Chapter 10

Buffy and Spike got closer over the next a few weeks. While their relationship was kept a secret, they planned to tell everyone when the time was right.

Together, they walked into the house, and stopped suddenly when they saw their parents standing in the kitchen, casting troubled looks in Buffy’s direction.

“Honey,” Joyce said softly, “there’s something you need to know.”

Buffy didn’t like the sound of that. She glanced at Spike, who was just as confused. “What’s going on?” she asked shakily, turning back to her mother.

Joyce took her hand and pulled her into the living room, where a man was waiting for them on the couch. He stood as they walked in.

Buffy didn’t know who he was, but he seemed really familiar. She gasped when realization hit her. Her mother had showed her pictures of this man when she was younger. He was older now, but somehow, he looked about the same.

“Dad?”

He nodded grimly. “Hello, Buffy. I see you’ve really grown up.”

Buffy couldn’t believe that her father was standing there. This was the man that left her when she was only a year old. She knew how much his leaving hurt her mother, and was infuriated that he had the nerve to show his face around here at all. “Yeah, well a lot can happen in seventeen years,” she spat harshly, crossing her arms over her chest. “What are you doing here?”

Hank was startled by her tone. He expected her to be happier about his presence. “I wanted to see my daughter. I’m not very pleased with how you were raised.”

“How exactly was she raised, Hank?” Joyce demanded. “You walked out on us, so that doesn’t give you the right to judge how I raised my daughter.”

Buffy smiled at that.

“Well, I expected more than this. I left because I knew it was the right thing to do. I had to be on my own for a while and I trusted you to take care of our daughter, but I hear that she has gotten into a lot of trouble. Sleeping with boys that she hardly knows and even getting pregnant? I should have come sooner when I found that out.”

Buffy was stunned. “How do you know any of that?”

Hank turned his gaze back on his daughter. “I had someone watch you for the last few years, so I would know how you were. I must say, I’m not impressed by your behavior.”

Buffy surged with anger. “What? You had someone spy on me? What gives you the right?”

“I am still your father,” Hank replied coldly. “I had every right. I was only looking out for you. I was very disappointed to find out all that you have done.”

Buffy felt tears form in her eyes, but she wouldn’t give him the satisfaction of seeing her cry.

Joyce put a comforting hand on her shoulder. “I agree that Buffy has made some mistakes, but she has also learned from them. I’m very proud of the woman that she is becoming.”

Buffy looked at her mom in shock, then graced her with a proud smile.

Hank just ignored them as his gaze finally landed on Spike. “Who is this? Her punk boyfriend?”

Spike wanted to say something at that, but Giles placed his hand on Spike’s arm and shook his head.

Joyce decided to speak up again. “He is Buffy’s step-brother, Hank. Rupert and I are married. We have been for eleven years now,” she explained.

“Her step-brother? And that means what exactly? That doesn’t mean they haven’t been fucking and probably right under your noses, too.”

Buffy and Spike were both angry that he had the nerve to say that in front of their parents.

Giles stepped forward. “If you are going to show disrespect to my family, I advise you to leave my house. These are good kids and they have nothing but a sibling love for one another. I suggest you don’t make those comments.”

Spike and Buffy exchanged guilty looks now.

Hank laughed. “I can say whatever the hell I want.” He looked back at Joyce. “You think Buffy has really learned from her mistakes? I happen to know that she has been dating her so called step-brother. It doesn’t sound like she has learned a whole lot.”

Buffy was certain she had never hated her father as much as she did at that moment. She was gutted at the surprised look on her mother’s face.

Giles just cleaned his glasses and remained silent.

Spike lowered his head and stared at the floor.

“Is this true?” Joyce asked after a long beat.

They exchanged another glance.

Buffy took a deep breath before she turned her attention back on her mother. “I’m sorry; we were going to tell you. We just didn’t have a chance.” She glared in Hank’s direction.

Joyce was suddenly speechless.

“Some parenting, Joyce. You don’t even know when your own daughter is hiding something from you. If I never left, things would be different. Buffy wouldn’t have grown up to be such a slut.”

Giles pulled Spike away before he could do something rash and stepped in front of Hank instead. “Don’t you ever call my daughter that again. I think you should leave, Mr. Summers. You’ve caused enough trouble,” he stated in a surprisingly calm voice.

“Your daughter? I don’t recall you giving any sperm.”

Giles stared, appalled.

“You’ve got it all wrong,” Buffy spat. “A father is someone who is there for you. Someone that takes care of you and loves you. Someone that would protect you with their life. That’s what Giles is to me. He’s more of a father than you could ever be. You may be blood, but Giles is my family. You should probably leave now, Hank. You’re really not welcome here.”

Spike placed a proud arm around her shoulder, scowling at the older man.

Hank decided then that nothing was worth this. “Fine, I’m leaving and you’ll never have to see me again. I just hope you can handle the little whore,” he said to Joyce, then walked out of the house.

Spike forced himself to stand still and not hit the bastard right there for saying such things about Buffy. Hank wasn’t important right now.

Buffy couldn’t keep the tears in any longer. She buried her face in Spike’s chest the second he was gone.

He wrapped his arms around her as she cried her heart out.