Chapter 15

Buffy found herself back at the Bronze a few nights later, feeling better than she had in a long while. She loved that her family and friends knew about her relationship with Spike and that they were all okay with it. She felt better knowing that she didn’t have to hide anymore. She was out with Jessica, having the time of her life on the dance floor. She wished Willow and Tara could have been there, but they decided to stay in and study instead. Buffy and Jessica were in their own little world, when someone came up behind Jessica and wrapped their arms around her waist.

Jessica turned around; it was a man she didn’t recognize. He was big and looked to be in his thirties. She moved away from him.

He flashed a twisted smirk. “Come on, baby. I was just about to have some fun.”

She took another step away from him. “Sorry, I don’t really feel like dancing with anyone right now,” she said shakily.

The man didn’t take the hint and moved closer. “Where’s the fun in that? I wanna finish that dance. You feel so good.” He trailed his fingers down her arm.

Jessica shivered.

Buffy rushed to her friend’s rescue when she was saw what was happening. “She said she didn’t want to dance. Why don’t you just get out of here?”

The man turned his cold eyes on Buffy. “I don’t remember asking you, blondie. You’ll have your turn.” He reverted his focus to Jessica, grabbing her arms and pulling her against him. “Come on, sweetheart. I’ll show you a night you’ll never forget.”

Jessica began to struggle, but he was stronger than her and her efforts hurt.

Buffy pushed at the guy, causing him to lose his grasp.

“Leave her alone,” she spat.

He glared at her. “You annoying little bitch!” he yelled and stormed over to Buffy, looking ready to hit her.

“Hey, I really hope we don’t have a problem here.”

Buffy smiled and sighed in relief when she noticed Xander.

“I think you need to leave the ladies alone.”

The man didn’t look happy about the interference. “Who the hell are you? This doesn’t concern you, buddy.”

Xander stepped up to him. “It does when it involves my friends,” he replied, surprised at the confidence in his voice.

“I only wanted to dance with the bitch,” he retorted and pointed at Jessica. “I don’t see the problem in that.”

Xander felt like pounding him in the face, but managed to keep his cool. “That’s my girl you’re talking about. I would appreciate it if you wouldn’t call her that. You need to leave if you’re going to cause trouble.”

The man stood in Xander’s face. “Yeah, what are you gonna do if I don’t?”

Xander clenched his fists at his side. He’d dealt with bullies like this in high school all of the time. He would always take their abuse, but he wasn’t in high school anymore. “If you refuse to leave, then I’m just gonna have to get physical.”

He laughed heartily. “You and what army?”

Xander didn’t know what to say to that, but someone else showed up to lend a helping hand.

“That would be me. We don’t have a problem here, do we?”

Xander turned to see Spike, who glared at the man before him.

The man suddenly reared in fear. “Sorry, Spike. I didn’t realize you knew them.”

Spike nodded. “Caught the whole show, Tom. I must say that I’m not amused.” He found Buffy and grabbed her hand, pulling her next to him. “I could be wrong here, but did I hear you call my girl an annoying bitch?”

Tom’s eyes bulged out. “I didn’t know she was your girl.”

Spike gave him a look that could kill. “I think you need to treat ladies with a little more respect, or we could have a problem. I want you to apologize to her.”

Tom obviously was going to have a hard time saying that, but the look on Spike’s face managed to convince him. “Right, I’m sorry,” he said in a rush.

Spike nodded again, even though it was a weak apology. “Now, I want you to apologize to Jessica for being too rough with her.”

Tom glanced at Jessica and sighed. “I’m sorry; I shouldn’t have grabbed you like that.”

“See,” Spike said with a nod, “that wasn’t so hard. Now we’re communicating. I want you to get out of here and don’t show your face again, unless you plan on behaving yourself. Do I make myself clear?”

Tom agreed and rapidly ran out of the club, not bothering to look back.

Spike just grinned.

Xander then hit him on the back. “That was awesome, Spike. He seemed to be really scared of you. How do you even know that guy?” he wondered.

“It’s a long story; just know that he won’t be messing with any of you again.”

Xander nodded and turned to Jessica, who was still shaken up. “You okay?”

She looked at him and gave him a smile. “Yeah, I am now. Thanks for sticking up for me.”

Xander smiled in return and put his arm around her. “It was nothing, no one hurts my girl,” he claimed, placing a quick kiss on her lips. “Why don’t we go somewhere a little more private?”

Jessica flashed him a bigger smile that time. “Yeah, good idea,” she said, pulling him away to a secluded area.

Buffy watched them go before turning back to her boyfriend. “You just keep on surprising me.”

Spike grinned. “There’s much you don’t know about me,” he told her with a wink, then walked away.

Buffy stared after him and realized that he was right, but that just made things even more interesting.