Author's Chapter Notes:
Due to the fact that my Internet is out indefinitely, this might be the last update I post until sometime next week- I'm so sorry! But this is the chapter all of you have been waiting for since the beginning, so I went to my sister's house to post it LOL I hope you enjoy it, and be sure to review to make my day better!:)
Buffy had just gotten home from school the next day when she heard the doorbell ring. She put her backpack down and opened the door, surprised when Riley pushed right past her, letting himself in.

‘Hello to you, too,’ she thought. ‘Since when does he just barge in, uninvited?’ She sighed. ‘I wonder if Spike said something to him, because if he did, that would explain why Riley looks as if someone punched him in the stomach.’

“What’s wrong?” she asked, worried. “Did something happen at school?” He turned to face her, crossing his arms as a furious expression covered his face.

“Why were you at Spike’s house last night?” he asked, and she froze, stunned. “What? Didn’t think I’d find out? How stupid do you think I am, Buffy? I see the way he looks at you, and I know you have feelings for him, too.”

“What’re you talking about?” she asked, becoming upset. “I don’t like Spike, not as more than a friend.”

“So you two are definitely friends now?” he asked sharply.

“Yeah,” she said quietly. “What does it matter? I can be friends with anyone I want to, and it’s not like he’s ever been that bad to me.” She paused. “Well, I guess he’s been a jerk, but that’s just the rebellious façade he has.” She hesitated and looked down. “How did you know I was there?”

“I followed you after work,” he admitted sheepishly, and her jaw dropped in indignation.

“You followed me?” she asked in a low tone. “You really don’t trust me, do you?”

“I trust you,” he said, frowning. “It’s Spike that I don’t trust.” She nodded sadly and looked away. “I don’t understand how you can be friends with someone who disgusts me and will stop at nothing to piss me off.”

“Because I’ve seen how kind he can be,” she said, looking at him. “I know he’s a bastard sometimes, but after getting to know him more through work, I’ve been able to see more of his true personality.” He sighed and clenched his jaw.

“I don’t think this is going to work,” he said, and her eyes slowly widened as she realized what he was saying. “I can’t be with someone who won’t stick by my side and support me.”

“What the hell are you talking about?” she asked, angry. “I’ve been nothing but supportive.”

“If you supported me, you wouldn’t even talk to him,” he replied, putting his hands in his pockets. “He’s made my life a living hell since freshman year, Buffy- seeing you with him kills me more than I can bear, and I just can’t-”

“Go,” she said, her fists clenching. “Just go.” His expression softened as he stepped forward to hug her, but she backed up, pushing him away. “You really must not love me if this is why you’re going to end our relationship.”

“I love you,” he said with conviction. “But I can’t handle you being friends with him.” He went to the door and paused as he opened it, his back to her. “I always knew you’d go for a better guy.” Before she could respond, he left, slamming the door behind him.

Buffy held back the tears in her eyes for a moment as she went to dial a familiar number in her phone.

“Hello?”

“Willow, can you come over?” Buffy asked quietly before beginning to sob.

* * * * *

Spike grabbed his ringing cell phone as he drove home from school, cursing as he nearly dropped it before answering it.

“Hello?” he asked, annoyed as he noticed that Harmony flashed on the phone’s screen.

“Hi, blondie bear,” she said cheerfully. “What are we doing tonight?”

“I’m working on an English paper,” he replied sternly. “Since it’s a school night, you silly bint.”

“So what? You’ve never done papers before,” she said, and he could tell she was pouting. “You just pay someone else to write one for you.”

“Yeah, well, I’m turning over a new leaf,” he said. “But feel free to go out.”

“Maybe I will,” she said sharply. “With a guy who actually cares about me and takes me out to nice places, something you haven’t done in a very long time, Spike.” He sighed and shook his head, becoming more irritated.

‘I should’ve just told her to get stuffed a long time ago,’ he thought. ‘What did I ever see in her?’ He paused. ‘I blame it on my hormones.’ He caught himself before he could chuckle. ‘Horniness is a disease, I’d wager, especially when it leads you to a trollop like Harmony.’

“I hear Billy Fordham likes you,” he said flippantly. “Why don’t you call him up?”

“Are you seriously suggesting I go out with someone else?” she asked.

“Luv, you’ve been going out with other people for a while now,” he replied. “So far be it for me to tell you not to because you’ll continue shagging other guys behind my back.” He sighed. “Well, not behind my back because I’ve known all along, but you get what I mean.”

“You’re making a big mistake, Spike,” she said, angry. “You’ll never find someone as good as me.”

“Oh, I think I will,” he replied, smirking. “In fact, I already have.”

“Who?” she asked, shocked. “Who can possibly be better than me?”

“Oh, just some girl I know,” he said. “Buffy Summers.” She gasped loudly, causing him to chuckle.

Her?” she asked. “There’s no way she’s better than me, Spike! She’s poor, and a bookworm, and-”

“Utterly adorable,” he said, stopping at a stoplight. “She’s ten times better than you, Harm- I’m sorry.”

“Please don’t do this, Spikie,” she said, sounding heartbroken.

“It’s for the best,” he replied. “Good luck, Harmony, and maybe I’ll see you around.” He hung up and tossed his phone onto the passenger seat. As he realized what had just happened, he grinned widely. “Ding dong, the witch is dead.” He chuckled more as the light turned green, allowing him to speed off towards home.