Chapter 7

Another uneventful week went by.

Spike trudged into his old childhood house. He still had a key, so he let himself in. There were no lights on, so he figured his dad was working late again; Joyce was likely at the gallery. He wondered where Buffy was as he headed up the stairs.

He got up there just in time to see Buffy exit the restroom, her hair dripping wet and a towel hugging her body. He stopped suddenly and looked away from her. “Oh, bloody hell,” he mumbled to himself.

Buffy was astonished to see him there. “Hey, I didn’t know you were coming over.”

He turned back to her, taking a deep breath. She didn’t seem at all embarrassed to be standing in front of him in nothing but a towel.

Spike cleared his throat before he spoke. “Yeah, just thought I would stop by,” he remarked, trying to make casual conversation.

Buffy smiled softly. “Okay, just give me a second while I get dressed.”

Spike let out the breath he was holding once she went into her room. He remained stationary as he waited for her return.

She came out a few minutes later, dressed in sweats. Spike was extremely relieved for that, even though she still looked gorgeous.

“That’s better. You wanna watch a movie or something? If you’re not doing anything else.”

Spike nodded, not being able to form any words. They turned together and made their way downstairs. And he didn’t object when Buffy selected The Mummy, because it was her favorite movie.

Spike grinned. She was the only girl that he knew of that liked action movies as much as him. Well, except for Faith. All of the other girls were into chick flicks and he was just grateful that he didn’t have to sit through one of those.


* * * * *


Spike glanced over at Buffy when the credits rolled to see that she was passed out. He smiled and moved away from her, shutting off the television. He lifted her into his arms and moved upstairs. He took her into her room and gently placed her on the bed. Just watching her sleep, he realized again how much he really loved her. It was so much more than just the step-sibling love that he always felt for her. Spike had been really miserable when he lost his mother, but he was very thankful for Buffy and Joyce. He gave her a kiss on the forehead and was about to leave, when her voice stopped him.

“How did I get up here?” she wondered in a groggy voice.

“I carried you, pet. I can’t believe you fell asleep during the movie. You must have really been tired.”

Buffy nodded and sat up. “You could say that.” She patted the bed.

Spike took that as his cue and sat down next to her.

“Is something on your mind?”

He shook his head. “No, what makes you say that?”

Buffy shrugged. “You’ve been acting weird all week. I have a feeling it’s about more than Faith. You wanna talk about it?”

“It’s nothing for you to worry about.”

Buffy wasn’t convinced, but she wouldn’t pester him about it.

Spike gazed at her and knew what has been bothering him. She looked too adorable sitting there and he was starting to lose what little control he had left. Then he couldn’t take it anymore. He had to kiss her or he would go crazy. He leaned closer and touched his lips to hers in a gentle caress; consequences be damned.

Buffy was taken by surprise at first, then found herself kissing him back.

He slipped his tongue inside her mouth, and moaned when she massaged him with hers. Spike couldn’t remember anything ever feeling so good. Eventually, he had to pull away when breathing became an issue, and placed a quick peck on the tip of her nose to ward off awkwardness.

Buffy had her eyes closed. She opened them when he stopped kissing her. And they sat in silence, neither knowing what to say.

Spike decided to be the one to speak first. “I’m sorry. I probably shouldn’t have done that.”

Buffy frowned, hurt, and turned away from him.

Spike could tell what she was thinking and placed his finger under her chin. He tilted her head up, so she was looking into his eyes. “I’m not sorry I kissed you, Buffy. I could never be sorry about that. I’m just sorry for the way I did it. You were surprised and you probably didn’t want it.”

Buffy shook her head, taking his hand in hers. “I did want it,” she responded softly.

“You did?”

Buffy nodded, taking a deep breath before telling him what she needed to get off of her chest. “I’ve always had such a huge crush on you, Spike. Ever since I was a little girl. You’re older than me and could get anyone you want. I never thought you would have ever noticed me.” She considered all of the times that she secretly wanted him. She knew that nothing would ever happen, so she just repressed those thoughts. She never knew that he would grow to have feelings for her in a romantic way.

Spike couldn’t believe what he was hearing. “I have always noticed you. You’re all I can bloody think about, Buffy. I never did anything before because I was afraid that I would scare you away. I didn’t think you would see me as anything more than a brother.”

Buffy gave him a shy smile. “I definitely don’t think of you as a brother. I never really did.”

Spike smiled in return. “That works out nicely then,” he commented, again kissing her on the lips. This time putting more passion behind it.

They knew things wouldn’t be easy for them if they were going to be together. Their parents were married and nothing would ever change that.

Spike hoped that they would understand because there was no way he was going to give her up.


* * * * *


Joyce was out for a stroll when she was done at the gallery later that night. She decided to head to the Espresso Pump for a cappuccino and when she got there, she suddenly stopped. She looked in the window and saw Rupert sitting down and talking with a dark haired woman, who looked a little younger than him. She kept staring, when her husband placed his hand over the woman’s and smiled at her.

Joyce tried not to let her tears fall at the scene. She just turned and walked away, feeling her heart break into a million pieces.