would Spike want me? He’s got Harmony, pushy queen of slut-town. Isn’t that enough?’ She sighed. ‘But knowing Spike, he won’t stop until he gets what he wants, and if I’m what he wants, what’s going to happen?’ She looked at Riley and noticed the fact that he was gripping the wheel with a somewhat angry expression. ‘This isn’t going to end well.’