Chapter 6

Buffy and her friends entered the Bronze later that night, determined to have some fun.

Willow and Jessica snagged a table, while Buffy went to the bar to order drinks.

She smiled when she recognized the bartender. “Hey, Xander. How are things going?”

He grinned back. “Things are pretty good. How are you, Buff? I feel like I haven’t seen you here in a while.”

“Yeah, been a little busy. I’ll just have two cokes and a cherry coke.”

Xander nodded. “Coming right up,” he replied and left to fetch the drinks.

A second later, Jessica tapped Buffy on the shoulder.

She turned to look at her.

“Tara’s here now and I wanted to tell you to get another coke.”

Buffy didn’t believe that was the only reason that Jessica walked over to the bar, but she didn’t say anything about it.

Xander reappeared and placed the drinks down in front of her.

Buffy shot him another dazzling smile. “We need one more coke.”

He nodded and wordlessly turned to adhere her request.

Jessica licked her lips predatorily. “Xander is really looking good.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “You seriously need a boyfriend.”

There was nothing to say to that—it was the truth, after all.

Xander came back with the coke.

Buffy gathered two of the orders together while Jessica snatched the other two, flashing the bartender a smile. “Hi, Xander. You look nice today,” she told him.

Xander paled and gulped. “Thanks, so do you.”

Buffy rolled her eyes again and left them to their flirting. It was obvious that Xander had a crush on Jessica, and though Jessica basically had a crush on every guy she came in contact with, but Buffy had a feeling that her friend really liked Xander.

Buffy headed back over to the table, where Willow and Tara were waiting. She set the drinks down, then took a seat.

Jessica practically skipped over to them a few minutes later, a big smile on her face. She issued out the remaining drinks before flopping down next to Buffy.

“You look happy,” Buffy observed.

“I just snagged a date with Xander tomorrow night.”

Buffy smiled. “Really, how did that happen? Did you finally ask him out?”

Jessica shook her head. “I didn’t have to; he asked me out.”

Buffy was astounded that Xander actually made the first move. He always had trouble talking to girls in high school.

“Well, it’s about time you two got together,” Willow commented.

Jessica turned her smile toward the redhead. “Yep. I’m on Cloud Nine. I say we dance.” She grabbed Buffy’s hand without waiting for a response and yanked her away from the table and onto the dance floor.

Tara, who had remained silent the whole time, turned to Willow. She hadn’t known Willow’s friends all that long and still felt a little shy around them. “Would you like to dance?” she asked, taking a risk.

Willow graced her with a genuine smile as she got up and pulled Tara up with her, moving to the dance floor. A slow song came on and Willow wrapped her arms around her girlfriend.

Tara returned the gesture and shyly turned away from the redhead’s gaze.

“You look really great tonight,” Willow said.

Tara finally looked up at her and blushed. She then rested her head on Willow’s shoulder as they both continued to move slowly to the music.


* * * * *


Buffy was standing by herself on the dance floor, having been abandoned when Jessica left her to go to the restroom. Only, it seemed her friend had been gone for quite a while, thus when she finally returned with her hair all messed up, it gave Buffy some cause for concern.

Until Xander appeared, his hair similarly mussed. It wasn’t difficult to guess at what they’d been doing.

Xander flashed Buffy an embarrassed smile, then returned to work.

Jessica shrugged and leapt right back onto the dance floor.

Buffy shook her head and remained stationary. She wasn’t in a dancing mood right now. She stood alone and observed all of the other couples. It was times like this that she really wished she had a boyfriend. The only thing that could jar her from her reverie was the sight of Spike entering the Bronze. Her face lit up and she waved to him eagerly.

Spike grinned when he caught her eyes and wasted no time in approaching her.

“Hey! Glad you made it.”

Spike nodded. “Yeah, told you I would.”

“So, care to have that dance now?”

He shook his head. “I think I’ll sit this one out. I’ll just watch you.”

Buffy shrugged and made her way to where Jessica was on the dance floor. A fast song started to play and she moved with her friend, who had a group of guys dancing around her. More seemed to show up when Buffy started to dance.

Spike knew he wasn’t a good dancer and was okay stepping out of this one, but it still killed him to see Buffy dancing with other guys around her. Even though she didn’t seem to be paying any attention to them. She looked bloody amazing out there. She had all the right moves.

Spike shook his head and decided that he really needed a drink. He headed for the bar, his mind still racing.

“I’ll have Bourbon.”

Xander handed him his drink, and Spike downed it at once, practically slamming the empty glass on the bar when he was finished.

“You feeling okay, Spike? You drank that kinda fast.”

Spike nodded, the alcohol burning his throat. “I’m fine; just have a lot on my mind.”

“Having problems with Faith?”

Spike shook his head. “We’re over, but that’s not what’s bothering me.”

Xander was waiting for Spike to elaborate and when he didn’t, he just shrugged and stared at the dance floor. “Man, Buffy’s looking hot out there,” he commented, realizing it wasn’t a smart thing to say when he saw the deadly expression on Spike’s face. “Not that I was checking her out or anything. I wouldn’t look at your sister like that.”

The statement wore on Spike’s nerves. “She’s not my sister,” he spat a little harshly and got up quickly, almost knocking the barstool over. He stormed outside and didn’t even look back.

Xander watched him go and wondered what was up with his friend. He really hoped everything was okay.