Chapter 14

Angel arrived on Saturday night right on time.

Buffy noticed that Dawn was standing next to him with a sour look on her face. She moved out of the way to let them into the house, closing the door once they were inside. “I’m glad you guys could make it.”

Angel nodded. “Thanks for having us over.”

Joyce then came down the stairs and smiled at her guests. “I’m Joyce, Buffy’s mother,” she said and held out her hand to Angel.

“I’m Angel and this is Dawn.”

Joyce smiled at the girl, who seemed to avoid her gaze. Buffy had told her about the poor girl losing her parents and she knew that it had to be a difficult thing to go through at such a young age. She was about to say something else when the front door opened and Spike and Giles walked in.

“I will never be getting in that bloody death machine again. I’m surprised I managed to survive.” Giles stated to an obviously upset Spike.

“Hey, that’s my baby you’re talking about. She’s a classic.”

Buffy rolled her eyes when she realized what they were talking about. “Uh oh, did Giles talk bad about the Desoto? Take it from me, Giles. Don’t insult his car. You’ll never hear the end of it.”

Spike glared at her and took off his coat.

Giles did the same, then noticed their guests. “Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize we had company. I guess we are a bit late,” he said, giving his son a look.

Spike just rolled his eyes and plopped down on the couch.

Giles held his hand out to Angel. “I’m Rupert Giles.”

Angel nodded, accepting the gesture with a grin. “It’s nice to meet you.”

The introductions were made and Joyce then motioned Giles into the kitchen. “Come on, Rupert. I could use your help,” she said and led him away.

Buffy and the others sat down on the couch as they waited for dinner to be ready.


* * * * *


They all finished with dinner later that night.

“Let me help you, Mrs. Giles. It’s the least I can do.” Angel said, as Joyce began clearing off the table.

She shook her head as she turned to carry a handful of plates into the kitchen. “That won’t be necessary. You are the guest after all,” she replied. Then, coyly, she gestured to Giles, who was obediently climbing to his feet to help. “Besides, I have my man-servant.”

Giles smirked and followed her into the kitchen; Spike was right behind him.

Dawn then let out a yawn, rising to her feet. “I think I’m gonna get some fresh air.”

Angel only sighed as he watched his sister head for the front door.

Buffy stood up as well. “I’ll be right back,” she commented with a warm smile. She then walked outside to join Dawn, and found the girl sitting on the steps.

“It’s a nice night,” she said, taking a seat next to her.

Dawn remained silent.

Buffy pursed her lips and decided to be direct. “I’m sorry about your parents.”

The girl shrugged, but at least she spoke this time. “It happens; they’re most likely in a better place.”

“I know it must hurt. You were probably really close to them.”

Dawn took a breath and finally looked at Buffy. “I really miss them. Angel doesn’t understand. He doesn’t even act like their deaths meant anything to him. I never even saw him cry. So, I figured that I shouldn’t either. That maybe I would be weak if I did.”

Buffy shook her head. “I don’t think that’s true. There’s nothing wrong with crying. It shows that you really care and everyone has to do it once in a while. It’s not good to keep everything inside. I’m sure Angel wanted to cry a million times, but he just didn’t know how. It’s sometimes harder for guys. Maybe he wanted to be strong for you.”

“I know he’s trying. He’s a really good brother and I know taking care of me has to be hard. I just figured that if I do all of these things and if I act a certain way, then it wouldn’t hurt so much.”

“I think you should talk to him about this. I can tell how much he loves you. Don’t shut him out. You both need each other right now.”

Dawn was quiet for a second, then graced Buffy with a tiny smile. “Thanks,” she said.

That was all they said. They settled into a comfortable, companionable silence.

“So, your step-brother’s pretty hot,” Dawn said a few seconds later.

Buffy smiled again and tossed the girl a sly glance. “I happen to think so, too.”


* * * * *


Buffy and Dawn entered the house a little while later, and found Giles and Joyce were still in the kitchen. Spike and Angel, meanwhile, were chatting in the living room.

Angel stood up when he saw the girls.

Dawn took a deep breath and walked over to her brother, tears shining in her eyes. “I’m sorry for giving you such a hard time. I know I can be a pain, but I just really miss them.”

Angel nodded, unwittingly choked up, and wrapped his arms around his sister. “I miss them, too. It’s okay to miss them, Dawn. We just have to be able to talk about it.”

She nodded against his chest and pulled away to look at him. “I think I’m ready to talk now.”

Angel smiled at her, then turned his smile on Buffy. “Thank you,” he told her.

“Don’t mention it.”

They left a little while after that to do some serious talking when they got home.

Buffy sat next to Spike on the couch.

He put his arm around her. “You really are an amazing woman.”

Buffy smiled, touched. “I do what I can.” She rested her head on his shoulder.

He held her tighter and kissed the top of her head.

Giles and Joyce came out of the kitchen to find them like that. They gave each other a smile at how sweet the two of them looked together. They decided to give the couple some privacy and went back into the kitchen.