Author's Chapter Notes:
I hope you guys didn't lose interest in this story already. I haven't even gotten to the good stuff yet. I wasn't sure about writing this at first, so reviews would be very appreciated. So I at least know that it doesn't suck, or you can tell me it does suck. I'll pretty much take anything right about now. Thanks to the people that have reviewed. I really do appreciate it=)
Chapter 4

Buffy and Spike were laughing as they walked into the kitchen. They stopped suddenly because they were surprised to see Giles still at the house.

Joyce noticed that something was wrong immediately. “Honey, what happened to your face?” she asked, touching a bruise on her daughter’s cheek.

Buffy winced and tried to think of what to tell her. “Well, it was a funny story actually,” she started, looking at Spike for help.

He saw the expression on her face and turned to Joyce. “Right, it was my fault. I elbowed her in the face by mistake. I wasn't paying attention and didn't see her behind me. I felt really bad about it.”

Buffy nodded emphatically and turned back to her mother.

Joyce stared at both of them incredulously for a long moment, but nodded anyway. “Okay, as long as you’re all right. Come on, Buffy. Why don’t you tell me how school is going?” She took Buffy’s hand and pulled her out of the kitchen.

Spike looked uncomfortable after they left. “I guess I better head home now,” he said.

Giles stopped him before he could leave. “Please stay a while, William. I was hoping we could talk.”

Spike turned back to him and crossed his arms over his chest. “What? You bought me something to buy me off? You know that won’t work with me.”

Giles shook his head. “Yes, I know. Why didn’t you tell me that you have been feeling neglected? I thought that when you moved out, it was because you wanted to be away from me.”

Spike sighed. “I didn’t move just to get away from you. I was fine here. I’m just older now and I knew it wouldn’t be cool to still be living with my parents. It wasn’t because of you,” he said quietly.

“I’m sorry that I haven’t been around much, but I would like to make it up to you.”

Spike shook his head. “I’m okay with it, Dad. I’m a grown man; I don’t need you to be around all the time. It’s not me you have to make it up to, and I don’t think you can just buy them something every time. Buffy may go for that, but I know Joyce won’t. Buffy needs you; she needs a father right now. She needs to know that she and her mum won’t be abandoned again—that you’ll always be there.”

Giles was surprised at what his son said. He couldn’t believe how grown up he was. “Yes, you are quite right. I love Buffy just as I love you.” He paused for a moment. “You know that I love you, don’t you?”

Spike nodded. “Yeah, I know. I love you, too. Even if you are a ponce sometimes.”

“I heard that.”

“I was hoping you would,” he replied with a smile.

Giles returned his smile. “I’m glad we had this talk, son. You can stay another night here if you like.”

“No, it’s okay. I did move out for a reason; think I should go home tonight. I’ll see you later.”

Giles nodded and watched his son walk out of the house. He turned around to see Joyce standing behind him, and flashed her a smile.

Joyce went over to him. “Is everything okay?” she asked.

Giles nodded again and kissed her forehead. “Yes, I believe everything is fine now. I have a smart son. I wonder why I never realized it before.”

Joyce agreed and thought about Buffy. “Yeah, I think we have both been clueless about how smart those two can be.”

Giles put his arm around Joyce.

She rested her head on his shoulder.

He thought about how lost he’d been after his wife passed away, when he’d decided to move away from England to start over. He never imagined that he would ever find love again so soon, but he was very grateful for Joyce and Buffy. He loved his family and he wouldn’t change anything for the world.


* * * * *


Buffy walked into her first class the next day and smiled when she saw her teacher. She moved over to him. “Hi, Professor Donovan.”

He looked up at her. “You can call me Angel. What can I do for you?”

Buffy took a deep breath before she answered. “I just wanted to say how much I really enjoy your class. I’m learning a lot. You know, in the short time that I’ve had.”

Angel smiled. “Well, I’m glad to hear that.”

Spike entered the classroom at that moment and stopped when he noticed Buffy talking to Angel.

“If you ever need any help, you know you can come to me,” Angel told her.

“I’ll be sure to keep that in mind,” she replied.

Spike rolled his eyes and walked over to his desk.

Buffy noticed him and moved away from Angel as more students walked into the room.

Angel started to write something on the board.

Spike went over to Buffy. “Does someone have a crush on their professor?” he whispered in her ear.

She glared at him. “That’s none of your business. You shouldn’t be eavesdropping.”

“I can’t help it. Your life is just so interesting,” he replied sarcastically.

“So what if I like him? Why do you care? It’s not like anything would happen, anyway.”

Spike nodded. “You’re right about that. He’s your teacher and you know that’s against the rules. He also happens to be engaged.”

Buffy felt hurt when Spike told her that. She also felt a little embarrassed. “Oh, I knew that.”

“Sure you did. You should sit down now. Class is about to start.”

Buffy sighed and walked over to her seat.

Spike watched her go. She seemed to really like Angel and it wasn’t right for him to tease her like that. He saw how hurt she looked when he told her about Angel being engaged. He couldn’t help it, though. He didn’t like seeing her so close to him. He couldn’t really understand the feeling he was having, but he didn’t like it. He watched Buffy for a while longer as she was writing something down in her notebook. Spike couldn’t deny it anymore. She was very beautiful. He always thought so, but he would never admit it. He then started to realize what that feeling was that he was having. It was jealousy.

When had that started?