Chapter 11

Buffy and Spike waited in her room later that night, while Joyce and Giles talked downstairs.

Buffy sighed and leaned her head on Spike’s shoulder. He closed his arm around her firmly.

“I can’t believe he had someone spy on me and he just now decided to make his presence known.” She raised her head and looked at him, tears running down her face. “Why didn’t he want me, Spike?”

Spike shook his head and wiped her tears away with his thumb. “He’s a bloody idiot. Don’t listen to anything he said, Buffy. He doesn’t know you.”

She nodded, feeling slightly better with his words. She was about to respond, when someone cleared their throat.

They looked up together. Joyce stood in the doorway

“I think we need to talk,” she said, moving into the room.

They both sighed. This conversation had been inevitable.

Spike took her hand in his, prepared for anything.

“How long have you been seeing each other?”

Buffy took a deep breath. “It’s been a little over a month.”

Joyce nodded calmly. “Were you planning on telling us?”

Buffy nodded as well. “We were going to tell you today, actually. It was killing me keeping this a secret from you, but I knew you wouldn’t take it well.”

Joyce released the breath out that she was holding. “You two have practically grown up together. We have been a family for so long and I always thought you only saw each other as siblings.”

Spike gave Buffy’s hand a squeeze. “We did, Joyce. We’re just not little kids anymore. As you get older, feelings tend to develop. I always felt this way for Buffy; it just took me so long to realize it.”

“So, this is serious then?”

The two blondes exchanged looks and nodded.

“Yeah, it’s pretty serious. I love him, Mom.”

Spike smiled at her and turned back to Joyce. “I love her, too. I would never do anything to hurt her.”

Joyce knew sincerity when she saw it, so she nodded again in agreement. “I know you won’t. This is just a lot to take in, but you’re right. You two aren’t little kids anymore; I’m finally starting to realize that. I just want you to be careful.”

They agreed.

“We’ll be fine.”

Joyce graced her daughter with a smile. Despite her words, it was hard to believe that she wasn’t a little girl anymore. “Well, I’m sure Rupert would want to talk to both of you when you’re ready. He’s just concerned, but I think he’ll be okay with it. I just want you both to be happy. If you’re happy with each other, then I accept it.”

Buffy smiled in return and gave her a hug. “Thank you, Mom. That means a lot to us.”

Joyce held her daughter a little while longer before letting her go, then giving Spike the same treatment. She released him after a few seconds. “I love you both very much. I was so proud of you tonight, Buffy. I know how hard it must have been to see your father after all this time. You proved that you can handle yourself in a bad situation. I know that you’re not my little girl anymore.”

Buffy’s eyes welled with tears again. “I’ll always be your little girl. That will never change.”

Joyce gave her a watery smile. “I’m so glad to hear that.” She hugged her daughter one more time, then pulled away and headed to the door. “I better go check on Rupert. You kids should get some sleep.”

They both nodded.

Joyce then thought of something else and looked back at Buffy. She had a feeling she would regret asking her next question. “You weren’t really exercising, were you?”

Buffy looked mortified now.

Spike couldn’t stop himself from laughing, which earned him a slap on the arm.

Joyce sighed. “Never mind. I don’t even want to know.” She walked out of the room, shaking her head.

Buffy released a breath and looked at Spike, who had calmed down a little.

“That went pretty well.”

He agreed. “Yeah, but we still have my dad to talk to. We can at least wait until tomorrow for that lecture.”

Spike wrapped his arms around her and kissed her cheek as they reclined on the bed. In a few quick minutes, they were asleep.


* * * * *


Buffy and Spike walked downstairs together the next morning, and were greeted by Giles, who was sitting in the kitchen. Alone, as Joyce had left early for work.

He looked up when they walked in. It didn’t appear that he had gotten much sleep. “Take a seat.”

They obeyed in concert.

Giles took off his glasses. “I have spoken with Joyce and she doesn’t seem to be too worried about this, so I have agreed to accept it. You both mean a lot to me and all I want is your happiness.” He took Buffy’s hand in his. “You are a dear girl, Buffy. I know that you have been through a lot and you deserve some happiness in your life; I would never want to take that away from you. I honestly don’t think my son could be with anyone better.”

Buffy felt choked up as she hugged her surrogate father.

Spike smiled at the display.

“I love you, Giles.”

He held her tighter and willed himself to not get teary. “I love you, too.”

Buffy pulled away after a moment. Giles then glanced at Spike and patted him on the back. “You take care of her.”

Spike nodded. “You don’t have to worry about that.”

Ecstatic that their parents were so accepting, Buffy and Spike left the house that morning with a new, shared bounce in their steps. And once they were outside, Spike couldn’t keep himself from giving her a long, open kiss.

They didn’t have to be secretive anymore. They would finally feel like a real couple. They were smiling as they both made their way over to Spike’s car, then got in and drove off to the school.